Indian Larry's Last Biker Build Off

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfreak

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
First, this episode aired a long time ago. I just recently played it. It impacted me pretty hard. I figured I'd share with anyone that might have missed it.

I also have to give a little background. Biker Build Off is a show I started recording because it was lot of different folks building bikes. At the time I liked that American Chopper show so it only seamed natural to check it out. This is the third or forth season of Biker Build Off now. Every season he participated, one guy would take the win. Indian Larry was a legend. It didn’t seem to matter what city he was in, his old school bikes always got the most votes from the crowds. Besides being a legendary bike builder, he was just a crazy guy to watch. His presence was like biker meets carnival side show. His bikes were pretty sweet too.

Anyway, I flipped on one of the Biker Build Off episodes and I was really surprised if not completely shocked to see Indian Larry building an insane chain frame bike. Like most everyone else, I knew that Indian Larry died sometime in the fall. I figured maybe they recorded this episode in the summer and they would surely say something at the end: "In Memory Of ..."

So I watched it almost all the way to the end of the program under the impression that Indian Larry had put one more biker build off win under his belt before having his accident months later. They followed the show’s format all the way through. Larry and Mondo road their bikes into the rally and they showed their stuff to the crowd. They showed members of the crowd voting. Then they did something that’d done in the past. They showed Indian Larry doing his typical tricks where he stands on his bike and stuff like that. Then it hit almost at the same time the announcer said it. This rally – the rally where the world saw the first chain frame bike would be Larry’s last rally. The bike tricks shown would be the last the crowd present or anyone else would see Larry perform.

So you know, I'm not an emotional person. I’m the kind of guy that picks the dead dog up in the middle of the street, buries it out back and hops in the car with the kids to go get a new puppy without shedding a tear. The end of this episode, however, brought a tear to my eye. I was blinking it off and wiping my eye, pretending I had something stuck in it. Then, I glanced to my left and noticed my wife was doing the same thing. It was a pretty emotional ending to what started out as any other Biker Build Off.

Anyway, it was pretty shocking to me to find out that Indian Larry died basically while this episode of Biker Build Off was being taped. It was pretty sad too.

-bigfreak

PS hate to post and leave, but I gtg.

Last edited:
I was surprised that they aired that episode as well. Unfortunately the fact of the matter is if you neglect simple safety precautions(e.g. helmet) bad things can happen. While he built some interesting bikes, I prefer the newer, sleeker styles. I just like watching them build and see what kind of ideas they come up with. It would sure be nice to have the shop tools they all have in my garage.

I had chills throughout the show. That bike was awesome!

Back