Lipo frying motor?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcjin1

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, newbie R/C'er here. I have an Exceed Rally Monster with a HW-WP-1040-Brushed ESC and a 540 21-turn motor. I had been running NiMH's with no problem. Recently I purchased a 2S Lipo 7.4v 6200mah 80C battery. I changed the jumper on the ESC for Lipo batteries, and the first time out with the Lipo I fried my motor. I thought this was a fluke and replaced the motor, and the second time out I drove for about 3 minutes before the replacement motor fried.

Any thoughts about what I'm doing wrong? Thanks all for your help!

I run lipo in every one of my brushed vehicles and I've never had a problem burning up a motor. Voltage is voltage it doesn't matter what the source is as long as it is DC. I would check to see if you have something binding and causing the motor to overheat which would cause it to quit working. You didn't say what size nickel metal battery you were using is it a 6 cell or 7 cell.

The thing is run time will increase.. so you will need all electronics cool down..I remeber going from Nimh or nicad 4800 mah to 3200 35c 2 cell lipo run time was easy almost 3x longer if you put a watch on it.might the run time be killing the brushed motor? as in run time from years ago I mean hard run for maybe 6:10 and lipo easy 20+min..

I agree with TNT. do you remember if your motor was way too hot to touch? Like Bob said, DC voltage and is the same not mater what type of battery you use. Most Brushed motors will handle 12v, so 7.4v will not harm it.

I agree with TNT. do you remember if your motor was way too hot to touch? Like Bob said, DC voltage and is the same not mater what type of battery you use. Most Brushed motors will handle 12v, so 7.4v will not harm it.
I have a 3s Lipo 11.2 battery and fried my Dynamite 15t motor, I am very new as in first rc and it was given to me.