Idle too high!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bshobes

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
ok i have a tmaxx 3.3 .... it stays at a high idle ...but not like a roar but more like above normal idle...if that make sense.... anyways is it from being to lean or what my idle screw is set right (see in pic) i think ..... oh and its a little dirty just played with it
2012-11-10204331.jpg

---------- Post added at 9:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:49 PM ----------

oh and wheres is all this oil coming from? veiw pic.
2012-11-10205158.jpg

That oil could(most certainly is) be a sign of an air leak. Which could be the source of your high idle. I can't quite tell how big the idle gap is, but it should be .5-1MM tops. If you have no leaks and your idle gap is set right - and you still have a real high idle, your LSN is too lean.

But what do you mean by 'high idle'? Are the wheels turning if you lift the truck off the ground?

That oil could(most certainly is) be a sign of an air leak. Which could be the source of your high idle. I can't quite tell how big the idle gap is, but it should be .5-1MM tops. If you have no leaks and your idle gap is set right - and you still have a real high idle, your LSN is too lean.

But what do you mean by 'high idle'? Are the wheels turning if you lift the truck off the ground?

yes ....what does that mean?

That means the idles too high LOL. OR - in some cases a broken clutch spring, which I don't think is going on with your truck.

Looks like it's time for a new front bearing as the one in there is leaking rather badly.
Get a new o~ring kit for the engine & lube the new o~rings for easier reassembly, some will say to RTV seal your engine but it is a waste of time IMO,
just put it back together with new o~rings & you'll be good to go.

yep look what i just did.... see the bubbles?

2012-11-11021446.jpg

---------- Post added at 3:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 3:21 AM ----------

Looks like it's time for a new front bearing as the one in there is leaking rather badly.
Get a new o~ring kit for the engine & lube the new o~rings for easier reassembly, some will say to RTV seal your engine but it is a waste of time IMO,
just put it back together with new o~rings & you'll be good to go.

can you send me a link on where i can get these parts cheap

Don't let those bubbles fool you into thinking it has bad bearings.
I agree with 4910 on NOT sealing the engine, you probably have a bad exhaust gasket and a bad tune. That idle gap is too big, use a small paper clip to set it.

Don't let those bubbles fool you into thinking it has bad bearings.
I agree with 4910 on NOT sealing the engine, you probably have a bad exhaust gasket and a bad tune. That idle gap is too big, use a small paper clip to set it.

you know what i didnt think about that ..... look at all that gunk!!! does this look like it could be problem?
2012-11-11032804.jpg

i'd go with everyone else the gasket/o ring a quite cheap either lhs or ebay them and put her back together if its still got issues after that replace the bearing,from memerory you can get the crankcase with bearings isntalled for bout $30 off ebay

I would get the o-rings, or at least use a good high quality high temp copper rtv. An air leak is also going to be a fuel leak in most cases, so just look for fuel when you run it again.
I would make sure it's reset to factory settings and tune it from there. If it's cool outside you will want to run the hsn richer than that. It's ok if your idle seems a bit high as long as it's not trying to drive away on you.

yep look what i just did.... see the bubbles?

can you send me a link on where i can get these parts cheap

All bearing seals will leak a little air as they are not true seals, just dust shields really.

The only reason I said to look at the front bearing is the line of slung fuel visible in the picture's, if it's split fuel onto the the flywheel then just clean it up.

Traxxas engine seal kit #5247 $3.89 @,
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDGB6&P=ML

:Djusy get the right o-ring trx#5256 just a tip.your rig will last longer, run better,if you clean it everytime you run it.

Back