Just got an Old Boat and Plane Nitro powered

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savagecre

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well this friend at work used to be into R/C and had this boat its about 3' long and its realy cool need to fix it up and the plane is huge Also needs to be reconditioned the boat is made of Fiberglass and wood the plane well its wood. so any advice will be helpfull no radios but I have servos and a transmitter it he boat a seven channel. Fatuba

They each need a different radio system, since the plane is on Air frequency, and the boat, along with cars and MTs are on ground frequency. What do you mean by 7 channel transmitter? Are you referring to the receiver inside?

Last edited:
yeah. I found the radios in the big blue box of stuff. the plane has 7 channle's and the boat three now that I'm lookin at them closer. the motor in the boat is frozen should I bother with it or toss it. not sure about the planes motor. I can rotate the prop around but it dosnet feel like the motor is turning over with it. but it feels alittle hard to rotate....So what would my First action be Then plane looks old the boat looks even older or its a really good kit.

You have a receiver in the plane that can handle 7 channels. Most of them come that way now. Cheaper to just make one, rather than 4 ch, 5ch, 6ch etc. That way you use what you need.
Unless you have retracts on the plane, and full flap functions, it would be a 4 channel radio you would need.
Most ground frequencies are 3, steering, throttle and reverse. (reverse not being variable, but an on/off of sorts.
Is the plane electric or nitro?
If you can, I agree, pictures will help.

Plane1.jpg

Plane2.jpg

Boat1.jpg

Boat2.jpg

Boat3.jpg

These are the pics of the plane and boat I have the main wing for the plane its just not on it as you can see.

So, they're both nitro engines. The plane is most likely a .40, and the boat appears to have a .15 water cooled engine.
You can't do anything with either till you have a radio system working. Once you have that, you make sure the carb opens and closes properly so you don't throw a rod with a runaway. It looks like the black belt laying in the boat travels in the flywheel, and attaches to an electric starter.
If you do things right, I'm sure you can get both of them going again.

Don't know a thing about boats.
Plane looks in pretty fair shape.
Don't turn the motor over without checking to see if any dirt got in it.
Check the firewall, to see it hasn't come loose.
Check the hinges in all the control surfaces.
Any balsa that is broke is an easy fix most of the time. Just cut the monokote off make the repair and re-cover it.

Really need to clean both of them up. Go over em real good.

Good luck with both.

Yeah around here in sunny Petaluma Ca,. their really is no place to fly so I here.. So it looks like the Boat will get the first attention..

Both motors are 40s the plane is an O.S. 40 and the boat is a Torpedo 40 .I took the cooling head off the boat motor and opened it up its all covered in goo. you know the fuel residue he never put oil in it when he stored it. so I'm soakin it in some gas its seems to work will see.

Yeah around here in sunny Petaluma Ca,. their really is no place to fly so I here.. So it looks like the Boat will get the first attention..

Both motors are 40s the plane is an O.S. 40 and the boat is a Torpedo 40 .I took the cooling head off the boat motor and opened it up its all covered in goo. you know the fuel residue he never put oil in it when he stored it. so I'm soakin it in some gas its seems to work will see.

This might cause more harm than good. You would be better off putting some denatured alchohol thru the parts, as it won't damage the seals.

might damage seals

Well there are no seals on this motor and its old.. I've taken her apart its a torpedo .40 they used paper gaskets to seal witch are all done for.

Today I got a brand new Electric boat kit in the bos FREE..From a another Friend (I use capitals for the Friend because they are good ones) not just because they give me stuff but because we do stuff for eachother.to make life easier on us. anyway I'm gratefull to have so much.

Ok what if I took the planes motor and prop and mounted it on the back of this other boat body i have. Kinda like a windboat of sorts..

Back