little advice needed: kyosho spider mk2

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernyone

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
evening all :D

i have recently been given a kyosho pureten spider mk2,
it was given as a non-runner as it had sat in a cupboard for "years" so I'm told,

now I'm a noobie to nitro but have had many "electric" rc's in the past and have some mechanical skills due to owning and breaking many so called "old bangers" over the years :hehe:

so to date i got it running, new glow plug, some fuel and fiddled with the idle screw

i completely stripped and rebuilt it last night and now it starts on the first pull every time, BUT on inspection the piston liner is scored/scratched on one side.

so basically what i'm asking is do i buy the piston + liner i've found on-line as the engine seams really strong (bearing in mind its near £30) or do i just replace the whole engine with a gx12 which is not much more money???

thanks in advance

Bern:)

If it's still strong, I see no need for an immediate replacement. There will always be some lines on the piston and sleeve from the up and down movement but not necessarily damaging 'scoring'.
At the very least, keep it for a winter engine. Replacing the piston and sleeve isn't much less than some new engines, so you just might pop for a new one.

Run it the way it is. That sleeve is not that expensive but it's down in New Zealand! (I didn't even know they had cars down there!) But it's the only one I see available. You also need to check to see if your carb and pipe will fit that 12 engine. Your problem with Kyosho is that 3 point motor mount they have so you are limited on options.

If it's still strong, I see no need for an immediate replacement. There will always be some lines on the piston and sleeve from the up and down movement but not necessarily damaging 'scoring'.
At the very least, keep it for a winter engine. Replacing the piston and sleeve isn't much less than some new engines, so you just might pop for a new one.

Thanks for the reply

I feel the same way regarding the immediate replacement, as i say the engine "feels" strong.
but the scoring is localized to one side of the liner and looks "nasty" tbh, and for the sake of £10 i may as well buy the gx12 lump as it is a direct replacement for the gs11x,

There is one other thing i have noticed since the rebuilt, it seams to be leaking from the fly-wheel, there is a black oily line of discharged fluid directly in line with the fly-wheel and i could see no way of sealing this during the rebuild so i am wondering if the engine is on its way out?

I could also use some advice on setting the tuning correctly past the general "idle screw should be two turns from closed" etc

Thanks again

Bern:D

---------- Post added at 2:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:25 PM ----------

Run it the way it is. That sleeve is not that expensive but it's down in New Zealand! (I didn't even know they had cars down there!) But it's the only one I see available. You also need to check to see if your carb and pipe will fit that 12 engine. Your problem with Kyosho is that 3 point motor mount they have so you are limited on options.

Cheers for the input

tbh I'm not afraid of modding things to fit as it was a freebie in the first place so the three point is not really restricting me,:D

i have already thought of modding it as i broke the front arm mounts the other night "getting brave" with speed bumps at a local carpark so had to improvise a solution lol

hence the (extra screws on the rear of the mount)
19012013493.jpg

Back