Large gear spins but does not transfer to wheels

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcravenufo

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a 1st version T-Maxx that was sitting in the box this whole time. Well I decided to open this gift up and get into the hobby. However, the large gear spins freely and does not transfer to the wheels. The drive shaft (both front and back) do not move if you spin the large (spur?) gear. I took the transmission off the body and I can hold the drive shafts while spinning the gear. There is a small nob on the upper left of the case on the opposite side of the gear and it will spin but the drive shafts won't.

What could be wrong?

could be your spur gears nut is too loose, try tightning it.

I checked it and tighted it up even more until the coil between the gear and the nut started to distort. I figure that is good so I loosed the nut up a little until the coil readjusted.

ok i know what you should do. take your wheels off and give them a 2.5:yes:

The spur gear spins freely either direction with no transfer of power to the drive.

The post on the other side, that is above and to the left of the brake pad, spins but not the drive shafts.

Originally posted by El Pirata
This is a new out of the box t-maxx?

It has never been run. It was sitting on my shelf.
Could it be possible that something is side is messed up? From rolling around every once and a while?

By the way, I found this out because I started the engine up following the instructions and when I moved the throttle, the gears just spun.

Is the spur slipping? If so then tighten it up. If not send it back to TraxxASS and tell them about the problem, since it's still new they'll probably give you a direct replacement.

If you spin the spur gear by hand, it will not engage the clutches within the tranny. Therefore no action from the wheels. You need to start the engine and get some rpms on the spur gear to engage the tranny clutches...AND then you will see movement from the wheels.

If the engine is running and you give it gas and the spur moves and you still get no motion out of the wheels, then you have a bigger issue.

Perfectly normal... Sorry you had to needlessly pull the tranny.

My god what happened here?!?!? LMAO!

Did you fire it up again? We want an update.

Like Sky said, by hand, they wont turn unless you have a 'forward-only-conversion'. And even then its only when you turn one way.

Its the engine getting up to high high rpm's and the gear spinning like nuts? I mean FAST...... If the engine is running, the spur will just sit there and spin at idle without engaging the internal clutch. Even with a little gas it will spin much faster and still not engage.

Update us on where you are at and what you did so far.

Originally posted by Çh®i§tiªñ
Like Sky said, by hand, they wont turn unless you have a 'forward-only-conversion'. And even then its only when you turn one way.
Guess I've has the forward only covnersion too long becaus eI totally forgot that it'll only spin the wheels at higher rpms on the stock tranny. I stand corrected.

has the motor been broken in? becuase if not it takes a while before the truck will start moving.

bryan

Thanks for the input!

LOL, I am such a noob. I put the tranny back in and fired it up, but this time I gave it more gas and it ran just fine. The only thing now is it jerks when starting out slow but if given more gas it seems to run just fine. Looks like I still need to fine tune it.

The jerking is normal and synonymous with the TMaxx. If you get to the point where reverse it either pissing you off or you want just better launch off the line, you can install a 'forward only conversion' into the tranny. This will eliminate that jerking all together.

Glad to hear you are up and running fine ;)

A couple more tanks and you will be loving life!

As Christian already mentioned that jerking is completely normal. I too recommend the foc, I was a die hard, I wanted to keep my reverse, well after finally giving in and trying the foc, my only regret was I did not do it sooner. Glad to hear you got it running ok.

Originally posted by NCNitro
As Christian already mentioned that jerking is completely normal. I too recommend the foc, I was a die hard, I wanted to keep my reverse, well after finally giving in and trying the foc, my only regret was I did not do it sooner. Glad to hear you got it running ok.

Funny, I am a die hard "Keep the reverse". I may have to give in as well and try the foc.

After I install an FOC, I thought I could use the reverse servo to operate lights or something...

Back