LiPo storage box options

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delco

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello-
I was curious what others are using for a LiPo storage box. I have charging bags already but am looking to get some sort of metal box as well for longer term storage. Is just tool box the way to go? Or maybe ammo box? (Though I’ve seen some of those are going to plastic). Curious what you guys have found to work best. Thanks!

Hello-
I was curious what others are using for a LiPo storage box. I have charging bags already but am looking to get some sort of metal box as well for longer term storage. Is just tool box the way to go? Or maybe ammo box? (Though I’ve seen some of those are going to plastic). Curious what you guys have found to work best. Thanks!
I just use a roll around tool box. Having had one go through a huge fire that melted all of my $375 Dotco die grinders, and remained structurally sound, I feel safe that a similar tool box can handle numerous LiPo's going up in flames.

My tool box was within a few feet of a propane tank on the back of a forklift that I parked by my machine right before we locked up the place. An hour after we left, the building made all the news channels and looked like an atom bomb going off for about 2 hours straight. I drove back and the heat was incredible. I heard the firemen saying they never seen a hotter fire. It disintegrated the concrete.

I am 199% certain the owners burned the building for an insurance job, after hauling 2 semi loads of junk machinery into the building probably worth $100,000, but to the insurance company worth millions. There was also a full 55 gallon of alcohol racing fuel in the seperate barn that was empty the next day. Inside the building there were two 55 gallon drums of WD40, one 55 gal drum of acetone, and a couple others that were just purchased a week before the fire, all sitting within 30 feet of my box. I lost $12,000 in tools and they reimbursed me $1200.

Sorry, long story that just has some bad memories for me. But yeah, a toolbox is pretty safe.

Seems to be pretty good lipo safe according to THIS video. That being said its $50 bucks vs an ammo can that you can buy used off of ebay for $20 or less. 🤷‍♂️
I like that idea! It is an interesting looking option for sure. I like the thick walls of the box. I was thinking with a plain metal tool box or ammo box it would be good to add some welder’s fabric or similar firesafe material as a lining just for extra measure of safety.

I like that idea! It is an interesting looking option for sure. I like the thick walls of the box. I was thinking with a plain metal tool box or ammo box it would be good to add some welder’s fabric or similar firesafe material as a lining just for extra measure of safety.
That is a good idea!

Might be able to put sand in the bottom of the ammobox, but your going in the right direction.

I just looked up LiPo burning temps and am pretty blown away that LiPo's burn up to around 3600°F. So even with fireproofing like welders fabric, which protects up to about 1800°F, the LiPo is going to burn right through it right?

I think I will be lining my tool box with welder's fabric, just to slow things down.

I had a bat safe, it is a great product but it makes charging your batteries cumbersome. I gave it to a buddy of mine. I'm just to lazy to use it.
I currently use ammo cans. I have read if you use ammo cans you should remove the rubber seal or it can act as a bomb. (Heat, pressure, etc.) Don't know how true that is, but it sounds logical.

I just dremel a hole in mine for charging cables to pass through. That will also give gas a place to vent from. Even if lipos burn at 3600F they arent going to burn long enough to actually melt through the metal ammo can. especially if you line it with fire retardant material as previously mentioned. Just make sure that the ammo can is sitting on something non flammable and heat resistant. Paver, bricks, or whatever you have handy.

If you dremel a hole in the ammo can though Id suggest coating the hole with some liquid tape or plastidip etc so that the bare metal doesn't cut in to your wires.

I have also seen folks charge thier batteries surrounded by cinderblocks with chicken wire over the top, and a plastic bag of sand on top. That way if there is a fire the plastic bag melts, dumping the sand on the fire.

I think I am going to grab some of this to line the inside of my toolbox drawers. Says it is good up to 1800 degrees. Will probably grab extra to make some blankets to put over the batteries too.

Another great way to store them is fill some plastic baggies with sand. Put a layer on the bottom, then your batteries and then a layer of sand bags on top.
If there is a Lipo fire it will melt the baggies and the sand will keep it contained.

Hello-
I use a sturdy metal tool box. It is (pretty much) air tight so I think if a LiPo caught on fire the lack of fresh air would prevent it from burning too rapidly, or help extinguish itself. Maybe LiPo’s supply their own fuel? so I could be wrong in this train of thought. But at least it would keep the flames contained.

I use a sturdy metal tool box. It is (pretty much) air tight so I think if a LiPo caught on fire the lack of fresh air would prevent it from burning too rapidly, or help extinguish itself. Maybe LiPo’s supply their own fuel? so I could be wrong in this train of thought. But at least it would keep the flames contained.
Yeah, the reason LiPo's puff is they produce their own oxygen.

Back