I've jumped on the bandwagon!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitro4910

Nitro Junkie!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well I went and done it now! I scored a Werks/picco .26 powered Revo locally for $75!
And the engine has a ton of compression to it, I am still going to tare it down for a good looksee since it's an unknown to me, but as long as the internals are I think it will be screamer.

It does need some TLC and a total going through, all the rod ends are junk(either loose or to tight to use), and it needs a steering servo.

But overall it seems to be in rater good shape.

As a total noob to the revo platform, is there anything specific I should keep my eyes open for?

Are the heavier Traxxas springs for the revo worth buying or should I go aftermarket for springs?

Now to the pics!
Revo1_zps996671e6.jpg

Revo4_zpsa0583894.jpg

piccohead_zpsb8b7d7ef.jpg

Gotta love the ingenuity here!
OMGServos_zps24c7b752.jpg

Dude. You got a sick deal.

Trx springs are good I generally run anything from gold to black In the rear and green in the front
mechanically it's very similar to the maxx so a few thing can be interchanged diffs are different .Onething I can suggest to look at Iis the engine mount/cradle if the engine as taken a few good knocks it can bend the chassis making it very hard to mesh the spur and cb .The chassis can be bent back but like most things made from aluminum it gets weak good thing is a new chassis can be had on the bay for under 10 bucks.

Take a good look at the engine mount for cracks or broken. Look at the frame where the motor mount is and make sure it's straight. If it's bent up at all, you will have very little room to get the air filter on between the carb and the spur gear. As far as springs, I went back to stock because I have the integy piggy back shocks and they were breaking. (gee is that any surprise?)

I was typing this when chickenman posted his reply. Didn't see it until after I posted it.

Thanks for the info on the springs, it sags rather badly ATM.
I plan on doing a total tear down, clean, inspect & reassembly/rebuild.
My initial assessment is it hasn't seen much run time, has little wear on the underside.
It has taken a few good licks on the head so the engine mount/mounting area will need a thorough lookin at.
So far I've only seen minor things that need replaced so I'm crossin my fingers nothing major need's replaced.

first things first ,airfilter and pullstart after that like you say its just the basics ,you can get a new set of gtr shocks for around 10 dollars. I've done it on a few of my rigs its way cheaper to just buy new than buying springs oil and rebuild kits if needed.
overall its a sweet looking rig and for that price you can't beat it...

$75 is a deal and a half. Even if the engine was shot, that is a really decent deal and looks solid place to start.

Other than maybe some of the MIC aluminum parts makers, I don't believe anyone makes aftermarket shocks and don't recall ever seeing any aftermarket springs. Traxxas really nailed those cantilever shocks right from the start anyway and their springs are as good as you can get. And Ebay sellers practically give them away.

I would get it up and running before plunging too much money into it. See what it needs as you find issues with it. One of the best sources for OE parts are the ebay chop shops. I've had great luck with 1 guy who is in Florida.

There are lots of aftermarket parts for the Revo including shocks. I agree that the Traxxas GTR shocks are the best that I've found for it. For a filter I'd go with a Motor Saver. For a pipe, if you can afford it , go with ERCM. Robin makes some great pipes.

What a great deal! I bought one chassis with a new 3.3 and tranny in fine shape but I paid
twice that price. Then I bought a roller (which proved to be rode hard and put up wet) for more than you spent on yours...I still feel good about building a Revo from these parts. Have fun!

Every now & then you can score wicked local deals, I assumed the engine was going to be a paperweight since he was only asking $75, but it's got a ton of pinch to it.

I did some fleebay cruising and I can't believe you can get new shocks, springs & rockers for under $20!

I made up my parts list it came up to $50, but I'm sure I can shave some of that off after I get tore all the way down, cleaned & inspected.

All the push rod ends are toast, and for what Traxxas want's for just the ends I can fleebay a complete push rod & turnbuckle set.

its funny how cheap the gtr shocks are and if you get an e revo set it comes with the green gold spring combo which is the best I've found and is also filled with 40wt from factory.
I guess the beauty of getting an older rig is the fact that the option parts for that truck are now usually standard parts on the latest model trucks. I curious about that engine , is it a picco .26 max or some other discontinued engine ,back in the day there were so many engines around for these things now not so , I totally dig the ofna .28 for grunt...

Its a rebadged Picco .26, Werks racing .26, other then that all I've managed to dig up is other then the orange ano'd head it's a Picco .26 with Werks logo on it.

It is funny how the "option" parts end up as the now stock parts on later model's.
Good tip on the E~revo springs.

those piccos always have a ton of pinch ,my .26 has nearly 2 gallons on it and i still have to preheat it.that shock spring combo is what i run on my .26 powered revo and works great on the .28 powered one i run the tan springs in the rear and 45wt all round.
good luck and have fun we want to see this bad boy running

Its a Revo in a can!
Got the Revo torn down most of the way, all looks good except for mostly small stuff.
Time to get to ordering parts.

906218ac-ee25-4d2a-b9df-436b3ba60e49_zpse5728ba1.jpg

I have a question for you long time Revo guys, I just got done doing the total breakdown and cleaning of all the Revo's parts.
What I need to know is are the engines mount supposed have cutouts(the four middle holes) like you see below, or are those junk and it's time for new ones?

imagejpg1_zps6f80becd.jpg

I also found a broken bulkhead, but those are cheap enough.

imagejpg2_zps24c8b0df.jpg

Its a Revo in a can!
Got the Revo torn down most of the way, all looks good except for mostly small stuff.
Time to get to ordering parts.

906218ac-ee25-4d2a-b9df-436b3ba60e49_zpse5728ba1.jpg

I like what you have to work with there...look forward to watching you build her.

After looking around I think I'm going replace them, all the ones I've seen aren't scored like mine are, I'm thinking it got run with the bolts a little loose.

or they have been on and off a ton of times ,I would run them ,just put a dab of Loctite on the bolts .as long as they nip up fine some of mine are a bit average but as long as you keep an eye on them should be sweet ,the main part to check is that the 4 bolts that go through the brace,chassis and into the mount tighten up good.

Back