Looking for a nitro boat in good shape

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayerbasher46

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
maybe not the place to put this, but I'm looking for a decently priced nitro boat to start out with, not new to nitro, but new to boats, live on the lake now and just have to have one....

well maybe

what boat would you suggest? i personally would like a deep v hull...

I had a twin motor Traxxas Villain IV a few years ago. Electric, and it was a blast. A friend had the nitro version of the same hull with a single prop.
Unless you go BIG and go 2 stroke gas, electric is the way to go with a boat, especially a brushless one. You just can't get a nitro to keep up with brushless power.
If you get nitro, you'll need a rowboat if it stalls.

lmbo, but i am a longtime gearhead mechanic, and i just gotta have the noise, lol,
i have a post on traxxas.com looking for a traxxas nitro v used, but no takers yet, I'm gonna start talking to people at my lhs also, thanks for the tips though!

I know the feeling. There is something special about internal combustion engines, no matter how big or small they are.
There are a LOT of boats out there, and if you like to tinker, there are just as many sites selling boat parts as RC car parts.
The last boat I got was a 41" catamaran off shore race boat. As soon as I got it out of the box I stripped ALL the cheap hardware out and started a total rebuild. It's now got all alloy hardware and is about to get E-Savage twin motor running gear.
I enjoy the builds, but on the water I like to be maintenance free.

This was the Villain IV:

Boat1.jpg

Rudderless, steerable outdrives.
Boat2.jpg

Boat3.jpg

This is the catamaran after the new graphics. This one will be nasty fast when I'm done with it. :)
FrRight.jpg

Stern.jpg

wow, sweet, thanks, i Really have the fever now, makes me want to shelve the revo and slayer, and concentrate on boating, now while the water is glassy daily( being winter), is the time to hit it.....

If you can afford it I would go with gas, I ran nitro boats for years and they are a riot but gas is just so hassle free in comparison. Keep your eyes open and you may just find one for cheap, I just saw an rtr gasser for sale local to me for $400. here are a couple vids of some 40"+ sized boats, the cats handle rough water much better then a mono.

[ame="http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l291/purenitro/?action=view&current=Jetskihaulin.mp4"]Jetskihaulin.mp4 video by purenitro - Photobucket[/ame]

[ame="http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l291/purenitro/?action=view&current=M4V01893.mp4"]M4V01893.mp4 video by purenitro - Photobucket[/ame]

[ame="http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l291/purenitro/?action=view&current=M4V01896.mp4"]M4V01896.mp4 video by purenitro - Photobucket[/ame]

[ame="http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l291/purenitro/?action=view&current=M4V01899.mp4"]M4V01899.mp4 video by purenitro - Photobucket[/ame]

like will smith said in independence day,"i got to get me one of those"!

there have got to be people on this lake, wanting to sell boats, i havent been looking long, and I'm not paying shipping from canada for a boat sight unseen, lol, definitely a good idea to weigh pros and cons of gas and nitro though, hadnt even thought of that, till you brought it to my attention, thanks for the feedback guys!

It was just for reference, shipping would be a killer lol. I hope you find what your looking for, I just figured I would help with options because I have played with both and each has it's own little quirks, nitro more then gas lol ;)

not ungrateful for the help, its great to jump on a site and guys come back immediately with responses and real help, thanks again, you,ve given me lots of food for thought!

aquacraft nitro hammer very cheap and great fun

Jacko, it's not being made any more and yours hasn't seen water yet. The only one that I've been around was about impossible to start and I was unimpressed but I'm a little jaded.
So, what are you looking for? I've got a few boats collecting dust in the basement but even my little .12 nitro boats are made to run fast. They'll surprise you.

Ever thought about a nitro vee .15 it's got the RTS electric motor that when u pull the stick back on the throttle a little electric motor takes over and u just drive it back

The Traxxas RTS system doesn't work that well. It relies on friction to turn over the intermediate gear so the the electric motor can kick in and operate it. If a boat flips or gets hung up in weeds or debris you're again out of luck without a back-up plan that doesn't involve swimming.

Go to jims rc boat dock youll find a lot of answers and theres a for sale section.Go gas if you can.Nitro can be a pain in the ass it might discourage you they can be tempremental.:D