In need of help Starting issues

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevo747

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Hi guy’s I’m having Trouble Starting My newly acquired FTX Carnage. I’ve run the engine in now I went to take it for a spin this morning and it wouldn’t Start got home it Started once run for about a minute then nothing
It’s full with fuel! There is an overflow tube on the tank is that correct?? Plus I took out the glow plug to see if it’s glowing and it was tried to start it again still nothing then looked at the glow plug again then it was not showing any light at all I’ve got the glow stick on charge hoping it’s that otherwise what you guys reckon could it be that? I’m a little doubtful I wish I read up on the FTX Carnage nitros. That’s all I seem to find is bad feedback?!? Next time I’m investing in a good make of car preferably a buggy not a truggy….. all help will be greatly appreciated
Guys. Many thanks Stevo…

there should be a hose coming off exhaust pipe to build pressure in tank then hose to carb. glow plug must work

Is this right the hose was out I’ve stuck it back does it look right I’ve attached a photo
Many thanks for the help.

A9F17F79-B158-405E-9619-26B20B601E9E.jpeg

there should be a hose coming off exhaust pipe to build pressure in tank then hose to carb. glow plug must work
Thanks tnt for the help can you confirm I’ve put it back correctly? Cheers Stevo

Should it be attached to something tnt because I’ve just tried to stick it into the exhaust do you think i should take or loosen the exhaust and stick it in is it supposed to be inserted into the exhaust because it’s just loose sitting there as in the photo?? Thanks for your help……. 👍

Hi there have you got it running yet? When your engine died after less than a minute it running did it lose rpm/bog then died.
Have you tried removing the glow plug, flipping the car upside down and pulling the pull start. This should clear the cylinder of excess fuel.
it’s just loose sitting there as in the photo??
By loose do you mean easy to pull of the plug/nipple. If so i cut a small bit of the line then reinsert it
If you plug the exhaust and pull the starter does fuel go through your line to the carb

This video might help you.

There's a little recess and hose barb there, the tube should be pressed onto it. I've found that it's not a very tight fit and once oily from exhaust it slips off very easily. A zip tie around the body of the pipe over the barb can secure it.

20230305_143213.jpg

The metal pipe is a good upgrade with a proper hose barb coming off of it.

Hi wolf I’ve sorted the exhaust you was right it was off the nipple now it’s back on I put a zip tie around the exhaust have I made a mistake there because it’s plastic I’m sure it would melt only did this because I couldn’t get a tie around the nipple on the exhaust I’ll try and start it first thing in the morning waiting on the glow starter to complete it’s charge. Thanks once again for your help much appreciated…..🤟🏻🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿👍🤓
Hi there have you got it running yet? When your engine died after less than a minute it running did it lose rpm/bog then died.
Have you tried removing the glow plug, flipping the car upside down and pulling the pull start. This should clear the cylinder of excess fuel.

By loose do you mean easy to pull of the plug/nipple. If so i cut a small bit of the line then reinsert it
If you plug the exhaust and pull the starter does fuel go through your line to the carb

This video might help you.
Sorted the tube on the exhaust thanks for your help my friend. I’m waiting on the glow starter to charge I’ll let you know the outcome in the morning to see weather it starts or not cheers 🤟🏻🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿👍🤓

Hi wolf I’ve sorted the exhaust you was right it was off the nipple now it’s back on I put a zip tie around the exhaust have I made a mistake there because it’s plastic I’m sure it would melt only did this because I couldn’t get a tie around the nipple on the exhaust I’ll try and start it first thing in the morning waiting on the glow starter to complete it’s charge. Thanks once again for your help much appreciated…..🤟🏻🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿👍🤓

Sorted the tube on the exhaust thanks for your help my friend. I’m waiting on the glow starter to charge I’ll let you know the outcome in the morning to see weather it starts or not cheers 🤟🏻🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿👍🤓
Good luck!

If that is the plug you used to break it in, get a new plug. It may glow, but there's likely some small metal bits from the break-in on the coil which will hinder performance.

Good luck!
Hi vod it’s Starting now but I’ve always got to have the throttle open abit for it to start it won’t idle otherwise intill it’s warm? Any thoughts on this? Cheers Vod….🤟🏻🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿👍
If that is the plug you used to break it in, get a new plug. It may glow, but there's likely some small metal bits from the break-in on the coil which will hinder performance.
It’s Starting now Monkey the plug is glowing but I’ve got to give it a little throttle to get it started is this a issue I should be worried about or normal like having a motorcycle choke on as I’ve got bikes but not used to rc engines lol 😂 🤟🏻🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿👍🤓

Hi vod it’s Starting now but I’ve always got to have the throttle open abit for it to start it won’t idle otherwise intill it’s warm? Any thoughts on this? Cheers Vod….🤟🏻🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿👍

It’s Starting now Monkey the plug is glowing but I’ve got to give it a little throttle to get it started is this a issue I should be worried about or normal like having a motorcycle choke on as I’ve got bikes but not used to rc engines lol 😂 🤟🏻🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿👍🤓
Its not abnormal that you have to open the throttle open a tad. Now the fun part. Follow the flow chart down below. It should help you a ton. Also have you completed the break in process for your engine yet? If not check this video out or if youd rather a video for tunning help

Attachments

• tuning-flowchart.pdf
    51.6 KB · Views: 43
If it's not idling, your idle set screw needs adjusted to keep it open a bit. Should be a small screw by the LSN (but NOT the LSN needle itself) to adjust the throttle opening.

Cheers guys for all your help I’m running fine now! So it’s big boys play time lol 😂
Many thanks great forum would of been lost if it weren’t for you guy’s 🤟🏻🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🤓