Looking for Confirmation

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RvMcG

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Evening folks!

I'm a bit of an electric noob, think I know my issue but don't have any local hobby shops to confirm.

The Xmaxx I bought is a second hand 8s and I didn't strip it too far back when I bought it as it was running, I just repaired and upgraded exterior bits. I took it out for 10 mins tonight and it lost all drive and was making a horrible noise, sure enough pinion came of.

Sadly after putting pinion back on it immediately came loose, I'm assuming the shaft out of the motor isn't supposed to look as battered as mine does.

Is that why my pinion is coming off? Is it replacable or am I looking at a new motor?

20220719_202522.jpg

20220719_202525.jpg

20220719_202519.jpg

Welcome in @RvMcG , one thing I noticed is part of the problem is I'm sure you didn't use loctite and if you did, it should sit for at least 24 hours.

I would say you need a new motor. Thats a lot of shaft damage from the pinion coming loose many many many times. As mentioned above, any time you set a pinion gear, always use loctite on the set screw. And always let it set up for 24 hours to be sure it cured.

I think the chap that had it before me had no kind of concept of service/maintenance as I keep finding bodge repairs and lack of care. One of the shocks had no oil in!

No evidence of loctite anywhere so I will assume that the shaft is knackered due to this as mentioned @Mrgoodwrench35 .

Is the shaft not a serviceable item?

I never use Loctite on grub screws in my pinion . I have always replaced then after 2 x tighting or loosening along with pinion..id cleanout that pinion spur area clean . more than likely motor bearing are trashed so new motor is needed.

I don't mind using blue Loctite but I'll bet that grub screw was never set in the flat of the shaft of the motor. Considering the state of the shaft I'd probably go with another motor because the bearings are probably just as bad.

Yep that seems to be the general consensus...Best dust the wallet off 😀

After looking a bit closer to your pic, I agree with everybody, new motor time.

Is there any play on the motor shaft? Not sure if you can get a rebuild kit but the bearings are easy to replace in the motor. Just pay attention to the shims that come out.

Could probably try to clean the burs up and put a small flat spot on the shaft for the grub screw to bite on. Then blue loctite the grub. Not much to loose at this point. Might get you by till you get replacements.

I can't tell you how many wheels I've had fall off of a plane while in the air because I didn't grind a flat spot!

Back