Looking at a used TC4

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobra65427289

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I will probably be making a trade in the near future for a TC4 with a team orion 11t brushless motor. What type of performance can I expect out of it with NiCd batteries? Lipos?

Thanks.

NiCd batteries are almost never used to power electric RC vehicles today. NiMh is the standard battery used to power most vehicles now. It has good performance. LiPo is becoming the new standard for racing. LiPo batteries tend to have the ability to deliver their peak current for longer than NiMh batteries. LiPos are also much lighter for a given voltage/capacity than NiMh batteries. LiPos can also be charged/discharged an unlimited times per day. LiPos do have drawbacks. You can't discharge them below a given voltage per cell, typically 3.0 volts, without damaging the battery. They can also overheat and possibly explode if not properly charged.

This being said, an electric vehicle with a good motor/esc and a LiPo can out accelerate and can easily keep up with a nitro at top speed. I am using LiPos and Brushless motors on the vehicles I am currently running. I get 15-20 minutes of run times. I also get high speeds. My 1/18th scale RC-18r rally car can do over 30 mph.

NiCd batteries are barely used nowadays like mentioned above, but LiPos...this is where the real fun is. 2S Lipos are what I use mainly, and I get plenty of power out of them, but the run time is where they shine the most. With my 5000 maH, I get about 50 minutes, and my 8000 maH I get 1 hour and 5 minutes. I want to get a new 3S Lipo soon, and that will provide some extreme power and speed.

Well one big advantage to LIPO is there is really no voltage drop off. NiCd and NiMh can deliver a good punch when fully charged, but their voltage drops off pretty steadily until the pack is dead. So while it may start at 7.2V....you may be running 6.5V only a few minutes into the packs runtime. LIPO really has minimal voltage drop. It stays pretty close to 7.4V (for a 2s) for the ENTIRE life of the pack. So it's consistent power that lasts longer, and hits harder.

The downside to LIPO is if you mis-handle them...they can burn stuff pretty badly ;-)

Back