Identifying a RC car

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedRacer5873

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi there,
A couple days ago my uncle found this nitro car at the dump, I'm working on restoring it, but i am having trouble figuring out what car it is as it has no branding anywhere except on the engine. the car has a weird suspension setup where its got double wishbone suspension except two shocks on each shock arm, would this be called quadruple wishbone suspension?. we think its possibly some sort of monster truck, the engine is a SH racing engines SH .28 engine, there's the chance of the brand of car being redcat racing. also the engine block has a big hole in the side and a crack down the opposite side, we are thinking of just using kneed it (as liquid metal is no longer available) to try and fill in the hole and crack, any help with this situation would be great.

Thanks!

IMG-8183.jpg
IMG-8184.jpg
IMG-8185.jpg
IMG-8187.jpg
IMG-8188.jpg
IMG-8189.jpg

IMG-8190.jpg
IMG-8192.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you so much!
No problem! I was half asleep when I responded earlier, I read a little more and that engine is kaput, my friend. If it’s cracked on both sides of the block, the engine probably threw a rod, was probably ran lean as heck and revved up to the moon, bearings are probably toast.unless you really like tinkering and your dead set on rebuilding, I would absolutely purchase a brand new engine instead. Also, parts are fairly scarce on eBay as this thing is probably almost 20 years old, just be aware and if you’re serious about restoring this, I would definitely get whatever little parts you may, or may not need while you still can! Good luck 👍

Yeah, the moment i took the engine off i saw the cracks, the con rod is intact and the piston moves. the bearings move, but I'm not sure if that means that they are fine. I'm wondering if some kneed it/liquid metal might work to restore the block, otherwise I've found a new block online for like 60 bucks. do you think that may work?
also, do you know which version it is because when i search it, it comes up with like stadium truck version, a monster truck version, and a truggy version, also do you know what the shock config is? is it considered quadruple wishbone suspension or something?

Last edited:
Tough question. I never had to repair a block like that, but I’ve heard of some people doing it, not 100% if it would even hold or not but you could always try it! The thing is, something wild happened for the block to crack like that. Could have been from a huge jump or something, but I have a feeling something major let loose in the engine, even if it feels “fine” and everything still moves. Might be metal pieces and shavings in the engine now. Not sure what the suspension would be called, kind of an old school, odd ball set up though for sure. And it’s definitely the monster truck version, and not the stadium truck or the truggy version. Almost bought one at my local hobby shop a couple years back, but it was freakin beat and I couldn’t pull the trigger lol. I definitely encourage you to pull apart the engine though and try and fix it, either with that new block or the kneed/jb weld method. Maybe someone else can chime in that’s had success doing that.

Yeah, the moment i took the engine off i saw the cracks, the con rod is intact and the piston moves. the bearings move, but I'm not sure if that means that they are fine. I'm wondering if some kneed it/liquid metal might work to restore the block, otherwise I've found a new block online for like 60 bucks. do you think that may work?
also, do you know which version it is because when i search it, it comes up with like stadium truck version, a monster truck version, and a truggy version, also do you know what the shock config is? is it considered quadruple wishbone suspension or something?
Wonder if the old owner started to rebuild it, or if it was shot with a bb or hit with a hammer?🤔

Back