Lipo short?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexander_0_1

"Roads, where we're going we don't need roads"
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
How do I figure out if my lipo has a short, cause when I was charging one last night each cell read between 4.27v-4.29v.

if your lipo had a short it would puff and possibly catch fire. if your cells are reading higher than 4.2v then my first guess would be your charger is overcharging the lipo. this is even more likely if you have a cheaper charger. i would also double check the voltage with a second volt check or better yet a multimeter. if your other lipos arent being overcharged and youve double checked the voltage and its still to high Id say theyres something wrong with the lipo and I would replace it.

I have 2 others exactly like it, but I'd have to open them, and let that new lipo smell out of the boxes....

I'll look into that multimeter though, I could always use more tools.

I still haven't made my mind up as to what quality charger I'd like, but it need to be able to hand any future projects...

Last edited:
Ok, new question, how useable is a lipo if my stupid cat chewed through the insulator of the positive lead...it did break a few strands of the wire, but I'd say its still 90% intact...I can't even clip it for a shorter set of leads! since it managed to chew through pretty well at the base.

wrap it up with some electrical tape or liquid tape as long as not more than a few inner strands were broken it should be fine. If to many strands were broken it will effectively lower the c rating because it wont have as many strands to hold current. I would personally be leary of using it but if you do just make sure you keep tabs on the battery temp and check often for puffing especially for the first few times you use it after repairing it.

is there not enough room to cut the wires and solder on some new lengths on if you cut back the shrink wrap a bit? That would be the ideal fix.

Gotcha! Looks like I'll be opening up another lipo, maybe I can get this one fixed...somewhere.

This is/was the lipo in question..
image.jpg

I'd throw it in the trash, along with the cat. :)

Id just cut it and solder some 12 or 10AWG wire (Whatever gauge your battery uses) leads to it and then it would be fine.