Intermittent Throttle/Brake Problem on Nitro 3.3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greybags

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi All,

I've got an interesting problem with my 3.3 which has plagued me for a week or so now - had the car about 6 weeks and bashed it pretty hard :D. Basically when driving, the throttle cuts out and the car doesn't respond to the throttle for a second or two then it starts again. I was worried i'd leaned the engine too much and richened it out in case but even with plenty of smoke it continues to do the same. I realised today that it can't be a fuel (well to my limited knowledge) issue as when the throttle dies so do the brakes. To me then it would appear to be a servo problem which is intermittent and only when I'm driving (weird) or I've read a lot about the Optidrive malfunctioning. I was going to try to take that out of the equation but the instructions I've seen before of taking one plug out and plug another in seems to be a little more complex as some of the wiring is now hard wired into the Optidrive module not just plugs. Perhaps the previous instructions were on older models?

So I'm here looking for someone more experienced than me to give me some suggestions as to how to fix this annoying issue. This aside the car is the best thing I've spent money on in years :)

Optidrive or Servo (or something completely unrelated that I've not thought of)? I'm sure I'm going to get the FOC answer but I really only use it bashing and reverse is very convenient so unless that's the only option I really don't want to go down that path.

Appreciate any advice to a newbie to the game!

Cheers all

Greybags

Have you checked all your connections where the wires plug into the optidrive & the receiver, you probably have but I thought it might be worth a mention. Same with the receiver battery, hows the charge in it, mine only lasts about 4 tanks of fuel before the fail safe kicks in. A couple of times my fail safe has kicked in when the battery was getting low then it has let me drive again for a few seconds before kicking in again. your problem may be something completely different but its worth checking.

my revo done the same thing had a bad opti-drive sensor on tranny and was sending it into safe mode.i replaced it and it ran fine till i went with the f.o.c

Do you also lose steering when this happens or just throttle? If your losing both steering and throttle, could be a bad connection somewhere, a bad switch or loose battery cell if your using a 4AA holder.

You can ditch the optidrive entirely. It only keeps you from moving when your trying to shift. If you make sure you are at idle and the truck is not moving when you shift forward/revers, the optidrive is unnecessary. It's only a precautionary device.

Thanks Guys,

It was just the throttle and brake, the steering was fine. I removed the sensor and swapped it with a mate who has the same car and it ran fine (until I stripped the spurgy :) Looks like another victim on the Opti-Drive...

Appreciate the replies and the suggestions

Cheers

I never had problems with the Opti Drive until I removed the AM radio system and replaced it with a Spectrum DX3C radio system on my Revo. I attempted 6 years ago to install a JR XS3 FM receiver than just went back to the AM Radio also because of the opti drive system. I wanted a better radio system and it just does not work with anything other than traxxas radios.

If you read my tranny problem post I ran the DX3C all summer than stripped a reverse gear.

If you never intend on using reverse on your truck as I never have then install a forward only transmission gear conversion. The truck will move faster because it has less gears in the transmission to turn over. Less moving parts also equal more relibility. After installing forward only gears in both my Revo and Tmaxx I fell less resistance when manually turning my transmissions over.

Last edited:
I have ofna ultra got lx nitro.i keep loosing throttle connection when I’m driving it. Seems to only happen when I come to a stop. I have to flip the on/off switch on car and it comes right back. Does anyone know what this could be. Or how I can trouble shoot this?

Can you plug the receiver pack directly into the receiver to bypass the switch? Then you can at least rule out the switch.

Are you using 4xAA's in a spring loaded holder or a 2/3A receiver pack? If your using the AA holder, get a receiver pack. AA holders are notorious for intermittent issues when driving or the engine is running due to the vibration breaking the connection as the springs allow the cells to float around.