Leaking oil from differentials?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarin12ga

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I noticed some oil from the front and back differentials?Is this a big deal or not?The gears are probably oiled up enough anyways?Is this a common problem?Because this truck is not very old!!It must be the seals are letting go!

Take them apart, inspect them, refill them, and seal them. Oil and oil quantity, or lack thereof, can change the way the diff reacts. No oil/lube, can result in damage.

How often do they freaking leak?The truck is in MINT condition still??

I have never seen one leak personally. May want to take it back to where you bought it if it's that new. If it's older I would pull it apart and check it out.

Last edited:
I was under the impression the tmax doesn't have oil in the diffs

Yep it does that's why they are supposed to sealed. Is it like major leaking or just seeping? Mine seeped a little turned out not to be the diff itself but the grease on the ring and pinion.

I seen there was a little oily under the front skid plate.I don't if it is leaking alot,but it may be empty now?The rear is the same.It looks like it's coming from where the axles go in?

That's how mine was. It's not coming from the diff. The ring and pinion gears are enclosed in a plastic housing which is not sealed so when the grease warms up it seeps out a little.

Only the latest models 4908/4907 have the sealed diffs with oil. All previous Maxx model diffs are not sealed and use heavy grease in the diff cup. They all seep grease/oil eventually at the diff output shafts, even the sealed diffs as the x-ring seal wears or gets torn.

only the latest models 4908/4907 have the sealed diffs with oil. All previous maxx model diffs are not sealed and use heavy grease in the diff cup. They all seep grease/oil eventually at the diff output shafts, even the sealed diffs as the x-ring seal wears or gets torn.

correct!!!

That's probably it.Hey, if the deferential fry's, I'll buy a new one.Like my dad said if isn't broke don't fix it!!!