It has arrived! SCX24 Deadbolt

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't really decided on wheels yet, but was leaning towards some Treals. Good to know about the bead issue. I have some 1.55 and 1.9 RC4WD wheels and love them. I freakin love their scale hex bolts!

I threw all of the Treal upgrades in my cart waiting to see what the truck needs, so I will grab the diff covers and those extenders first. I am also grabbing the bent links because I have already noticed how it gets hung up on the links. I will be grabbing the Furitec kit in a couple weeks.

Oh, and just like my 1:16 WPL rigs, aftermarket shocks for it look to be crap. Fortunately these Axial shocks look amazing. The springs seem to be spot on. Curious though, why do you invert them?

And yeah, I am 100% positive I will have at least 2.5x the money in upgrades as the cost of the truck 😜

Thanks for the info!
Unfortunately that's how it always goes. Always spend more on maken the RC they way you want then the actual coast of the RC. Funny how that goes LOL

Shhh, don't tell anyone I'm slumming a 2s lizard, and my 3s tegu is still in the unopened package. This thing folded a set of gspeed chassis rails in half on 2s (that's how it got its name, btw).
20210328_212551.jpg

It would be utterly reeediculous on 3s!

20210720_221538.jpg

So, yeah, gspeed warrantied the rails. I ❤ them. I didn't even ask for a warranty. I just sent Gabe a picture of the carnage for entertainment value and 30 minutes later he replied with a tracking #. I added some printed eBay sliders, an hr skid- flipped, so I can run the outrunner facing forward to gimme a little more foc. It ended up like 63/37 & I love how it runs, so I highly recommend doing that. Surpass 2204 1400kv on a shapeways holmes 380 outrunner mount. I built this with the holmes 380 about the same time that 2fm was doing his first furitek build on yt. My holmes suffered a catastrophe earlyin life (had a motor wire arc on 3s with a cheapo 18a esc- smoked everything at once 😵), so I picked up a surpass for $10 because it was cheap and it would fit (compatible hole spacing). After watching 2fm's review I got in on furiteks first pre-order. I had no idea it would be so great as a combo! I'm not saying the Taco was inspirational for furitek, but I showed Tony pics of Taco before surpass was really known as a crawler motor. I may have raved about how good they were...
Anyways, I mounted the esc to the slider with a dab of 2p10, and used zip ties to manage the wires. The shocks are upside down to hold some heavy grease in the reservoir end. It helps (marginally) to slow down the travel. Barely. They still suck as far as shocks go, but nobody's offering a performance based alternative yet.

The whole thing could be organized so much better, but like any good Taco, it's kinda messy.

The rest of the parts:
Brass knuckles
Brass front diff cover
Brass front hexes (lost a couple, so the rears are plastic again. Buy loads of extra nylock wheel nuts. You'll thank me for that)
O rings on all steering link balls to tighten some of that slop (buy loads of those, too)
Rc4wd steel wagon wheels (the cheap ones, flipped for extra width)
Rdq 2s batteries
Radiolink micro rx
Emax servo- soon to be replaced with a reefs 99
"Kustom" bent links (bent with a Bic lighter, the way a pro does it)
I got creative with magnets for the body mount. And I had to butcher the fenders. The mudslingers literally tore the body off a couple times before I cut enough clearance in.

Sorry for the long post. Blame the Pendleton.

Shhh, don't tell anyone I'm slumming a 2s lizard, and my 3s tegu is still in the unopened package. This thing folded a set of gspeed chassis rails in half on 2s (that's how it got its name, btw).
View attachment 129912

It would be utterly reeediculous on 3s!

View attachment 129910
So, yeah, gspeed warrantied the rails. I ❤ them. I didn't even ask for a warranty. I just sent Gabe a picture of the carnage for entertainment value and 30 minutes later he replied with a tracking #. I added some printed eBay sliders, an hr skid- flipped, so I can run the outrunner facing forward to gimme a little more foc. It ended up like 63/37 & I love how it runs, so I highly recommend doing that. Surpass 2204 1400kv on a shapeways holmes 380 outrunner mount. I built this with the holmes 380 about the same time that 2fm was doing his first furitek build on yt. My holmes suffered a catastrophe earlyin life (had a motor wire arc on 3s with a cheapo 18a esc- smoked everything at once 😵), so I picked up a surpass for $10 because it was cheap and it would fit (compatible hole spacing). After watching 2fm's review I got in on furiteks first pre-order. I had no idea it would be so great as a combo! I'm not saying the Taco was inspirational for furitek, but I showed Tony pics of Taco before surpass was really known as a crawler motor. I may have raved about how good they were...
Anyways, I mounted the esc to the slider with a dab of 2p10, and used zip ties to manage the wires. The shocks are upside down to hold some heavy grease in the reservoir end. It helps (marginally) to slow down the travel. Barely. They still suck as far as shocks go, but nobody's offering a performance based alternative yet.

The whole thing could be organized so much better, but like any good Taco, it's kinda messy.

The rest of the parts:
Brass knuckles
Brass front diff cover
Brass front hexes (lost a couple, so the rears are plastic again. Buy loads of extra nylock wheel nuts. You'll thank me for that)
O rings on all steering link balls to tighten some of that slop (buy loads of those, too)
Rc4wd steel wagon wheels (the cheap ones, flipped for extra width)
Rdq 2s batteries
Radiolink micro rx
Emax servo- soon to be replaced with a reefs 99
"Kustom" bent links (bent with a Bic lighter, the way a pro does it)
I got creative with magnets for the body mount. And I had to butcher the fenders. The mudslingers literally tore the body off a couple times before I cut enough clearance in.

Sorry for the long post. Blame the Pendleton.
Holy hell. It did turn it into a taco lol. I already have 100's of locknuts and o-rings. When I got into 3d printing I was constantly needing fasteners, so I stocked up on everything from 2mm up to 4mm.

So I guess I will just have to see when I get the Furitek kit how it will all fit in the truck. I saw Tomley's vid where he had to hack the hell out of the front electronics tray to get the kit installed. I will likely be doing some 3d designs to get things to fit properly. Homey don't play that way 😜

Tacos for breakfast sheesh! Everyone knows Cheeseburgers are what's for breakfast! ;) But tacos for brunch....🤔:thumbs-up:
That settles it then cheeseburgers for breakfast and tacos for brunch. I'm ready to tackle tomorrow! hahahahaha

Great...all this taco talk got me craving tacos for breakfast! 🤣
Who has tacos for breakfast?!
Now, burritos are the perfect breakfast food!
I have some old New Bright RC's you can eat if ya wanna fold em in half 😜
You may want to add a bit of salt with those NB.

Cables arrived and I got some XT60's soldered on. Went ahead and threw a vid together for my son's YT channel on making a cable because we haven't put a vid up for awhile.
Got a little run video in the works. Will get that uploaded in a few. This rig is IMPRESSIVE!

Last edited:
Can you guys see the vid above? It works fine if I share in messenger. But not here.
Little run time for the Deadbolt

Last edited:
Back