is 30 degrees to cold for a nitro

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offroadrcguy

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
  5. Flying
what's the average temp you run your nitro's in and is 32 to cold
I wrap the head in tinfoil and measure the temps when running at 40 but never have tried running at 30 degrees. is it possible with a bit of tinfoil wrapping?

thanks for the help

I have run my nitro MGT in snow - temps around -10C. I had no issues, other than starting can be frustrating. Definitely need to re-tune the carb for teh cols weather. I never wrapped the head - just ran as is.

This video reccomends putting a cloth or a foil on your cooling head

Use foil or rubber if your running in snow. Cloth just holds cold water/snow/ice against the cooling head. But, if it's dry out, using the top part of a baby sock is a quick thing to throw on and keep in your pocket.

I'd usually make a wrap out of bicycle inner tube that was just small enough to fit snug. I'd use CA glue to make a "rubber band" of sorts. It would shed water and block wind, also wouldn't get mangled when I threw it in my pit box until next winter.

I used to run nitro in the winter/snow, but they can be annoying to start and tune changes pretty drastically when the engine gets snow/slush on it anyway, so you go from decent running to blubbery rich/cold, then decent running again until you hit more snow/water. Small blocks were less fussy about it, guessing less surface area to heat up may have helped. Either way, I'd have old engines I'd run in the winter and good engines I'd run the rest of the year just so the bad tune from snow running wasn't beating up a good engine.

Now days, I just run electric and don't really run nitro anyway. That's if I run in the cold at all... lol! Seems the older I get, the less tolerant I am of the environment I'm standing in.

20 years ago (roughly)...
2005-1204-RevoSnowDayTop.jpg

2005-0105-SavageSnowSide.JPG

My rule is, if it's under 50, wrap the head. Generally I don't run under 50 because like Olds said, it's just not pleasant to be out there doing it!

They make head heaters, so I wonder if those wouldn't work well to just leave on to keep the heat in, but I guess you gotta tuck the wire somewhere.