KM Baja ,gasser.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbaker65

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
Getting near to the end of this resurrection ,clean ,lubed ,an some fab work ,with some added parts!

Most of you know that I had been doing this for the past month ,most of the rebuild pics are on my Fab work
thread ,so I will go ahead an post a new thread in the proper place for the finishing work!

Here is what it looked like when I pulled it out of the shed from it sitting for 3 or 4 years!

An here is where its at now!

Getting near to the end of this resurrection ,clean ,lubed ,an some fab work ,with some added parts!

Most of you know that I had been doing this for the past month ,most of the rebuild pics are on my Fab work
thread ,so I will go ahead an post a new thread in the proper place for the finishing work!

Here is what it looked like when I pulled it out of the shed from it sitting for 3 or 4 years!

An here is where its at now!

Like a whole new machine @cbaker65. Looking good!

that is a huge change! almost looks new (but better)!

Not an actual run vid ,but a first start up ,still have to put some screws in some areas & do some tuning!

I ordered the new carb. for this ,it should be here this coming Wed. ,I hope!

Getting new fuel lines & filter too!... :cool:

that looks really good!

Thnx ,I will see how its going to run tomorrow ,I let the buggy sit for 5 years ,an the original carb dried up ,
it was just cheaper to buy a new one rather than a diaphram kit!

It is just a carb ,like what comes on KM brand ,so if it fails ,it is not a big loss!... :cool:

I can't find my original filter ,so I had to make this one work ,it is not good for dirty dust conditions for like running
in powder dirt ,but ok for grass & pavement runs!... :cool:

Been awhile ,had some issues ,needed a new spark plug ,I test ran it today ,have issues with the idle & braking ,thought it was
the tune an walked the needles back & fourth with out change ,tried idle set screw ,it is in as far as it can go ,so my guess ,it is
the air gap on the butterfly ,took it off ,an sure enough ,the manufacture didnt quite make it large enough by the looks of the
old carb ,the old one is much larger ,I swapped them ,but tomorrow ,I will shoot a vid of it!...:cool:

Here is the vid today ,you can tell that I had to rev it ,an it did die ,I had slightly adusted my brakes to engage a little more
so when I let off the throttle ,it will slow down on its own ,this is the new engine an I am still working the crawly's out of it!

Very cool, it sounds awesome.

Thnx ,it has been giving me hell for a month now ,first it was the starter ,it broke ,I replaced the part that broke to a metal piece ,
then it was hit an miss fire up ,fire one time & not the next ,so I figured out that it was the spark plug ,...LOL....I used the same 8
year old spark plug out of the old engine as the new engine did not come with one ,it was a bare block engine!
Got it to fire an run some what but not good because all this time I thought it was dying from the bad tune making me go
back an fourth on the needles in which was only making it run worse!

Finally this morning ,I finally spent a little time with it an put the needles back to a factory set an started it up ,the engine ran great ,
rapped out at full throttle an stayed with out coughing ,but when I let off it died ,so I adjusted the idle all the way in an restarted it ,
it started with in 2 pulls with out issues ,rapped it out again with out issues ,let off the throttle ,it died again ,so I said wait a minute ,
this isnt right ,checked servo throw ,that was no help ,but why would it ,the idle set screw stops it ,but it is in as far as it goes!

Sense I am a small engine mechanic ,it dawned on me that it is probably the butterfly air hole wasn't big enough ,so I took the carb off
an matched it with the old carb ,the old carb had a bigger air channel in it ,the new almost had none ,so I swapped them out an I also
Made the channel just a little bigger!

Here is were I opened it up a little bit more!

It sounds like you are dialing her in.. :thumbs-up: It's a great looking rig....
I've got bad shoulders and just about did my right one in the other day trying to get mine started. I figured it was flooded because I had good spark so I let it set over night and she fired right up the next morning.
I bought a power starter from Killer Rc a few days ago and installed it today. It works great so no more dealing with a bad shoulder. I'm not a fan of rope starters anyway...:)

It sounds like you are dialing her in.. :thumbs-up: It's a great looking rig....
I've got bad shoulders and just about did my right one in the other day trying to get mine started. I figured it was flooded because I had good spark so I let it set over night and she fired right up the next morning.
I bought a power starter from Killer Rc a few days ago and installed it today. It works great so no more dealing with a bad shoulder. I'm not a fan of rope starters anyway...:)

Dang ,you had just described me ,I am a retired gardener an town mechanic ,now after 25 years of that stuff ,I have nerve damage ,bad
arthritis , bad shoulders ,chronic back pain an severe cramping in my legs & feet!....?

Back