LiFePO4 Batteries

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffJohn123

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, recently got my xmaxx and I am really excited to drive it. Though I have a problem, I really don’t want to run lipo’s in the car as I rather not have them in on near my house. I know I’m taking it too seriously but I’d rather be safe then sorry. A friend told me about some LiFePO4 batteries and how they are very similar to lipos. But can take the abuse and have less of a fire hazzard. So now I am looking into buying some for the xmaxx. I’m wondering if you guys got any recommendations for me. Electrics are stock except the hobby wing max 6.
Thanks.

Welcome to the forum! LiFe batteries won’t work as they have a lower voltage and discharge rate compared to LiPos. In my experience, LiPo batteries are not as dangerous as people make them seem, take care of them and maintain them and they will be safe and fine, and buy a Bat-Safe to store and charge them.

I keep my batteries outside. They are covered, and in the shade, and I try to make sure they are out of sun and warm when its cold.

I had atleast 10 lipos, 4 different brands. My first lipo, got tossed around. Bad landing on a jump, cart wheels, I even had it leave the truck, and also drug one for about 1/4 mile. Last year I dropped a soft 3 cell from the truck bed to the concrete. The package split amd showed the cells.

Not one of my lipos caught fire, one in the sun swelled a little. In my opinion, charging is where alot of accident happen.

Best you can do is familiarize yourself in lipo safety, and the chemicals in them and how they burn. Never leave it unattended while charging.

I'm assuming Li in Life is lithium based something. Phones and laptops after have lithium in the bateries as lipo. Lipo is lithium polymer and may contatin cobalt, graphene etc.

I'm pretty sure lithium reacts to air, and so theoretically, we are bacck at sqaure one, which is why I posted what mine handled and how I "care" for them.

In 2007 or so, I had a not used much ar15 plastic bb gun. The battery was nicad or nimh amd it popped on me while charging. Only battery I had that lost its head.

There are hard casd lipos in a plastic case the protects them also.

Last edited:
Welcome in @JeffJohn123 , as others have mentioned, lipo when used correctly are nothing to worry about. I thought that myself for quite a while until I ran one. I highly recommend you read up on lipo batteries and follow the procedure closely and you will love them.

Ok thanks, yeah just heard so many stories about them. Really just want to be cautious.

Caution is good, treat them well, and do a search on lipo care and you'll be fine.

Trust me, I've done horrible things to sme of mine. If an rc plane heading straight down doing 80 mph did nothing more than shorten the battery an inch or so...... however use common sense, I disposed of the battery properly after the incident.

Sorry for seeming so lost, but on the hobby wing site it says the max 6 is 50c. Does the 50c mean how much it need to work. Or the max power it can draw. As the lipos I’m looking that have 25c. Also if their in parallel like the hobby wing setup. Will it double the current to 50C or does it remain 25.

Welcome to the forum.

I've used LiPo batteries in a lot of different aspects in my life. The only time I've seen one blow up, was in an actual fire lol. I even had one of the Samsung Notes that was supposed to blow up and didn't. Like others have said, it's good to be cautious but they're not nearly as dangerous as they're made out to be.

I'm running various Zeee batteries is a lot of trucks. One of my Xmaxx's runs 9000mah Zeee batteries and they've treated me well. Granted it's only been two months 😂

Sorry for seeming so lost, but on the hobby wing site it says the max 6 is 50c. Does the 50c mean how much it need to work. Or the max power it can draw. As the lipos I’m looking that have 25c. Also if their in parallel like the hobby wing setup. Will it double the current to 50C or does it remain 25.
The C rating on LiPos are overstated 99% of the time, there are no true 50c LiPos, the 25c LiPos will work perfectly. I do recommend CNHL LiPos though.

C ratings, in this case 50C is a value applied to batteries not ESCs. I'm not sure where you read that the ESc is 50C. I looked through the link you posted and saw nothing mentioned about 50C anywhere. The C rating of a battery has to do with the supposed maximum amp draw the battery can sustain continuously. In order to figure out what the supposed maximum is you simply multiply the C rating by the Ah rating. For example, if you have a 5000mAh 50C lipo first convert the mAh rating into an Ah rating be dividing by 1000. So 5000mAh is the same as 5Ah. Now multiply the Ah rating by the C rating (5 x 50 = 250) so in the particular example the supposed maximum safe continuous amp draw is supposed to be 250A. I say supposed because C ratings are never true C ratings. Manufcaturers inflate their C ratings (sometimes by a ton). None of this is overly important though, just make sure you buy lipos that are at least 35C or higher. The higher the better. 25C could be alright, just depends on how power hungry your particular application is. For an Xmaxx I would buy at least 50C lipos.

The others are right. Lipos arent that huge of a concern as long as certain safety guide lines are maintained and certain aspects of the lipos are monitored like temperature after runs and internal resistance of the lipo cells they can be perfectly fine to use. In the last dozen years or so I've only experienced one lipo fire and it was my own fault. I was doing an experiment with a damaged lipo and it ended up catching fire on me. It wasn't particularly a problem as the lipo was in my garage in a fireproof container during the experiment so outside of scorthing the inside of my fire proof container (I use old ammo cans) and a horrible smell in my garage that took a little while to air out it was not a real problem.

You may want to read through this.
https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide

Last edited:
Thanks for posting up the lipoguide link, Greywolf. A comprehensive, easy to read and understand guide. Good review for me. Still reading through it and have bookmarked it for future reference. Cheers. 'AC'

So will a set of 2 4s lipos with 4000 mah and 25c. Provide the constant 160amps needed for the max 6
004BBA73-0F91-4104-A53D-F8736EC23A2C.jpeg

So will a set of 2 4s lipos with 4000 mah and 25c. Provide the constant 160amps needed for the max 6View attachment 138726
Ok, So we need to straighten out a misconception here. The 160A rating of the ESC is the maximum continuous amp draw that the ESC can handle, not how much its going to draw. The ESC itself doesn't draw any meaningful amount of power really. The motor is really what pulls the current and the ESC mearly channels the current from the battery to the motor in a manner that makes the motor spin.

I believe what you are actually trying to ask is "Will two 4000mAh 25C lipos work to power an Xmaxx?" The answer to that is "No, those batteries are too small to power a 20lb Monster Truck." In a kit that big Id use no less than 5000mAh and at least 40C if not 50C depending on what brand lipo it is.

25C will not work in the rc stated by op. Id go with a much higher rated lipo as in C rate theres 2 C rates Burst and constant. the burst will be from 4 seconds to 30 seconds max.. the life will also work it will just take some math to get the voltage close to a fully charged lipo it will be close but not dead on..I've use A123 batteries since I 1st found them on the rc market about 18 yeas ago never had a failure but could not run lvc on many esc to stop rc at the correct voltage. I've always used a battery buzzer I can set to the voltage I wanted,,,if you have a fear then dont use lighting strikes same place more than once..the best thing to do is read info on lipos so you know what your doing..

25C will not work in the rc stated by op. Id go with a much higher rated lipo as in C rate theres 2 C rates Burst and constant. the burst will be from 4 seconds to 30 seconds max.. the life will also work it will just take some math to get the voltage close to a fully charged lipo it will be close but not dead on..I've use A123 batteries since I 1st found them on the rc market about 18 yeas ago never had a failure but could not run lvc on many esc to stop rc at the correct voltage. I've always used a battery buzzer I can set to the voltage I wanted,,,if you have a fear then dont use lighting strikes same place more than once..the best thing to do is read info on lipos so you know what your doing..
LiFePo4 batteries will not work and there are a host of reasons why, the least of which is the fact that they are far less energy dense (meaning they are huge in comparison to LiPos) and will not fit in an RC car. LiFePO4s are generally used for 12V Pb battery replacements.

I just ordered a set of Lfp batts for my 1:5 exb Here. They have the voltage of around 7s which I believe is good for a max 6 esc. It is 4200 nah and is 30c. Slightly better then the batts you were lookin at. Do you think they could run the Xmaxx? It might be slower but if you want to be safe it might be worth the power loss. Plus the c max is already lively enough at 6s.

LiFePo4 batteries will not work and there are a host of reasons why, the least of which is the fact that they are far less energy dense (meaning they are huge in comparison to LiPos) and will not fit in an RC car. LiFePO4s are generally used for 12V Pb battery replacements.
LiFePO4s are perfect for Nerf gun modding and transmitters.

I just ordered a set of Lfp batts for my 1:5 exb Here. They have the voltage of around 7s which I believe is good for a max 6 esc. It is 4200 nah and is 30c. Slightly better then the batts you were lookin at. Do you think they could run the Xmaxx? It might be slower but if you want to be safe it might be worth the power loss. Plus the c max is already lively enough at 6s.
Anyone know about these. Would they run my Xmaxx. I don’t mind a loss in power for the added safety. If they run my car.

Anyone know about these. Would they run my Xmaxx. I don’t mind a loss in power for the added safety. If they run my car.
They wouldn’t work and would likely puff up due to the high load. Buy LiPos, they are safe when used and maintained correctly. LiFe batteries are for transmitters and modded nerf guns mainly.

Back