Looking for upgradable Tabletop RC car

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metalgeekzy

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I am looking to get into RC cars as a hobby. But i want ones i can upgrade/modify I have my eye on a taxxas Bandit, but thats later down the line.

Right now I'm looking for a small ish tabletop car i can upgrade/modify. Maybe something about the size of a Hotwheels car or a bit bigger. Any suggestion is welcome!

Honestly I wouldn't go any smaller than a 1/24 scale, but that's just me. Any smaller and you are going to have a very tough time finding parts.
There is a good selection of parts available for the SCX24 crawlers. I would start there.
If you have eyes like mine, you wouldn't be able to see anything smaller than a 1/24 scale anyways. :p
There is a few guys here in the process of modding their 1/24 scale crawlers as we speak so they can give you some pointers.
They have some pretty awesome rigs.
Welcome in by the way.

I agree with above ^^^

There is the Orlandoo 1/32 rc's. Now those guys have a lot of upgrades, and if you can handle tiny screws and such, they are said to be great, and have a lot of people running them. So there is a good support base. You can find FB groups on them.

But by far the absolute best small scale stuff I have seen in my 35+ years in the hobby is the Axial SCX24. I am currently buolding a table top crawler course for ours. You can see the progress here...
Indoor 1/24 Rock Crawler Course

Man the prices on some of these are insane. I found a few kits online for 60-80 bucks or so, but dosent come with remotes or charges or anything. By the time i add in all that it comes to about 150 ish dollars.
The bandit i have my eye on, 1/10 scale, is 190 dollars and comes with everything. Might as well go with one of those. I was looking for something around 60 dollars, has everything, can upgrade and customize over time.

And thanks for the welcome @Tunedpipe

Man the prices on some of these are insane. I found a few kits online for 60-80 bucks or so, but dosent come with remotes or charges or anything. By the time i add in all that it comes to about 150 ish dollars.
The bandit i have my eye on, 1/10 scale, is 190 dollars and comes with everything. Might as well go with one of those. I was looking for something around 60 dollars, has everything, can upgrade and customize over time.

And thanks for the welcome @Tunedpipe
Any decent RC you are going to have over $100 in. But in the small scale stuff, upgradeable, and good quality, you won't do any better than the two I mentioned.

Now, there is also WLToys. These are a cheaper Chinese brand, and lets face it, probably 75% or more of this hobby is made in China. But the WLToys stuff has been around awhile and really isn't bad. They have some small scale stuff too, and there are quite a few upgrades for them.

But if you want a good intro into RC, I can't recommend the SCX24 enough. You can get them for $125-$135 and they come with everything you need in the box. Even the AA batteries for the remote.

I would however recommend a good charger for charging LiPo batteries though. The USB chargers are shite and will only cause you to waste money buying new LiPo's all the time. Learn about Lipo batteries, charging, and LiPo safety before you buy an RC that uses Lipo's. There are tons of vids on YT about all this. Hobby grade RC's are not toys until you learn about this. After you understand this, have fun! 😉

Best advice I can give you right meow is don't rush in and buy something until you have learned a little bit about the hobby. There are plenty of great guys here that have tons of experience that will answer all your questions. Shop around. Ask questions. Get some info before you just go buy something. If you have a local hobby shop, give them a visit.

Oh, and welcome to the best RC forum on the www 😉

Last edited:
I am looking to get into RC cars as a hobby. But i want ones i can upgrade/modify I have my eye on a taxxas Bandit, but thats later down the line.

Right now I'm looking for a small ish tabletop car i can upgrade/modify. Maybe something about the size of a Hotwheels car or a bit bigger. Any suggestion is welcome!
If you get to the point where you want to buy a bandit I would suggest the Rustler over the bandit. More hop ups available for it. The Bandit is not a very popular model. and yes this hobby is very expensive. Most of us have at least one or more kits that we have over 1k, 2K, or possibly even more invested in them. Not that you have to get that extreme but its definitely easy to do.

Last edited:
@Metalgeekzy I'm also a fan of the scx24's while there are some less expensive rc's out there, they are borderline toy grade. If you want something to upgrade and work on your options are more limited.

WPL does have a decent selection of less expensive stuff that is upgradable, but the quality is not as good as the more popular brands. They can be seen HERE.

If you can squeeze a little more out of the budget I would go with the Axial SCX 24 series, they can be seen HERE

Welcome to the RC mad house.. for under a 100.. sorry you won't really find any thing hobby grade.. if you really want in.. don't waste your money on something you will throw in garbage.. get your self something on the cheap end of the hobby. And go from there. And there alot to consider like everyone said above.. I mean you won't regret it.. if it's something you really like and enjoy.. But fair warning ⚠️. It can get very expensive over time.. very you think that 190 is a sticker shock.. that's are weekly RC fund and have RC kits that have over thousands into them and everything else that goes along with the hobby...

So just go slow start low always room to move up... but also consider where are you driving on/off road. 4wd /2wd truck car. Who's got parts where to get parts. It's not just about the kit or RC it self... there's alot of things to consider..... if any more ?? Pop up just ask we all can help you out. The guy to my self above the scale in rc knowledge ranges from 1/ 24 up to 1/5 monster RCs. So we all can help out with about anything. That you have on you mind

Back