Interesting foam idea.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen those. I don't have any TPU. Might try something like that one of these days.

Make some for me
I need to get into this 3D printing poop

Thanks for sharing. 3Brothers RC has them as well. Very tempted to buy some of these.

I pretty much did that with a tire I designed and used the infill as closed cell compartments.. So the tire itself is the tire and insert all in the same.. .. I am actually impressed with the way the TPU fronts work on my 1/10 drag car .. I am running a spool in the car so I thought they would push really bad, but nope , they actually hook up pretty good used as fronts..
20220325_192526.jpg

This is almost enough to get me to buy a 3d printer. I'm on the verge.
Then buy one. You won't regret it at all. The Ender 3 V2 would be a good one to catch on sale, or even at full price. It is small, like 8.6" square build surface, but a great start into 3d printing. I am here and available 24/7 for anyone needing help with setting one up and getting going.

This is awesome! I was looking at many types of foam on Lowes, and Amazon... trying to figure out what might work when the time came to replace the open cell foams on my Kraton. I've got 3/4 of a spool of Overture 95A TPU left over from wing mounts and mud guards. I'd be game for trying to make some large monster truggy tire inserts.

If someone would point me in the right direction (I'm lazy at the moment) to an STL file, that would be much appreciated.
I pretty much did that with a tire I designed and used the infill as closed cell compartments.. So the tire itself is the tire and insert all in the same.. .. I am actually impressed with the way the TPU fronts work on my 1/10 drag car .. I am running a spool in the car so I thought they would push really bad, but nope , they actually hook up pretty good used as fronts.. View attachment 146121
What filament did you use?

Then buy one. You won't regret it at all. The Ender 3 V2 would be a good one to catch on sale, or even at full price. It is small, like 8.6" square build surface, but a great start into 3d printing. I am here and available 24/7 for anyone needing help with setting one up and getting going.
I've been considering getting one for a while now. I guess my concern is that I wouldn't be able to write my own files. I wouldn't be content just using things other people made. I'd want to create my own stuff. Is it hard? Keep in mind, I'm just a redneck auto tech :D

I've been considering getting one for a while now. I guess my concern is that I wouldn't be able to write my own files. I wouldn't be content just using things other people made. I'd want to create my own stuff. Is it hard? Keep in mind, I'm just a redneck auto tech :D
Fusion 360 is free software for hobbyists. It just takes sitting down and learning it. There are a lot of tutorials for it on Youtube. There are other free 3d CAD programs, but Fusion is the best for dimensional modeling. There is also Blender, but with 25+ years CAD/CAM experience under my belt, I just can't be bothered to learn it it seems. Blender is pretty complicated, but you can do some amazing stuff with it.

It's been my experience that the soft foams have too much sidewall give, allowing the tire to roll sideways away from the wheel when side hilling. The inserts you see are not really hard, actually quite soft but have more structural rigidity to eliminate the give when sideways on a hill.

Oh, I see so those have like a spring action then? I can see that being beneficial in some scenarios for sure.

Heres a video with a pretty good example of them.

Thank you for the video! Those do look really cool. Alien technology at its best right there lol! And, water would not affect those at all. Great, something else I have to buy. :(

There seems to be a never ending list of rc stuff I 'need' 😂 That's one of the reasons I want to get a 3d printer.

I have a 3d printer, I'm still buying these though lol. It's often times easier and almost the same cost when you factor material time and energy.