keeping oil off the car

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbb4us

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Does anyone know if you can turn the stock pipe on a t-maxx by bending the exaust pipe stabalizer bar so that exaust exits more to the bottom and not as much oil gets on the rear right tire and in the suspension components. Or will this have negative effects on the cars performance.

Will the piece of pipe change performence because i know that if you change the exaust it can lose performence because of the backpressure the exaust produces.

No, it shoudn't create a difference in back pressure.

It will change the sound some. Makes it softer sounding. It does goof with performance a little, but nothing major.

I noticed a performance change on my OS 15 CV-R(X) on my losi xxx-nt when i put the deflector on. I lost bottom end. Probably about 10%-20%. But it saved clean up time. I ended up cutting an inch or two off the deflector. Still lets me aim it, but doesn't seem to affect performance as much.

i had a really wierd experience with an exhause deflector. before i put it on my truck my truck ran really good. when i put the thing on my performance just did. wouldnt idle worth crap and would just die. so i took it off and ran good again???/

bryan

I run the Exhaust Deflector on my Big Bore pipe and haven't noticed much difference in performance. Yeah, the sound did get just a little bit quieter, but it was worth it to help keep the gas/smoke residue off of my truck. They are only $3, so it's worth a try.

Later...:microwave :microwave

Could i be cheap and just put a piece of tube on the end or would you not recomend doing that

PS:I'm new to the nitro hobby and the other day i turned my truck on its side and alot of liquid came out does anyone know what this is? Do you have to every once and a while turn it on its side to drain this luquid?

Originally posted by sbb4us
Could i be cheap and just put a piece of tube on the end or would you not recomend doing that

PS:I'm new to the nitro hobby and the other day i turned my truck on its side and alot of liquid came out does anyone know what this is? Do you have to every once and a while turn it on its side to drain this luquid?

I did this same thing. I just zipped tied a peice of automotive rubber tubing (the kind from the radiator overflow tube) to the stinger. That liquid you are describing is unused nitro. It's a sign that you may running a bit rich. Lean her out a little bit.

Could it be wd-40 from the afterrun maintence because that wouldnt burn up and i doubt all of it goes out when you spin the engine. Also did the tube you put on effect performence any that was noticeable.

Originally posted by sbb4us
Could it be wd-40 from the afterrun maintence because that wouldnt burn up and i doubt all of it goes out when you spin the engine. Also did the tube you put on effect performence any that was noticeable.

First of all, don't use WD-40 as after run oil. Go to your LHS and get a bottle of ARO. It's cheap and designed for this use. As for the performance, I didn't notice anything major since I am only a parking lot basher. I did retune a little but nothing major.

That oily substance is the unused portion of the nitro. I know, I have had the same thing happen to me AND i never used WD-40. Just lean her out a little bit so that no nitro is being "spit" out of the stinger AND there's a trail of blue smoke coming from the car at speed. I would also suggest getting a temp gun so you can tune your car correctly.

Yea i got the after run oil but i liked how the wd40 comes in a spray so i felt that it would cover the inner components of the car better and i got a temp gun with christmas money but its been snowing constantly and the outside temp is about 20 with a colder windchill and its hard to enjoy an r/c car when your fingers are falling off. but i will start using the ARO from now on.

Also do you know or have you heard of any type of shop manual kind of thing (not the ones that come with it) that would tell you how to make repairs and tell you how the t-maxx works.

Just be careful with the ARO. Just put a few drops (3-5) in the glowplug hole then give it a couple of turns before returning the plug. Also 1 or 2 drops down the carb. If you add too much, you will have a very hard time starting the engine. Almost as if your engine is flooded.

Actually, according to HPI's or OFNA's web site, automatic transmission fluid is a good substitute for ARO. Plus it's $1.25 a quart, instead of $3 for a 3 ounce bottle.

When i found this, it dawned on me as to where i remembered the oils smell from. It's been awhile since i've worked on a 1:1 transmision.

The exhaust deflector changes the performance characteristics of the exhaust in a minor way. You can easily compensate for any change by properly tuning the engine. I run exhaust deflectors on two MTs and a buggy. No loss in power. No problems, but a much cleaner ride.

As for the fluid coming from the pipe, that is normal. It might indicate an overly rich setting on the engine if there are large amounts, but the design of these engines lends itself to residual fuel and oil leaking from the exhaust. The only time you won't see this happen is when the engine is either running too hot or is overly lean.

As for the ARO arguement, just do not use WD-40. The other substitutes sound nice, but for the amount you will be using the price is right for the real deal.

Moving the stabilizer should not change anythingwith the car, but make sure u are not pinching the exaust coupler. and dont get an exaust deflector. THEY BLOW:doc:

hey i can't believe noone has mentioned this yet....all i did was turn the exhaust manifold around backwards so the muff is facing the back end ..face the exit of the muffler to the ground (so it can drain) and stick a piece of hose on there to your liking so the exhaust goes where you want... works perfect for me..no problems with anything rubbing or falling off.

chris

Good idea and you have been lucky. The header being reversed tends to make an uphill climb for any fluid in the exhaust. After a while this can lead to a hydrolocked engine and other problems.

If you choose to go this route, make certain that you let the fuel out of the exhaust after the day of running. Why? It will tend to want to run back into the engine and bring all the crap with it.

Back