Looking for advice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cjberquist

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey y’all
I’m new to the forum and new to the RC world and need some opinions.
I’m looking for a 4x4 off-road truck for my 7 year old son as a Christmas present and hoping we can both get into it together and share a fun hobby, with that said I really don’t want to spend to much on something unless either he , we or I decide it’s something we enjoy more than just a monthly zip around the yard . I got him a drone for his birthday and he LOVED it the whole 2 days he had it lol then lost it 80’ In a tree so I’m thinking ground is the way to go . So really opinions on a truck that’s priced well enough that it captures the hobby quality RC but also low enough that it won’t hurt to bad if he decides it’s not for him or better we decide we love it and replace it with a better quality and more options for aftermarket. I have a big gravel driveway with areas of mud , grass , sticks etc won’t be on concrete so definitely something fun for tearing through gravel and dirt. Thanks In advance!

This might fit the bill: https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...brushed-short-course-truck-rtr/ARA4203V3.html

It's not very expensive and it's a 4X4 that's got everything you need to run it but the 4 AA batteries for the Transmitter. HOrizon Hobby is also good about having replacement parts for things that might break on hand as well as upgrade parts for their house brands like Arma.
Thanks! How would you say it compares to the Arma granite voltage? That is one that I have been eyeing the past few days

Hey y’all
I’m looking for a 4x4 off-road truck for my 7 year old son as a Christmas present and hoping we can both get into it together and share a fun hobby, with that said I really don’t want to spend to much on something unless either he , we or I decide it’s something we enjoy more than just a monthly zip around the yard . I got him a drone for his birthday and he LOVED it the whole 2 days he had it lol then lost it 80’ In a tree so I’m thinking ground is the way to go . So really opinions on a truck that’s priced well enough that it captures the hobby quality RC but also low enough that it won’t hurt to bad if he decides it’s not for him or better we decide we love it and replace it with a better quality and more options for aftermarket. I have a big gravel driveway with areas of mud , grass , sticks etc won’t be on concrete so definitely something fun for tearing through gravel and dirt. Thanks In advance!
Do you have a hobby shop that is local to you? That can sometimes make a difference, mostly due to parts and upgrades. The best bet would be to see what is near you, and see what they carry in stock. You dont want to buy something, have it break (breakages with RC cars, especially with new drivers, is to be expected), and then find out the only way you can get parts is to order them online and wait for them. With that said, some of the more common brands hobby shops can carry are Traxxas, Arrma, Redcat Racing, Losi, Team Associated. Of those brands, i would try to stick with Arrma. Redcat Racing makes lower priced vehicles, but quality is hit or miss (the best Redcat vehicles I've seen are the Blackout line), Losi and Team associated 4X4's are a bit pricey, and Traxxas typically needs a lot of upgrades and repairs. Arrma is owned by Horizon Hobby, and there vehicles are not only durable, HH's customer support is one of the best i have ever dealt with.

As for the Arrma Senton previously mentioned, there is also the Arrma Granite and Arrma Typhon, but that is a buggy. The senton is a bit more stable to drive, due to it being lower to the ground, but, at high speeds, like most SCT's, tends to lift the front, due to what is known as kiting or parachuting, which does at times affect driveability. The Granite, like most other monster trucks, tends to roll over easily if cornering too fast. The typhon, like most buggies, tends to have some of the characteristics of both monster trucks and short course trucks (SCT's). Any true hobby grade RC has the ability to be upgraded, and Arrma, due to the design, is probably the easiest to work on, as well as upgrade, and, with companies like T-Bone and RPM, can be easily overbuilt. Every RC has it ups and downsides, just like anything else, but a lot of factors affect it, so recommending a perfect vehicle isnt always easy or possible.

Some of my recommendations, in order, would be: Arrma Granite or Senton, Redcat Blackout SC or Blackout XTE (although, with a disclaimer: Redcat, when they need repairs, if a local shop doesn't stock parts, can take a week or more to get, and Redcat stuff is more complicated than any other brand i know of to work on), Traxxas Slash and Stampede (only because, even though they do tend to need repairs more often, parts support and aftermarket support for Traxxas is bigger than any of the other brands, although Arrma is catching up). Another problem i see with Traxxas is their ID battery system. Its kind of like Apple products, in that its propietary, which means only certain batteries and chargers, which tend to be more pricey than other brands, will work with Traxxas vehicles.

Something else to consider is the charger that comes with any RTR vehicle. They tend to take 6-8 hours to charge a NIMH battery, and the battery gets, at most 15 minutes total runtime, so, at the least, if its something you really get into you will need a faster charger, and possibly more and better batteries.

Last edited:
Do you have a hobby shop that is local to you? That can sometimes make a difference, mostly due to parts and upgrades. The best bet would be to see what is near you, and see what they carry in stock. You dont want to buy something, have it break (breakages with RC cars, especially with new drivers, is to be expected), and then find out the only way you can get parts is to order them online and wait for them. With that said, some of the more common brands hobby shops can carry are Traxxas, Arrma, Redcat Racing, Losi, Team Associated. Of those brands, i would try to stick with Arrma. Redcat Racing makes lower priced vehicles, but quality is hit or miss (the best Redcat vehicles I've seen are the Blackout line), Losi and Team associated 4X4's are a bit pricey, and Traxxas typically needs a lot of upgrades and repairs. Arrma is owned by Horizon Hobby, and there vehicles are not only durable, HH's customer support is one of the best i have ever dealt with.

As for the Arrma Senton previously mentioned, there is also the Arrma Granite and Arrma Typhon, but that is a buggy. The senton is a bit more stable to drive, due to it being lower to the ground, but, at high speeds, like most SCT's, tends to lift the front, due to what is known as kiting or parachuting, which does at times affect driveability. The Granite, like most other monster trucks, tends to roll over easily if cornering too fast. The typhon, like most buggies, tends to have some of the characteristics of both monster trucks and short course trucks (SCT's). Any true hobby grade RC has the ability to be upgraded, and Arrma, due to the design, is probably the easiest to work on, as well as upgrade, and, with companies like T-Bone and RPM, can be easily overbuilt. Every RC has it ups and downsides, just like anything else, but a lot of factors affect it, so recommending a perfect vehicle isnt always easy or possible.

Some of my recommendations, in order, would be: Arrma Granite or Senton, Redcat Blackout SC or Blackout XTE (although, with a disclaimer: Redcat, when they need repairs, if a local shop doesn't stock parts, can take a week or more to get, and Redcat stuff is more complicated than any other brand i know of to work on), Traxxas Slash and Stampede (only because, even though they do tend to need repairs more often, parts support and aftermarket support for Traxxas is bigger than any of the other brands, although Arrma is catching up). Another problem i see with Traxxas is their ID battery system. Its kind of like Apple products, in that its propietary, which means only certain batteries and chargers, which tend to be more pricey than other brands, will work with Traxxas vehicles.

Something else to consider is the charger that comes with any RTR vehicle. They tend to take 6-8 hours to charge a NIMH battery, and the battery gets, at most 15 minutes total runtime, so, at the least, if its something you really get into you will need a faster charger, and possibly more and better batteries.
I appreciate all of that , well I guess with anything it’s hard give opinions on the “one “ lol maybe instead of certain vehicle suggestions I should be looking at price vs specs ? Is there a certain scale that starts to lose performance due to size ? Maybe a certain scale range I should be looking? It’s overwhelming online shopping with with prices all over the place lol I have a local hobby shop that I will be using if we really get into and end up buying a higher end model . Do most the common RC manufactures have decent aftermarket support? This is a lot tougher than I was hoping and may be over thinking is haha but I appreciate the information

I appreciate all of that , well I guess with anything it’s hard give opinions on the “one “ lol maybe instead of certain vehicle suggestions I should be looking at price vs specs ? Is there a certain scale that starts to lose performance due to size ? Maybe a certain scale range I should be looking? It’s overwhelming online shopping with with prices all over the place lol I have a local hobby shop that I will be using if we really get into and end up buying a higher end model . Do most the common RC manufactures have decent aftermarket support? This is a lot tougher than I was hoping and may be over thinking is haha but I appreciate the information
When you are looking for a starter vehicle, 1/10 (SCT's, like the Arrma Senton, are actually closer to 1/8TH in size, but are listed as 1/10) scale seems to be the sweet spot. Smaller means slower, as well as not as useable for certain surfaces, and bigger turns into more expensive when it breaks, as well as just being more expensive overall. Traxxas has the best overall factory and aftermarket support, but can be more expensive in the long run, Redcat has decent factory support, but not as much aftermarket support, and Arrma has the best overall factory and warranty support, as well as plentiful parts selection, but not as much in the way of aftermarket upgrades. The best way to look at it is, which brand has the best factory support, in the way of original parts, upgrades, and customer service, and which is the best bang for the buck, and in that regard Arrma wins hands down. Arrma also has the longest warranty of any manufacturer. Its a full 2 years, vs some that have no warranty, or a 30 day warranty. I'm not positive on it, but i think Arrma has the longest and most comprehensive warranty of all the manufacturers (i personally have never used any RC warranty. I just upgrade anything that wears out).

Fantastic Info! Much appreciated, I’m now thinking I should just go ahead and get one from a good maker but lower end . In a perfect world I’ll pick one up with good aftermarket support and we will both take up the hobby and have one we can build vs replace them build. I think my last question is for gravel , uneven hard ground and a little mud after a rain would a monster truck be to much? Maybe a buggy?

Fantastic Info! Much appreciated, I’m now thinking I should just go ahead and get one from a good maker but lower end . In a perfect world I’ll pick one up with good aftermarket support and we will both take up the hobby and have one we can build vs replace them build. I think my last question is for gravel , uneven hard ground and a little mud after a rain would a monster truck be to much? Maybe a buggy?
Actually, an SCT would fit what you are looking for, and has an advantage that the others dont. If it doesn't have enough ground clearance or height, you can easily raise the body and add monster truck tires and wheels, and not have the rollover issues a monster truck has. As for a buggy, they handle off road for the most part, but most sit about the same height as an SCT, but arent as easy to get more ground clearance without making them look goofy. Another option is a truggy, which is basically a cross between a buggy, monster truck, and SCT, but, they arent as easy to find in lower end stuff. The first one that comes to mind there is the DHK Hobby Raz-r 2 (https://rchobbyexplosion.com/dhk-ra...MIupesrbez7QIVHYVaBR1LJgO9EAQYBCABEgLmW_D_BwE), but the cars and parts can only be gotten from RC Hobby Explosion online. I havent seen any DHK vehicles in stores yet. If you do go with the Redcat stuff, i would look for the Blackout XTE: https://www.amazon.com/Blackout-Scale-Electric-Monster-Truck/dp/B00O9MSTWG (comes with either a grey/silver SUV body, or a red or blue truck body)
The Blackout SC: https://www.amazon.com/Redcat-Racing-Blackout-Waterproof-Electronics/dp/B00VRNR9IA (comes in red or blue)
or the Blackout XBE: https://www.amazon.com/Redcat-Racing-Blackout-Waterproof-Electronics/dp/B00YI87P62

Another lower end option are the 1/10th stuff from Exceed RC: https://www.nitrorcx.com/electriccar.html , but, they are only available online, but have tons of aluminum upgrades, and tons of options. A lot of the Redcat (Volcano, Shockwave, Tornado mainly), Exceed RC and HSP stuff are just rebrands of each other, and share parts between them, and there are tons of parts available online, but not much if any in stores, especially for the lower end vehicles they sell. Some stores are starting to carry some of the Redcat stuff though. I dont typically recommend them though, because they do tend to need work more than the others, and waiting on parts can be a pain. The DHK Hobby stuff is extremely durable, but, the only lower priced vehicles they have are the Cage-R (2WD), Raz-R 2, and Wolf 2 (both 4WD). All three of those vehicles are basically the same, just different bodies, wheels and tires, and in the case of the Cage-R, different font end. Everything else (diffs, axles, motor, ESC, servo, chassis, and even the wing, are all the same). There are a couple of videros of my DHK Wolf 2 on my youtube channel, under the same name i use here, if you want to see how durable they are. There is also a hard bash video of my Redcat Blackout xte, that i pounded on, and only broke a couple minor parts. Both videos were done at a local BMX track.

You sir are a plethora of information lol thank you , I’m finding myself getting more excited and interested than just getting a gift lol I’m going to check out my local shop tomorrow and I’ll be sure to report back

You sir are a plethora of information lol thank you , I’m finding myself getting more excited and interested than just getting a gift lol I’m going to check out my local shop tomorrow and I’ll be sure to report back
you're very welcome. Something i neglected to mention, once you have narrowed down which vehicle you are getting, look online for the manual. The reason for that is to help you know what you are getting into ahead of time. Some vehicles have a very specific "break-in" procedure that you have to follow that helps the electronics (especially the motor) last longer. It will also have info like what batteries work with it, as well as full diagrams, including part numbers, which you can look through to get an idea ahead of time how its assembled. Some companies also list whatever upgrade parts they offer, as well as tips on optimal gearing to make it faster or slower without causing overheating issues.

Hey y’all
You can certainly do a lot worse than to check out these Maverick Quantum’s .
wether you Fancy the Monster truck or Truggy both the same underneath.
they a Brushed for about 134. Ready to run with battery and all.

Maverick Quantum XT 1/10 4WD Stadium Truck - Blue MV150105​

Or they do the Brushless version which is better value for a £159.99 which I can confirm will do 30mph with a 2 cell Lipo or 40mph with a 3cell Lipo.

Maverick Quantum XT Flux 1/10 4WD Stadium Truck - Blue MV150205​

Maverick Quantum MT Flux 1/10 4WD Monster Truck - Blue MV150200​

You can certainly do a lot worse than to check out these Maverick Quantum’s .
wether you Fancy the Monster truck or Truggy both the same underneath.
they a Brushed for about 134. Ready to run with battery and all.

Maverick Quantum XT 1/10 4WD Stadium Truck - Blue MV150105​

Or they do the Brushless version which is better value for a £159.99 which I can confirm will do 30mph with a 2 cell Lipo or 40mph with a 3cell Lipo.

Maverick Quantum XT Flux 1/10 4WD Stadium Truck - Blue MV150205​

Maverick Quantum MT Flux 1/10 4WD Monster Truck - Blue MV150200​

Maverick is built by HPI, but, as far as i can tell, are more geared towards European markets. They do sell some Maverick stuff in the states, but not much that i have seen. Of the 6 largest hobby shops in N.Y., i have only seen a small amount of Maverick stuff in one shop, and that was outside N.Y.C. However, the list price in the states according to HPI's website put's them roughly the same price as Arrma.

Maverick is built by HPI, but, as far as i can tell, are more geared towards European markets. They do sell some Maverick stuff in the states, but not much that i have seen. Of the 6 largest hobby shops in N.Y., i have only seen a small amount of Maverick stuff in one shop, and that was outside N.Y.C. However, the list price in the states according to HPI's website put's them roughly the same price as Arrma.
Argh didn’t realise you in the states , I certainly wouldn’t pay Arrma money for Maverick /Hpi

In the Uk That Brushless Maverick comes in at £159.99 and it ain’t Too bad for the ?
Where’s a Brushed Senton Mega for Eg: weighs in around £240.00 +\- So as you see in UK we get ? shafted for Nice things like Arrma & Losi.
especially Losi????
Anyway point being Sure take on board some advice , but keep your own mind, putting a question like yours out to forum and you get
6 of One and Half a dozen of the Other which leaves you back where stated. Confused ?

I looked through the postings, but I didn't see what brands your nearest hobby shop carries or how much you are looking to spend. There are a half dozen really good big name brands that have excellent cars to look at. If you are new to this and you have a you child who will be using this, you will be more helpful, for you, if you could get parts from your local shop.

Whatever you get, make sure parts are easily available. New drivers will need parts.

Back