LiPO Charging Bag

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badgerman45

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
I have been reading a lot about the recommendation of having a charging bag for LiPO batteries. Any thoughts on the importance of this inexpensive accessories? I am considering upgrading from a RC truck with a NiMH battery to one with LiPO battery.

yes get 1 be safe.. will stop many lipo venting fires . but you will still need to be right there while a battery charges.. let me give you my many years of experience with lipos. when a cell goes .. it will vent starts with a hiss.. that will last a few seconds in that time you unhook battery from charger and get it outside asap.. it will hiss then vent lets the magic smoke out then be a flame until battery mixture burns away . dont breath the smoke fire is hot 900+ degrees...be safe not sorry..

I have 4 lipo bags and some other battery holders for charging.. seen to many goof ups during charging in the early days of lipo..

Attachments

• lipo charge box.JPG
    lipo charge box.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 48
  • bat box open.jpg
    bat box open.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 47
Another good way is to line the bottom of the ammo box with sandbags using baggies and then lay your battery on top of that with more sandbags on top. If you have a fire it will melt the baggies and the sand will help contain it.

These LiPO batteries scare me enough to make me wonder about getting a RC vehicle that needs them. Maybe I will just stick with 2WD and NiMH

I have seen a Lipo smoke off and once it starts, there is no stopping it. It completely melted a 1/8 road car. And I just today seen a posting on facebook that a guy started charging one and left it. He came back and it had melted a big hole in his plastic table and the battery was in the floor. Could have burned his house down. I think we should use a bag when charging and don't leave it unattended.

if 1 is that afraid of a lipo fire. take precaution the be there and you have time unless your a flight reaction type.(or frezze). you can go with the old tried and true LiFo4 or A123 batteries most modern digital chargers can charge them and they are alot more stable and able to take some user errors

If you live in house it's best to charge em outside, on concrete
When storing them, i have them in lipo box, in ammo can
I like the idea with sand

These LiPO batteries scare me enough to make me wonder about getting a RC vehicle that needs them. Maybe I will just stick with 2WD and NiMH
Don't be afraid of them, just read up on them and follow directions. You won't be disappointed.

Back