Kyosho clutch bells

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjr4848

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Anything about Kyosho clutch bells special as far as maybe pitch or anything else?
I am fixing up a couple of problems on my MP-6 SPORTS and noticed the clutch bell has been buggered up in the valley between two gears and need to replace it. I have to assume it is the SD-54 (KYOC2955) becuase I recall Kyosho sent me a replacement years ago when the stock CB wore prematurely due to that lousy small 4mm needle bearing. This new CB was supposed to be the exact same part according to them but it looks nothing like the kit original and they said it was the right one. It is a typical looking 13T with 2 5x10mm bearings now. But I don't know what I have for sure and don't know if it is standard or hardened or if the pitch varies between brands I can get at the LHS. I'd rather drive down there and pick one out in person so I can check the other dimensions before I buy. The only thing I am worried about is pitch.
What do I need to know before I go shopping about getting a proper CB for my buggy?
Thanks and Happy 4th! I guess I won't be driving today - I don't want the catching I'm feeling in that tooth to destroy a brand new setup! :doh:

Most are 32 pitch right? And if I pick one out and the new one won't mesh with the old one they are not the same pitch right? That simple? :shrug:

My LHS had a HPI CB for a Savage that seems to work good although it was a 14T rather than the 13T I was trying to replace.
He thought there were only two CB pitches. Maybe a 1mm pitch for 1/8th scale and 0.8mm pitch for other smaller vehicles. I've got to assume still that if I ever pick one out and it doesn't mesh with the old one it's not right. Unless the two are close enough not to be able to tell with that method?!

That 14T Savage didn't last very long. Looks like the teeth were originally rounded off more on the tips than a Kyosho CB is. Maybe it's the right pitch but probably not the right shape tooth. I'm going to try and test my two CB and my main gear on a hardness tester here at work and try and figure out what happened. The main gear still looks brand new. I believe the mesh was set right. I have experience setting with the plastic main gear and have only worn out a couple in the last 7 years so I don't know what I am doing wrong with an all metal gear setup yet.

Are most of the 1/8 scale CB considered interchangeable????

the original savage cb is designed to run on a plastic spur, if you are running it on a metal spur that is the reason it didnt last long. you need a hardend cb.

Thanks. I was looking for evidence of that today on HPI website becuase that is one thing I suspected. I have always run the Sports plastic main gears and just switched to the steel main gear so I am getting into some new territory.