Looking for advice choosing rc please.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALex38

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So I’m kinds new to this hobby. I own a arrma granite voltage brushed. And was looking to move into my first hobby grade. I narrowed it down to the arrma typhon 3s and the arrma big rock 3s. What would you say should be the first choice between the two? I know one Is a monster truck and one is a buggy. But from what I’ve seen on videos both can be run off road. Is one vehicle less likely to break parts? Am I better off saving for a 6s model? I was kinda leaning toward the typhon but any input would be greatly appreciated!

So I’m kinds new to this hobby. I own a arrma granite voltage brushed. And was looking to move into my first hobby grade. I narrowed it down to the arrma typhon 3s and the arrma big rock 3s. What would you say should be the first choice between the two? I know one Is a monster truck and one is a buggy. But from what I’ve seen on videos both can be run off road. Is one vehicle less likely to break parts? Am I better off saving for a 6s model? I was kinda leaning toward the typhon but any input would be greatly appreciated!
A 3S/BLX would mean upgrading to LIPO batteries and a LIPO compatible charger, as well as a fire safe charging bag. Going 3S also means a much, much faster truck, which can also translate to more broken parts depending on driving style. My recommendation would be either the Arrma Typhon Mega: https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...shed-4wd-speed-buggy-rtr-green/ARA102694.html
The Arrma Senton Mega: https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...brushed-short-course-truck-rtr/ARA4203V3.html
Or the Arrma Granite Mega: https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...-550-brushed-monster-truck-rtr/ARA4202V3.html
The reason i recommend the Mega over the BLX trucks are because, not only are they a bit slower, which means more controllable, to give you a chance to get used to them (they handle a bit differently, and are faster, than the Granite Voltage), they also run on NIMH or LIPO, so you dont have to spend the money on a 3S truck and needed battery, charger, fire safe bag, plus the learning curve that come with LIPO's all at once, they can be upgraded to brushless and LIPO's as you get more comfortable with them, and they are just as durable as the 3S/BLX trucks. Of the three though, the Granite is the one i would least recommend, since they are the quickest to traction roll, and are upside down a lot more than the other two (i hate constantly having to chase trucks to put them on their wheels, so that is mostly a personal thing with me). The shorter wheel base of a monster truck can, depending on where you run it, be a help or a hindrance. With the Senton, if you want the monster truck look, without the downsides of an actual monster truck, you can swap to monster truck tires, and raise the body up. The Senton is bigger than the Granite though, so in rough, tight terrain, especially with lots of trees, can get stuck easier, due to wider turning radius, and overall length and width. The Typhon is like any other buggy, they handle decent, and are much more controllable than a monster truck, but, sit lower to the ground, so they can get hung up a little easier if the terrain is rough enough, and putting monster truck tires on a buggy makes it look odd. Truggy tires and wheels, depending on the style, can work to raise it up a bit, but even those can look odd on a buggy. The Big Rock is like any other monster truck, in that it traction rolls easier, but, is also on the Arrma LWB chassis, so it is the same length as the Typhon/Senton, so it has some of the same downsides as the other Arrma LWB vehicles, with the wider turning radius, and the wider/longer body, but the wheels are skinnier than the Granite, which can be a hindrance. Going from a 20MPH Granite Voltage to a 50+MPH BRCC or Typhon is a huge jump if you arent used to it.

Last edited:
A 3S/BLX would mean upgrading to LIPO batteries and a LIPO compatible charger, as well as a fire safe charging bag. Going 3S also means a much, much faster truck, which can also translate to more broken parts depending on driving style. My recommendation would be either the Arrma Typhon Mega: https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...shed-4wd-speed-buggy-rtr-green/ARA102694.html
The Arrma Senton Mega: https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...brushed-short-course-truck-rtr/ARA4203V3.html
Or the Arrma Granite Mega: https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...-550-brushed-monster-truck-rtr/ARA4202V3.html
The reason i recommend the Mega over the BLX trucks are because, not only are they a bit slower, which means more controllable, to give you a chance to get used to them (they handle a bit differently, and are faster, than the Granite Voltage), they also run on NIMH or LIPO, so you dont have to spend the money on a 3S truck and needed battery, charger, fire safe bag, plus the learning curve that come with LIPO's all at once, they can be upgraded to brushless and LIPO's as you get more comfortable with them, and they are just as durable as the 3S/BLX trucks. Of the three though, the Granite is the one i would least recommend, since they are the quickest to traction roll, and are upside down a lot more than the other two (i hate constantly having to chase trucks to put them on their wheels, so that is mostly a personal thing with me). The shorter wheel base of a monster truck can, depending on where you run it, be a help or a hindrance. With the Senton, if you want the monster truck look, without the downsides of an actual monster truck, you can swap to monster truck tires, and raise the body up. The Senton is bigger than the Granite though, so in rough, tight terrain, especially with lots of trees, can get stuck easier, due to wider turning radius, and overall length and width. The Typhon is like any other buggy, they handle decent, and are much more controllable than a monster truck, but, sit lower to the ground, so they can get hung up a little easier if the terrain is rough enough, and putting monster truck tires on a buggy makes it look odd. Truggy tires and wheels, depending on the style, can work to raise it up a bit, but even those can look odd on a buggy. The Big Rock is like any other monster truck, in that it traction rolls easier, but, is also on the Arrma LWB chassis, so it is the same length as the Typhon/Senton, so it has some of the same downsides as the other Arrma LWB vehicles, with the wider turning radius, and the wider/longer body, but the wheels are skinnier than the Granite, which can be a hindrance. Going from a 20MPH Granite Voltage to a 50+MPH BRCC or Typhon is a huge jump if you arent used to it.
Thanks for the reply bigg. I see and understand what you’re saying but I think I’d rather just move into 3s models abd if I feel they are too fast I can just dial it back back to 50% on the remote. That way I won’t feel the need to upgrade soon down the road. Just feels like the smarter thing to do. I’m ready to buy some lipo batteries and bag etc. just torn between a big rock or typhon. From the sounds of it a big rock might be more durable. But man do the typhon videos I watched on YouTube look like a blast!

Thanks for the reply bigg. I see and understand what you’re saying but I think I’d rather just move into 3s models abd if I feel they are too fast I can just dial it back back to 50% on the remote. That way I won’t feel the need to upgrade soon down the road. Just feels like the smarter thing to do. I’m ready to buy some lipo batteries and bag etc. just torn between a big rock or typhon. From the sounds of it a big rock might be more durable. But man do the typhon videos I watched on YouTube look like a blast!
Between the two, i personally would go with the Typhon. The BRCC is a neat truck, but, is limited by the skinnier tires and wheels, so what i see a lot of guys do is swap them for either the Granite tires and wheels, or do a 12MM hex conversion, or even a 17MM hex conversion and then swap to MT tires and wheels. The Typhon seems to be pretty much RTR, and doesn't seem to need as many changes. This info though comes strictly from other posts i have seen on the forum, as well as some videos i have seen on YouTube. I have never owned a BRCC, and my Typhon actually started out as a Senton that i converted. The BRCC, from what i understand, is a Senton with different wheels and body. I researched the two extensively a year or so ago, then ended up not going with either, but that is because i personally prefer 2WD, so i bought another 2WD SCT. A thought i had, if you end up not liking the Typhon for some reason, you can easily turn it into a BRCC just by swapping a few parts (body, body mounts (maybe), tires and wheels), and then swap back and forth when you feel like it. I do that with a couple of my DHK trucks.

Last edited:
Well, if you want to limit speed for either the 6S or 3S, you can run 4S and 2S respectively. Will drop your torque/top speed quite a bit while leaving you the future option of getting the pack with more cells later once your comfortable.

If you plan on running in grass or sand a lot, I'd suggest one of the 6S trucks, kraton or outcast. If your going to spend a lot of time on dirt or at a track, then a buggy would be fine, either in 3S or 6S variants.

Buggies will go in grass, but not as easily as a MT with more ground clearance and larger OD tires. Larger tires roll over the stuff easier and add more distance between the arms/chassis and the ground which reduces overall drag in the grass. Unless the grass is really short all the time. Then buggies and 3S trucks will do fine as well.

I run at a public grass bmx track a lot and if it's not recently mowed, my smaller stampede 4x4 and eJato have a hard time there. Esc/motor temps go up, speed goes down due to drag.

Well, if you want to limit speed for either the 6S or 3S, you can run 4S and 2S respectively. Will drop your torque/top speed quite a bit while leaving you the future option of getting the pack with more cells later once your comfortable.

If you plan on running in grass or sand a lot, I'd suggest one of the 6S trucks, kraton or outcast. If your going to spend a lot of time on dirt or at a track, then a buggy would be fine, either in 3S or 6S variants.

Buggies will go in grass, but not as easily as a MT with more ground clearance and larger OD tires. Larger tires roll over the stuff easier and add more distance between the arms/chassis and the ground which reduces overall drag in the grass. Unless the grass is really short all the time. Then buggies and 3S trucks will do fine as well.

I run at a public grass bmx track a lot and if it's not recently mowed, my smaller stampede 4x4 and eJato have a hard time there. Esc/motor temps go up, speed goes down due to drag.
He was specifically asking about the Typhon and BRCC, which means he was asking about 3S stuff. As for 4S and 6S, i find them, with the initial purchase, parts, and upgrades, way beyond what i am comfortable spending on a hobby that i only do once in awhile.

Edit:, i actually had to read your comment a few times to get what you were saying. I know you can slow down 3S stuff by using a 2S battery, but, everytime i have done that, it always ends up being too slow, so then i end up swapping pinions every time i run it on 2S, then swapping again when i want to run 3S. It does get tedious though.

He was specifically asking about the Typhon and BRCC, which means he was asking about 3S stuff. As for 4S and 6S, i find them, with the initial purchase, parts, and upgrades, way beyond what i am comfortable spending on a hobby that i only do once in awhile.

He asked if he should wait and save for 6S.

I narrowed it down to the arrma typhon 3s and the arrma big rock 3s... Am I better off saving for a 6s model? ...any input would be greatly appreciated!

So, I was giving him my experience with both 3S 1/10th sized and 6S 1/8th sized vehicles I have run without diving in excessive detail on either, just listing the highlights of why 6S would be better for one thing while 3S might be enough depending on the terrain.

Hey go to Aliexpress and find a little green Buggy that is a 1/12 scale and a 540 motor. It goes 32 mph and has a 100 meter remote distance. 4 wheel drive with independent suspension it's a great buggy. Only one problem is that you will have to get a larger mAh battery. It comes with a 1500 mAh but only runs a short amount of time. I'm really impressed with the one I have and have alot of fun with it. Check it out on youtube after finding it on the Aliexpress website. That car also has so many upgraded parts but the 540;is the largest of it's class so you can't go any bigger I guess. I don't have a good photo of mine and I wrecked it pretty good so after buying it from amazon I got a 3 year warranty so I sent it back and awaiting a new one to show up on in a couple days but here is a photo of it and some upgrade wheels I plan to get for mine.Good luck and by the way it's great off road,climbing and jumps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210104-134236.png
    Screenshot_20210104-134236.png
    472.6 KB · Views: 83
Hey go to Aliexpress and find a little green Buggy that is a 1/12 scale and a 540 motor. It goes 32 mph and has a 100 meter remote distance. 4 wheel drive with independent suspension it's a great buggy. Only one problem is that you will have to get a larger mAh battery. It comes with a 1500 mAh but only runs a short amount of time. I'm really impressed with the one I have and have alot of fun with it. Check it out on youtube after finding it on the Aliexpress website. That car also has so many upgraded parts but the 540;is the largest of it's class so you can't go any bigger I guess. I don't have a good photo of mine and I wrecked it pretty good so after buying it from amazon I got a 3 year warranty so I sent it back and awaiting a new one to show up on in a couple days but here is a photo of it and some upgrade wheels I plan to get for mine.Good luck and by the way it's great off road,climbing and jumps.
I went back in to amazon and got you the details.

rand: WLtoys
4.2 out of 5 stars 447Reviews

WLtoys RC Cars 1/12 Scale 2.4G 4WD High Speed Electric All Terrain Off-Road Rock Crawler Climbing Buggy RTR for Kids and Adults​

1. WLtoys RC Cars 1/12 Scale 2.4G 4WD High Speed Electric All Terrain Off-Road Rock Crawler Climbing Buggy RTR for Kids and Adults
So I did get mine from amazon but recommend the other website Aliexpress. That's where you will find it cheaper and all the upgrade parts your will ever need.

Back