Just a poll...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnSampson

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
How many of you would use a nitro engine cleaning service? Like they would replace old bearings, and clean, and oil and stuff like that? And how much would you be willing to pay if someone where to do something like this

$0

I would never have anybody else work or clean my RC's. That's part of the enjoyment for the hobby.

That's something I like to do myself

I'm right there with many others, I enjoy working on my RC's. On the other hand I can certainly see how this might be a useful service, maybe to someone just getting started.

Tough thing would be to figure out a price, to little and you don't make anything to much and it doesn't make sense for someone to use the service. I'm thinking some newbies would like this but those same people are probably running low end engines which can easily be purchased for $100 sometimes less online, so I'm thinking maybe $30-40.

Might even be able to offer rebuild services but again the hardest part is going to be price. I see people now asking about rebuilding traxxas engines for example, by the time you replace the piston, sleeve and bearings for literately a few bucks more just go buy a brand new traxxas engine and be done with it.

Keep us posted if decide to go forward with this!

I was thinking about trying something like this. I think new people would find it helpful, one difficulty would be the shipping payment, for here and back, like you said above the pricing would be tough

Another thing that'll affect the cost will be the cut that PayPal (or whatever other company you decide to use) charges. You will also have the issue of working with used engines. Someone may send an engine that's worn out, and unless you replace the P/S it'll still be worn out when you're finished. If they pay for your service and receive a nice clean but still worn out engine, they may try to say that you wore it out and it ran perfect before you touched it. I think that's one of the reasons most engine mod guys only work with new engines, especially for new customers.

that is a very good point: You will also have the issue of working with used engines. Someone may send an engine that's worn out, and unless you replace the P/S it'll still be worn out when you're finished. If they pay for your service and receive a nice clean but still worn out engine, they may try to say that you wore it out and it ran perfect before you touched it.

Ill work on trying to figure out the logistics for this and see if it would be feasible. The above is a very good point!

I think you would need to add in something for it to be financially feasible!..like a carb seal replace and sleeve pinch,engine seal

Nice, I definitely will have engine sealing, I'll look into sleeve pinching.

I'll probably plan to do most things. It would be like a full engine repair and cleaning type thing

I wouldn't pay anything-
1) I ENJOY it
2) I wouldn't feel satisfied and I'd do it myself
3) I'd rather spend my money on upgrades.
The only thing I'd pay for would be engine airflow optimization, or getting it clocked (basically the same).

I would not pay for a service like that because I would rather do it myself.

Back