LiPo Testing Question - Need opinions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I was sitting here about to start my first trial run with lipo testing and I started asking myself 2 questions. Should I worry about weight of the packs and pack temperatures?

For the weight I think I'm going to weigh the packs and provide that data but I'm not going to make it a separate scoring category.

For temps? I'm really not sure. Should I temp the packs at every step in the process and turn it in to a scoring category? Should I temp the packs after the final discharge in a series and just make the data available without turning it in to a scoring category? Does anyone really care about the pack temps as long as we know the performance?

Please give me you guys thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance!

I would temp the packs for sure. This temperature of the packs is monitored in a real situation, the weight, not so much.

I would temp the packs for sure. This temperature of the packs is monitored in a real situation, the weight, not so much.
Do you think it should be a scored category though? My line of thinking on it is, yes we temp packs after a run ot make sure theyre not overheating but as long as they arent overheating does anyone really care if a pack finished a discharge at 110F or 115F? My inital reaction is to maybe note temps but not score them. I'm not sure. Ill see what others think about it.

The weight Ill note for racers because that is a consideration for them but again I dont think it warrants a scoring category.

Agreed the only ones worried about weight. Would be the racers. The temps we all look at while running. Especially if it's hot out side. But don't think the temp needs to be in a scoring category...

I think the temps should be in the scoring but not the weight. The temps will change and may not be accurate in your scoring.
Being nothing more than a hobbyist and a non-racer I honestly wouldn't be interested in the weight as part of the scoring but knowing the temps of each battery, I would. Of course, each is going to give different results but again I would much rather see the result of heat and not so much weight.
I'm sure the majority of us sit down at the computer and order packs and not even take the weight into consideration, however a racer would and I'm sure they receive custom packs from their sponsors.
Very interesting post @Greywolf74 keep it up...

Last edited:
I think both should be listed, as for scoring maybe not a big worry. Pack weight besides racing but also speed running is important also. I did some real life testing yesterday with my 6s CNHL packs and results were almost too close to call any real difference between the two. Interesting thing is one is a 70c 6000mAh and other a 90c 9500mAh and yielded almost identical results. I feel I need to gear up and increase the strain and load on them to start seeing more difference. 1mph, .2v sag and 13A was the difference between the two which is just too close to make a conclusion.

I think you should log the data but not use it for scoring. If you are already using the IR info, doesn't poor IR transfer into heat? Wouldn't that be kind of like repeating results? I may be thinking wrong, still trying to fully grasp this stuff.

I think you should log the data but not use it for scoring. If you are already using the IR info, doesn't poor IR transfer into heat? Wouldn't that be kind of like repeating results? I may be thinking wrong, still trying to fully grasp this stuff.
yes, higher IR = less efficiency. Less efficiency = more heat.

Back