Local Hobby Shop Problems (Please Read)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vetteklr

RCTalk Talkaholic
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So a about 2 months ago we had some warranty issues with one of our RC's. We trusted our guys at the LHS and figured we'd help them out and let them do the work (since we had a few other ones to play with to pass time). Note, this RC was literally brand new. It burnt up the first ESC and motor within 30 mins of first running it. They swapped it out on the spot. We drive back home, less than 10 minutes of driving it this time, same thing. So we load back up and bring it back... They do not have anymore ESC's on the shelf and will have to wait for Traxxas to warranty it. They ask for us to leave the remote so they can test it once it's done. So we leave it. 3 weeks go by and still nothing. Soooo one random day about a month after we drop it off my brother in law is in the shop and over hears a conversation of the "tech" and one of the other customers he states this, (mind you he's speaking about me) "Yea, Traxxas states that these cars are waterproof but you have dumbasses like this guy that like to drive them off in ponds" So my brother in law leans over and says "Hey man, thats my brother in laws, when you're finished I'll take it, thanks" Dude looks like he saw a ghost. Realizes what had just happened. Well, he grabs my car and calls me "hey man, did you leave the remote, because they said there wasn't one there for it" Well I call and they go on and on about telling me how I didn't leave it, I have a few witnesses that were with me that know I left it, let alone why would I want to lie? they said they would look for it, and worst case they'd order me a new one and just take the fault. Fast forward to today. It's been over 3 MORE weeks and still no remote.....

Any suggestions.

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

Just for the record, The car never went in water hole that was over the tires, much less a pond.

Sucks when stuff like that happens, especially if its someone you have dealt with for a long time. If you havent, its time to talk to the big boy in charge instead of any of the regular employees.

This a case where the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Pester them every day until they get it fixed.

Buy one fom there store and disbute your CC, but thats a gamble.

Agree with Hamz. If you can I would face to face them everyday until you feel satisfied and properly reimbursed. Its bad enough they talk out of the backside with no understanding of what you actually did to your truck but than to misplace or sell your remote. No f'n way. Pester, pester, and pester some more.

I forgot to add, posting reviews of a company and reporting to BBB if they are part of it hurts a buisness pretty bad if you ask me.

I've walked into my local hobby shop twice in the last 2 weeks with $500 burning a hole in my pocket and barely made it out of there with what I wanted without them ticking me off enough to just leave! And that was only because I really wanted to play and their price was the same as online.

I try to be all about "Support your LHS", but its becoming unfortunate that the one on one knowledge you do that for just doesn't always exist anymore...at any type of retailer. I think I've decided once and for all to just buy when and where it benefits ME the most. One guy told me fuel would freeze solid at 32 degrees , and the other laughed at me that the can of lacquer I had chosen would melt a polycarb body immediately...then went and got me the competitors can that said "lacquer" in big letters on the front in a totally different color and rolled his eyes when I pointed out that this was lacquer too!. Sometimes you just can't GIVE money away these days. I hope you get the issue settled soon! Sorry for the rant lol Todd

I would definatly be in their grill every few days at the very least until I got my stuff back. Let Traxxas do the warranty work next time? Not sure what their support is like as I've never had to use it. Not only would I go in there t personally check on my items every couple of days but Id raise hell so other shoppers that are there know how they have been jerkin you around.

Just out of curiousity is this a Traxxas kit with a MMM in it that keeps frying? I've been reading an aweful lot of horror stories here lately aboust Castle ESCs just burning up for no reason alot. Some people were estimating as high as 40-60% failure rates......not sure how much of that it true and how much is exaggeration but Castle ESCs have been getting a really bad rep here lately.

Last edited:
I'm with SNG, talk to the owner, no pee ons. Tell the owner you'll be taking your disposable income elsewhere also if this isn't rectified ASAP, hobby shops thrive on expendable income, and most of us here spend a good bit over the course of a year. In this economy, if he's a businessman worth his salt, he'll register that and fix it quickly. If that doesn't get results, tell him you're going to report them to the BBB and the state Attorney general and the Federal Trade comission bureau of consumer protection for bad business practices and actually do so. I had to do this to GM once over a warranty issue, and they were begging me to bring the truck in to be fixed, even offering a loaner before it was over, to make it right. I'm sorry to hear you guys had such a bad experience, and it gets me PO'd. It's crap like this that turns new guys away from such a great hobby.

Back