LiPO Battery Alarm

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badgerman45

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
How important is using a battery voltage alarm when using LiPO batteries? I can understand the importance for an aircraft but what about a car/truck? Is it important to have one to safely check the batteries for proper voltage, especially for storage?

Most ESCs have a built in low voltage cutoff, so the alarm really isn't necessary. A lot of the newer LiPo chargers have a storage charge function which will allow to safely store LiPos if used.

How does the low voltage cutoff in ESC work-does the RC stop running or does something else happen?

most esc lvc will cut a percentage of lipo power .. some work better than others. I turn them off and use a lipo alarm always but hey people still use there esc bec and have issues .i have used a ubec for many years now never any issue..

ubec is like the bec in your esc if running electric motor. it supplies set voltage for servo and other electronics but way more amps if needed..some you can set what voltage you desire and some have a lite scale to show you how many amps your pulling hooked to supply lipo or whatever battery you use...
What are ESC, UBEC and BEC - Oscar Liang

UBEC is kind of sidetracking what was asked, but can be a good idea if your pulling a lot of amps with high power servos or if your built in BEC doesn't allow for higher voltage that some servos can benefit from.

I rely on my esc's LVC. On my hobbywing's, I just set it to whatever the middle setting is and the packs usually are at 3.4-3.5 when it kicks in. On my castle esc's, if possible, I set it to 3.4-3.5 as well.

Some esc's drop to a slower mode when it kicks in, others stop forward/reverse completely. Both kinds usually still supply power to the receiver/servos/fans, but it's a good idea to power down the esc as soon as it kicks in so those ancillary devices don't drain the packs further.

I have a couple of the alarms, but it's more to check my packs during the off months to see if I need to put the on the charger to get them back to storage charge (3.85V).

Does leaving a voltage alarm checker on a battery while stored drain the battery? I assume that after the battery comes off the charger, it would be wise to check it. Then if stored for awhile it should be occasionally checked. I that a correct procedure?

Does leaving a voltage alarm checker on a battery while stored drain the battery? I assume that after the battery comes off the charger, it would be wise to check it. Then if stored for awhile it should be occasionally checked. I that a correct procedure?
Yeah, I phrased that kind of stupid. I plug it into the packs to check the voltages once a month or so in the off season, then unplug it after checking.

Back