Looking for long driving tips

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetdiesel

aka SouRGassssssss
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I'm about to go on a long drive by myself tomorrow. Heading up north to pick up a new car. The total trip will take about 13 hours, 724 miles round trip.

This will be the furthest I've driven by myself. Those of you who are road warriors....what are some things you do to keep your sanity?

For me, lots of redbull and no-doz, or coffee, but it's too hot for coffee down here in the summer time. I also make up games along the way, such as word searches using the letters from license plates and things such as that. Lastly, I listen to talk radio, which helps to kep me alert, as music will put me to sleep 8 hours into an interstate drive.

IPOD...don't forget it. If you have XM or Sirius, that is fantastic. Nothing sucks more than no radio reception for decent stations.

Look into cars that pass you or that you pass, it gives you something to do and sometimes you actually get to see a hottie.

If you feel yourself getting drowsy, pull over and take a walk.

Map out any hobby shop along the way and stop at it.

If you are driving yourself to pick-up a car and bring it home, are you putting it on a trailer to bring it back?

Good music goes a long way for me. Stop and stretch every 3-4 hours. (or as often as you feel is necessary) The same sitting position will wear on you big time.

Oh, and pay attention to speed limits. The same standard in your area may not be the standard in others. I drive 10 over on the Cleveland area highways all the time. Cops don't much care around here unless your over 15. However, on my way back up from Daytona in Feb. I got pulled over for doing 80 in a 70 in N.C. at night with virtually zero traffic. Fortunatly he didn't ticket me. He must have appreciated my honesty. I just told him I was trying to make time. :shrug:

Oh yea, one more thing. When I start to get sleepy, I pull over and take a walk, and then after driving for a little while I start calling people. I mostly call girls because they can talk for hours lol, and that keeps me awake.

I watch for CHP as I tend to drive alittle fast, this takes most of my time on long trips.

I am renting a car in my home town and driving it to the destination airport. The seller is going to meet me at the airport and part ways from there. No XM or satellite radio available on the rental, and my ipod is packed away in a box somewhere. I was thinking of picking up a portable DVD player, but it's illegal to drive with it in view of the driver....:\

I'll be on 101 for 90% of the trip....It looks like the only hobby shop is HT in Petaluma. If you guys are racing tomorrow I'll stop by and say hi.

I've got the redbull and gatorade in a cooler. No doz hurts my stomach.

Thanks for the great tips guys... watching for CHP and speed limits, stopping for walks. I will also pretend I am the MILF hunter lol.

I am renting a car in my home town and driving it to the destination airport. The seller is going to meet me at the airport and part ways from there. No XM or satellite radio available on the rental, and my ipod is packed away in a box somewhere. I was thinking of picking up a portable DVD player, but it's illegal to drive with it in view of the driver....:\

I'll be on 101 for 90% of the trip....It looks like the only hobby shop is HT in Petaluma. If you guys are racing tomorrow I'll stop by and say hi.

I've got the redbull and gatorade in a cooler. No doz hurts my stomach.

Thanks for the great tips guys... watching for CHP and speed limits, stopping for walks. I will also pretend I am the MILF hunter lol.

Ed might be racing, but I won't be able to make it.

At least 101 is a decent drive as far as scenery.

Jakes Performance Hobbies is right off the freeway in Rohnert Park. JPHRacing.com

It is a nice shop to stop into. They were also selling the Losi Mini Crawler for $219 if you were interested.

Last edited:
Get an earpiece for your cell phone, an batt charger. Small snacks like crackers, or cookies r good, cuz it changes "driving routine". I also use high energy music in the early morning, and late afternoon like techno, disco, or heavy metal. I also have a vibrating explorer, (just ask charles) it helps the trip go by.

Best thing i got for the 12hours in car-5 days a week, ATT aircard. State issued of course.

Jakes Performance Hobbies is right off the freeway in Rohnert Park. JPHRacing.com

I'll check it out. Looks like a cool shop.

Get an earpiece for your cell phone, an batt charger. Small snacks like crackers, or cookies r good, cuz it changes "driving routine". I also use high energy music in the early morning, and late afternoon like techno, disco, or heavy metal. I also have a vibrating explorer, (just ask charles) it helps the trip go by.

I've got a pretty good selection of high energy music. I was also thinking of trying out a book on cd. What is a vibrating explorer?

If you were making the trip last Saturday, you would have been able to see their urban rock crawling comp. You would have been wanting an Axial if you saw that. It's what happened to me.

The book CD is a good idea, just make sure that its an interestin one. I've driven 18-21 hour stints from Ft riley KS to agusta Georgia and I found that the music kinda blends togeather after awhile, and a little news on the radio or a good cd book mixes it up.

and what is a vibrating explorer??

When I drove to NJ from KY I rented a car as well and took my laptop with me and put it in the front passenger seat. Before I left I loaded a GPS mapping software on it and it talked to me the entire way there.

Always good to read out directions and good for a laugh listening to it... Just ask Eddy about it :D

Now when I travel I have Sirius radio and listen to it. The talk shows are usually an hour or two long and sports 24/7 so I always have something good to listen to. I also like driving so long trips don't really bother me. Sometimes I take my camera and keep it unpacked so while I'm driving if I see a place to pull over I can take a few snaps. Gets me out of the car to move around and awake :)

-Michael

I use to drive a lot when I was shooting the Nascar curcuit. I would get a good night sleep before the drive, have a few cups of strong coffee before heading out, and had a good selection of aggressive music on cd. Punk, metal, industrial, NO pink floyd, lol. I only stopped when I needed gas, but when I did stop I would park and get out and walk around, take a wiz, snag a snicker bar and some more coffee. Later, when Red Bull hit the scene, I had those during the day and coffee in the mornings. Also on long trips during winter months I would not use heat, it will make you all warm and snuggly and want to nod off, crack that window and let the brisk air blow in. Finally, when it gets to the point where you are slapping yourself to stay awake, it's time to pull over at a rest stop and get a few zzzzs. :D

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I'll be sure to get to bed early tonight. I'll post pics of the new rig when I get back.

i like to keep a mix of music, i just let the ipod shuffle and see what comes up. I'm a very alert driver so i hardly get sleepy because I'm always watching for the next idiot that is going to do something stupid. having someone to ride with you definatly helps, but i guess that isnt an option for you.

Before I left I loaded a GPS mapping software on it and it talked to me the entire way there.

Woodie can you post a link to the GPS software? I'd like to learn more about it.

You have to have a usb gps module. Walmart you can get a gps for like $150 now.