Identifying my ESC / Reciever problem, please help!

• Thread starter RustedReaperXVI
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustedReaperXVI

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Ok so, I have an LRP Spin Pro ESC connected to a Spektrum SR300 reciever with the dx3.0 controller.
For some reason, my ESC will power on fine, and when I move my wheels by force the reciever light up a small bit whilst moving it like it's reading kinetic energy or movement, however, the reciever itself will not work, at all.
If it goes green whilst i'm moving it and try to throttle, it does nothing.
If I throttle normally it does nothing.
I can't get it to throttle at all.
It happened whilst I was doing donuts outside my front door.
I brought it in.
To see if I disconnected my throttle as it cut out.
The wire has been tested in all the ports on the reciever, I tried resetting the ESC, which worked fine. all light moved, and it went solid green like it should when complete.
However, no setup / tune, or different channel on the controller can get my reciever running again, seems fairly obvious to me that the cable I have coming out the ESC for THC (throttle control) is broken somehow, just trying to get another opinion on what it could be, or am I right in saying that it's the THC cable being soldered wrong or coming loose or the connector breaking or something ?
Just let me know ASAP please I was planning on doing some jumps with my buggy tomorrow, this is the first time this has happened to my car.

Just something that popped up in my mind because i didn't read anything about it.

Have you tried re-binding the SR300 with the DX3 ?
Let me know if that worked.
if this didnt solve the issue perhaps the ESC wire(s) could be bad and you'd have to solder on fresh ones. or get a new ESC if soldering isn't your thing.

EDIT: re-bind it with nothing connected to the receiver!

You need to check the bec wires and contacts to see if you broke a wire .do you have a vom and the ability to use it ig so check for volta thru 2 wires only -/+. you can pull cent leed of rx plug from esc and add a receiver battery.. can be purchased or made with servo wire and 4 AA batts in series,

Last edited:
Just something that popped up in my mind because i didn't read anything about it.

Have you tried re-binding the SR300 with the DX3 ?
Let me know if that worked.
if this didnt solve the issue perhaps the ESC wire(s) could be bad and you'd have to solder on fresh ones. or get a new ESC if soldering isn't your thing.

EDIT: re-bind it with nothing connected to the receiver!
Thought it would have been ESC wires, I'll re-solder it it's easy just wanted another opinion from people, I haven't got the bind wire on me ATM so I can't re-bind till I find it sadly, I'll try that if re-wire doesn't work tho, I seriously doubt it's the reciever needing a re-bind as it looks like the black wire on my THC connector is loose, pretty sure I just need some cheap crappy pin connector to re-solder.

To me it sounds like the actually car batteries are those still good because with all of my cars when you turn the servo with no battery in it’ll light up because its acting like a generator at that point

To me it sounds like the actually car batteries are those still good because with all of my cars when you turn the servo with no battery in it’ll light up because its acting like a generator at that point
Definitely not the batteries, I just bought them 2 days ago, it's a 5000MaH 80c 2s, it was letting me full throttle without any problems so, why the reciever has suddenly stopped is news to me, not a clue

Sounds more like dead ESC to me. Or at least the BEC in it. Get a voltmeter, or a 5-6V bulb or LED and see if there's any voltage output on the ESC (the cable going to the Rx, which powers the rest of the electronics).

The ESC should output 5 or 6 V (most commonly). It powers the receiver and anything connected to it, e.g. servos, lights, fans.

Doubt it's a dead ESC, the lights and button on the ESC work fine, I can full reset the ESC with no problems, works fine, and the reciever only works from the energy generated when I move the wheels fast enough with my hands

Doubt it's a dead ESC, the lights and button on the ESC work fine, I can full reset the ESC with no problems, works fine, and the reciever only works from the energy generated when I move the wheels fast enough with my hands

If you say so. It works fine, only you don't know if it works fine since you can't drive it.
The fact it generates voltage output on the BEC side when you move the wheels is also not really normal behaviour.

try to recalibrate esc.
if you still only have reverse then your fets are blown on your esc.. its not the rx like u said in your posts.if and tires spinning create no voltage.its purly esc problems more than likely you cooked it with new batts

try to recalibrate esc.
if you still only have reverse then your fets are blown on your esc.. its not the rx like u said in your posts.if and tires spinning create no voltage.its purly esc problems more than likely you cooked it with new batts
I have re-calibrated the ESC, it does it every time, no errors and yet it doesn't work lol
If you say so. It works fine, only you don't know if it works fine since you can't drive it.
The fact it generates voltage output on the BEC side when you move the wheels is also not really normal behaviour.
It doesn't generate it through the tire movement in terms of the ESC it's when I move the steering wheels in front.
The ESC wheels do nothing when I move them it's irrelevant, also, you're right to an extent however, I think whoever said I should re-bind to my reciever was right, and I also think it's the THC wire from the ESC to the reciever, as steering generates a power to the LED on the reciever it lights up when they're moved, however, the throttle won't work when power is generated from the wheels, it's not a sufficient power, showing the ESC isn't powering the reciever, so I think re-bind + THC cable re-solder is probably the best solution
Thoughts ?

Oh, moving the steering will power the Rx, that makes sense now. Anyway, check the cable, if it's not that, probably fried internal BEC in the ESC.

This is why you gotta have multiple RCs, so you can mix n match for troubleshooting purposes :)