Impove Acceleration?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitro Rascal

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi can anyone tell me how to improve the accaeleration of my savage 25 without compromising top end too much. Thanks. :thumbup:

Tune it??? Throw on a better tuned pipe.....

I've tuned it much as I dare any suggestions on the tuned pipe. Thanks

When i ran nitros, i used the jammin JP-3. Did wonders on my Losi with the Mach .26ss.

Ok, Thanks alpine. I'll look into that will it fit the savage 25?. Also is the any thing else I can do? Thanks.

I added a larger (2mil) head shim to mine, and ran 30% fuel. Also hheavier clutch springs to launch at higher rpm's.

30% fuel seems a bit much I don't know if its available near me. But head shims and stuff should be all right to sort out.

the head shim/30% is a package deal. you add shims to counteract the extra compression of the higher content.

better bearings, better pipe, better tune, better filter, lighter truck, lighter wheels/tires, 3 speed.

I'll begin working through that list beason but I'm not sure about 30% nitro. Thanks. ;)

If ur not gona run the higher % nitro, keep the stock head shim, or u will never be able tune it.

Well, you can also just step the clutch bell down a tooth or two. Many times, the engines that we run are never reaching anything close to their top RPM's when at WOT except when off the ground due to being geared too tall.

By lowering the CB count a tooth or two, you gain acceleration and use more of the top RPM's when at WOT, so speed loss may be non-existent.

I'm currently fighting with an STS30 in my newly acquired savage. It has a 3-speed trans and had an 18T bell with 46T spur. Which made it seem fast, but the engine wasn't coming close to high RPM's unless it runs for 50-70 yards WOT. Even then it was labored.

I just installed a 16T bell to gain some low end grunt (since 2nd gear comes so soon) and to help with the laboring at WOT.

Just a thought.

Well, you can also just step the clutch bell down a tooth or two. Many times, the engines that we run are never reaching anything close to their top RPM's when at WOT except when off the ground due to being geared too tall.

By lowering the CB count a tooth or two, you gain acceleration and use more of the top RPM's when at WOT, so speed loss may be non-existent.

I'm currently fighting with an STS30 in my newly acquired savage. It has a 3-speed trans and had an 18T bell with 46T spur. Which made it seem fast, but the engine wasn't coming close to high RPM's unless it runs for 50-70 yards WOT. Even then it was labored.

I just installed a 16T bell to gain some low end grunt (since 2nd gear comes so soon) and to help with the laboring at WOT.

Just a thought.

How many teeth would you suggest olds and how do you fit the 3-speed
unit. Thanks.

It depends on what gearing your currently running. What's your spur/cb combo now?

As for the 3-speed, I'm not sure how it fits... it was installed when I got the truck. It's inside the trans case and mine has an older 2-speed case, but 3 speed gears in it. I didn't know it was 3 speed until I owned it and had it tuned a little better. The unfortunate thing is that the 1st->2nd shift can't be adjusted without taking the trans apart.

It depends on what gearing your currently running. What's your spur/cb combo now?

As for the 3-speed, I'm not sure how it fits... it was installed when I got the truck. It's inside the trans case and mine has an older 2-speed case, but 3 speed gears in it. I didn't know it was 3 speed until I owned it and had it tuned a little better. The unfortunate thing is that the 1st->2nd shift can't be adjusted without taking the trans apart.

I'm not entirly sure of my spur/cb combo but it is stock for the savage 25.

Savage 25 stock, doesn't it come with a 49t spur and 2 clutch bell (15t and 18t) Not sure tho!!:\

Last edited:
I think I do have another clutch bell that came with it I'll try to find it the count the teeth. Thanks Boutch

oh ok well let me no and i can give u an estimate with some pipes