LHS vs. Online

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad55102

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I am willing to bet that most of you are like me, 2 or 3 times a month you go to your LHS. But i don't usually buy anything, i just go for the conversation about nitro engines ect. When it comes to buying something for my hobbies i go online. It's obvious to me that the LHS has a hard time competing with a guy on ebay. I feel bad but what can i do. So where do you buy your stuff from?

For me, it depends on what the price difference is. I bought my Revo online and saved around $100, even with shipping. For parts, it's only convenient for me to go to my LHS if I'm at work. Both work and the LHS are in the same area and that's 25 miles from my house. I like to support the LHS whenever I can, but if it's not something I need right away, I'll usually order it online.

Well lets see My LHS guy is pretty cool but he is kinda in the middle of now where so I am always going out of my way to get there. I do have a hobby clown on my way to work but don't visit it often(they don't carry half the stock of LHS). I do buy a lot on eBay and motivated strictly buy price and shipping vs how soon do I need it. So yeah if the price is lower and don't need it in hurry eBay is my way, if the price is a little lower but I need it yesterday LHS.

I do the same as MrClean. For kits and motors I buy online but as far as parts, oils, fuel I got to my LHS...

9/10 times i go to my local shop. while his listed prices on large items (RTR's, batteries) are definitely more money than online, he always meets the price that tower has published. add to the fact that he'll throw in a freebie here and there it makes it worth me driving to see him.

9/10 times i go to my local shop. while his listed prices on large items (RTR's, batteries) are definitely more money than online, he always meets the price that tower has published. add to the fact that he'll throw in a freebie here and there it makes it worth me driving to see him.

yeah same here but prime example of my eBay purchases I bought the imex Rc one HD piggy back shocks for my Revo for $28.50 shipped new, My lhs listed these at $80 and tower at $75. So it all depends on the deal I get.

I like to support my LHS when I can, but being on a tight budget I generally shop for price, which usually ends up being online, so unless I need it asap then it's going to be a online purchase.

Used to be the same for me as the running theme here. I'd pick up glow plugs, fuel and the occasional odd or end at my LHS, but I do most of my buying online.

I've found myself not going to tower nearly as much though. Their prices + shipping for most things comes in as a wash compared to my LHS's.

Now that I have an LHS 10 minutes out of my way on the way home, I just call them and have them order whatever (as long as I find it on tower or horizon I'm good) before Sunday and pick it up Tuesday night. They even take emails the same way. It's a new store, so I want to try and do my part in keeping them alive.

Before they showed up, I'd typically wait until I needed $50+ worth of stuff and buy it online all at once to get the most out of the shipping.

What stinks though is that they don't carry byrons fuel... which is significantly cheaper than the stuff they do carry. 30% nitro @ $54 a gallon! O'Donnels? C'mon... 20% is $34 a gallon now.

I have another LHS more out of my way (takes most of my lunch hour to get there and back) and they sell 25% byrons for $33. Which is what I want anyway.

Anywho... anyone shopping in Aurora or Naperville Illinois, check out these guys: http://naperville.rc-hobbies.com/
They carry a lot of traxxas and AE, but can order most anything. Nice guys to talk too. Couple brothers own/operate the place.

sorry... rambling.

Last edited:
I just found out something pretty cool about my LHS today. I was calling to see if they had the FOC for my LST in stock, he said they normally don't carry it but he could order it for me. I asked how much and he said it lists for $30 and some change on (I think he said) Horizons web-site, so that's what he'd charge me. So I guess you don't get charged for shipping, which is pretty sweet and so far I haven't been able to find a better price on-line once shipping is added in.

I live half an hour from 4 different hobby shops in 3 different directions. Assuming the price is the same it's cheaper to have most items shipped rather than drive to one of my "LHS"s. But most of the time for me it's all about what they stock. More times than not they simply don't have what I need/want. I do 95% of my purchasing online. The only thing I always buy locally is fuel, ARO, glow plugs etc. and that's ONLY if I don't need to put in an internet order for something else the hobby shops don't carry.

I'm cheap I usually always order online but then again I get a lot from Amain cause its only 20 minutes away. I would buy from my LHS but they don't stock much. I do get my fuel from them though.

Always my LHS for parts his prices are often the same as online because hes retired and doesn't need to make a living. Hes a grest guy and really knows what hes doing only 5 mins drive away and always happy to help.

Always my LHS for parts his prices are often the same as online because hes retired and doesn't need to make a living. Hes a grest guy and really knows what hes doing only 5 mins drive away and always happy to help.

Sounds like my LHS guy he gave me his cell phone number and told me if I need anything in a hurry he excepts calls up until 11pm. He runs his shop out of his basement. Matches all of Towers prices, like I said though he is like 35 minutes away so I have to really need something or the price online with shipping is a wash.

My nearest Hobby Store only stocks Tamiya. The next nearest is 15 miles away. Suffice to say I almost always shop online. About the only thing I'd buy locally is Nitro fuel (if I had a Nitro) as I don't trust people shipping that.

I use my LHS for general chit chat and info, and get them to order all the parts and kits that I am willing to wait for, but for parts I need NOW, I order online.
I can order from A Main and Towers and have it in 4 or 5 days, whereas my LHS takes that long to place the order.
Ebay is reserved for the out of the ordinary trucks, and parts that I'm not smart enough to find eldewhere.

I won't even bother ordering anything from my LHS. The last time I did, I NEVER heard anything back on it. It was kind of an oddball part and was probably backordered or even possibly discontinued but don't you think they would keep in touch? Nope. The unfortunate thing is that this was the 1 out of the 4 around me that I generally consider to be better.

I guess the bottom line is that for some people, the internet is simply a better way to do business.

bought my Slash at the LHS and got it for the same price as if I got online after shipping.

I buy my fuel at the LHS, but IF they carry som i need less expensive then online well...sold!! But its usually just my fuel i buy there.

I use my LHS when i break something and need it fast, I do shop around for stuff on Ebay and the web, Because my LHS does not know what Customer service is

Back when I worked at the LHS, I always made a point to ask if the person would like to be contacted when they ordered. I kept a rolodex of customer names and phone numbers. When the order was placed, I put their name in the comment field, so I knew who it was for. When it arrived, I called. It really wasn't all that hard to do, since the recieving days (wednesday and friday) were slow from noon till 5pm (shipments arrived around 10). Didn't take all that long to get ahold of the shipment tag and call all the special orders.

If they didn't want to be called, I would check if it was in stock at the suppliers, and let them know that it would be in either wednesday or friday by noon.

It just boils down to how much service the shop wants to give.

Back