Is my clutch built correctly?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohmygahitscoby

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys,

I just bought my flywheel (HPI 3-shoe flywheel for Savage) and Kyosho shoes (Aluminum shoes + 1.0 springs), and I noticed that it was fairly easy installing them. I'm not sure if I did anything wrong, but many people were having problems with their first time. So I want to see if I did do anything wrong or it's all correct. My idea was that I put the flywheel nut upside down, which made it easier, but I'm uncertain. Also, the CB is a bit over the clutch shoes, but it says that you don't want to see the shoes with the CB on. This happen with this combo and also with the Integy flywheel and shoes combo (Aluminum). I did not shim under the CB, so it's like that. One last thing, if I want to add shims to reduce the space of the CB going back and forth, do I add it above or below the CB? If anyone can point out where I went wrong, I'd be glad. Thanks!

Pictures:

Picture of two shoes on the flywheel. You can also see direction of flywheel nut.
DSC03700.jpg

Picture of all shoes installed.
DSC03703.jpg

Picture with CB on.
DSC03704.jpg

-Coby

Last edited:
Direction and springs look perfect. My bell was gapped like that on my Savage... Never really thought twice about it. The key thing is that the teeth on the bell line up with the teeth on the spur. Other than that, looks good.

Awesome. Thanks!

Also, I was wondering why some people were having problems with putting on the shoes. Most people had to do it using the spring tool, but I just used a flathead screwdriver and I was fine. Was it because the springs were soft? What benefits do I get if my springs are tighter?

A later engagement, which will allow you to idle higher. I use a flat head screwdriver to put mine on too.

Before you bolt the engine to the truck, make sure you put enough shims in place to keep the bell from sliding back and forth. That's the #1 cause of bearing failure.

Ya there on right, like HeartBreak said just as long as the CB doesn't move back and forth, your good.

If it were me, I'd grind the flywheel nut down a bit so the bell completely covered the shoes and so I could put a shim on both sides of the CB. One shim on the flywheel nut to keep the bearing from dragging on the nut and at least one shim on the end of the crank to keep the bearing from hitting the washer on the bolt that holds it on. Then I'd fiddle with shims until the CB had a tick of play in and out on the crankshaft. Too tight and it cooks bearings. Too loose and it goofs up shoes and damages bearings.

Having your shoes exposed like that will make them grind funny and could cause hangup issues as the shoes wear. They may hang up on the rim of the CB. Also, your not getting full engagement since yours shoes aren't fully contacting the bell housing.

Normally, when I'm fitting a CB/flywheel on an engine, I don't bother with the shoes until I have the alignment correct with the spur. I tighten down the flywheel nut just enough to keep it on, put the shims/bearings/cb on, then test fit it. Then I add or take away shims from the back of the flywheel. Once I get the alignment correct, I tighten down the flywheel nut, then install the shoes and everything else.

Other than that, it appears your orientation is good. Not bad for a first try.

Last edited:
Oh okay, thanks guys. I know how much play there should be also, since I've had experience with nitro engines before also.

What should I use to grind down the flywheel nut? I want to make it even also, and I'm pretty bad at Dremel'ing.

Again, thanks guys!
-Coby

Oh okay, thanks guys. I know how much play there should be also, since I've had experience with nitro engines before also.

What should I use to grind down the flywheel nut? I want to make it even also, and I'm pretty bad at Dremel'ing.

Again, thanks guys!
-Coby

I'd say a dremel with a cut-off disc, with the nut chucked in a vice. Remove it from the engine first (obviously).

I say shim it. Align the shoes to the bell so they wear evenly.

Yeah, so I have to Dremel it. I'm scared to because I'm really bad at using a cutting wheel or any other Dremel tool. Should I look around and see if they sell any shorter nuts :hehe:?

Definitely. Thanks! I'll call my LHS tomorrow and see if they have it or anything similar. Thanks guys!

Also, I heard some guys talking about their clutch shoes. They said that they use one aluminum, one carbon, and one composite, or something like that. What does this do? Does it throw off the weight on the flywheel?

Last edited:
Back