looking to get traxxas jato 3.3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boss306

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hi looking to get a traxxas jato 3.3 i am also new to nitro rc cars i am 28yrs and have a good amount of knowledge of what makes a engine go boom but not familiar with nitro rc cars what is the best method to break in a traxxas 3.3 engine should i use traxxas top fuel what % do they like how long do glow plugs last etc i have done a good deal of reading on the jato but can anybody that has one give me any info that could help thanks.

Well traxxas recommends at least 20% nitro but imo i dont like traxxas top fuel at all. I never could get my rigs to tune good to it. I run byrons 20and 33%. It has 16% oil which helps to keep your engine temps down better than the 12% in top fuel. Although odonnels is my next choice and its 12% oil as well but still a much better fuel than traxxas. Glow plugs should last at least for a gallon or better of fuel if you keep a good tune on the rig. Running too lean will burn them up fast. Running too rich will cause build up on them and shorten the life as well. As far as breaking it in traxxas has a detailed 5 tank breakin method that you need to follow exactly for the best results and longevity of your 3.3 engine. If not you will chance breaking the rod and piston due to improper breakin. The entire process should take no longer than 1 1/2 to 2 hours if you do it all in one day. The carb settings from factory will be rich for breakin and need to stay that way till finished and you may experience burnt plugs sluggish performance and stalling while trying to complete it or you may not experience any of this. The manuals will walk you through everything you need to know to get started and start a performance tune when broke in. Hope this helps you and good luck with your jato 3.3. It is a fast little rig outta the box after breakin. Around 65+ mph stock.

Make sure when you get into this hobby, you set yourself up with tools and such to properly maintain the rig because it will need alot of TLC.

Personally I love Traxxas Top Fuel, I run 20% and have never had any issues with it. I also run Traxxas plugs. Your going to love your Jato, they are WICKED fast!

Make sure when you get into this hobby, you set yourself up with tools and such to properly maintain the rig because it will need alot of TLC.

Personally I love Traxxas Top Fuel, I run 20% and have never had any issues with it. I also run Traxxas plugs. Your going to love your Jato, they are WICKED fast!

lol! wicked lol!

What are your plans with for Jato? I think the Traxxas break in method is fine, after you've run the 5 tanks you should still run it slightly on the rich side so that you keep the engine nice and lubricated. The 3.3 has a reputation for splitting con rods, if you have a good tune and don't keep the thing WOT for any crazy amount of time you'll be fine. If you decide you want more out of the 3.3, people are putting the carb from Losi's 3.4 on it and they say it wakes the engine up, I haven't tried it yet but do plan on it. You should grab some different tires, especially if you plan on going off road at all, the Anacondas have no bite once they leave pavement. Proline Badlands are a great choice for OFF ROAD ONLY, they will wear quickly on concrete but hook up extremely well in grass and dirt. If you plan on getting any air under the tires I also recommend a chassis brace, it stiffens the upper chassis and helps lower the chances of it breaking (helps is not the same as stops). Main thing to remember is to stay away from Integy parts(I think they have 2 products that are ok) and RD Logics exhaust. Read over the nitro tuning chart we have stickied here and be sure to post pics, we all like new rides.

---------- Post added at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

Also, are you getting it new or used?

I used 20% dynamite blue thunder for my jato 3.3. Its ok fuel not the best but all that my lhs carried.

The Badlands are an AWESOME tire setup, they move the truck on dirt with plenty of roost to prove it.

Heres my Jato I have with my old Badlands.
P1070361.jpg

P1070360.jpg

i dont plan on much if any air time with the jato it will be used for hard pack dirt and concret i do have a set of precision tools.

If your looking for a used one, the one pictured above is FS, food for thought :D and actually have street tires and wheels now.

Sorry to fade OT, but I love gore in my video games and the one pictured was the toon who litterally scared me from playing into Resident Evil 3 for PS1 when I was younger. Ever since I played against him and have known about him, he has been one of my favorite villans :D

if you plan on just using it on hard pack and concrete/asphalt the lowering kit from traxxas is a good investment.

Sorry to fade OT, but I love gore in my video games and the one pictured was the toon who litterally scared me from playing into Resident Evil 3 for PS1 when I was younger. Ever since I played against him and have known about him, he has been one of my favorite villans :D

If I used to see him I was off in the other direction I still to this day haven't found anything which is as scary on a game but then again I've grown up well phisyically anyway lol

Haha yeah the Nemesis aint no joke, glad he isnt real :hehe:

Back