Kyosho viper build need help!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rcjmazz21

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hi everyone I just purchased this kyosho viper from eBay. I’m new to rcs I’ve owned two before and loved them very much however on this one I just purchased I noticed that the throttle control mechanism is different on this one then the stock one on my other boats. Can someone tell me what exactly this is? It seems like it only goes foward and has a ground for the battery and the motor. I posted a picture below and circled it any info is appreciated.

Attachments

• 13EDA20E-FBC4-4FE3-A3DC-B874C057E053.jpeg
    13EDA20E-FBC4-4FE3-A3DC-B874C057E053.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Whats up bud. I'm not 100% on this. But it seems to be a esc electric speed control box. Have you opened it? There's probably a micro esc inside. Instead of the out dated mechanical speed control...👍

I've never seen one quite like that but my guess is its an old school mechanical speed controller. They dont make em like that anymore so you're probably going to be faced with trying to put a whole new electronics system in it. Thats my educated guess anyway.

Id do a total upgrade in all electric parts. New rx.new esc-new servos.not sure your what battery is. but why not lipo this..have fun hope u got this 4 a steal..

Is that boat a Nitro or electric? Could it be a forward/reverse switch?

Have you opened the box?? Take off cover and take a pic.. let's take a look inside

So I found out it’s a micro switch Zippy VHM-15 not sure how that exactly works in this case
I found another one in a different model kyosho viper.

Attachments

• B1489567-F919-439F-8957-C3E2F2FFE916.png
    B1489567-F919-439F-8957-C3E2F2FFE916.png
    889.9 KB · Views: 51
So I found out it’s a micro switch Zippy VHM-15 not sure how that exactly works in this case
I found another one in a different model kyosho viper.
Must have been part of some mod ppl used to do to these kits. Its not in the user manual so its not stock.

Looks like an old-school servo operated micro switch. RC drag racing used them eons ago to transfer battery power to the motor before the advent of ESC's. Spring arm actuates an on-off capability. Hope this helps. Cheers. 'AC'

So is basically just full throttle when the button is pressed and that’s it no speed control ?

So is basically just full throttle when the button is pressed and that’s it no speed control ?
Yup. The Viper originally came with an mechanical speed controller according to the manual. It doesn't show anything about this switch so like I said before it appears to be some sort of mod or hillbilly fix that someone did at some point. The entire kit is going to need all new modern electronics if you're gonna try and resurrect it. Hopefully that wont be terribly difficult to piece together.

For this particular boat I think for now I’d just save the money for my other projects instead of doing an over haul on this one I think it would be best to install this speed control I found on amazon. The servos and the receiver seem to be newer and were replaced at some point so other than the speed control it is good to go. what do you guys think.
39A31F75-CF1E-4604-8C6E-C27A931FAEAB.jpeg

So I installed an oem speed control I found brand new. as far as lubrication goes is there any spots that I should get and if so what kind of lubricants would you recommend?

Back