Identify this Helicopter

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grgbulldog

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I got this helicopter along with a blade cp in a trade on craigslist today. Does anyone know anything about it? I can't find this exact one.

heli.jpg

heli2.jpg

heli3.jpg

The Axe HMX was discontinued almost 2 years ago, but it's a belt driven tail rotor heli capable of 3-D flight. They went for about $200, but I think that might have been a kit version, without any electronics.

It has a motor that is connected to the tail rotor.

Hmmmm. Well then, that might not be the stock canopy, or they changed the design.
I KNOW the Blade CP has a belt driven tail.

What's the size comparison with this one next to the Blade CP?

Here are a couple size comparisons. The last one is a comparison of tail rotors. Both have motors?

helis5.jpg

helis2.jpg

helis3.jpg

helis4.jpg

Wow, I'm just not thinking right. NOT the Blade CP, it's the BELT CP that's in my fleet. None of mine have tail motors. What's the length of the rotor, tip to tip? I'm thinking they might be 250s rather than 350s or 400s.

the cp is about 19 inches and the axe about 20

edit on that last one. The Cp is about 21 inches and the Axe is about 22 inches.

My ruler is not 10 inches. It is 12.

Man, this cp must be ancient. It has a 4 in 1 control unit instead of a 3 in 1. How long as it been.

I'm thinking they must be 250s, since my 400s are 28" rotors. (700mm)

Look into anything you can find on Axe helis. They're still very popular, well made, with lots of support and upgrades.

Alright thanks. I was working on the cp a bit. I got servos moving but the motor wont turn. The main gear also moves seperately from the rotors.

And it does. Wonderful.

Before getting a new ESC, set ALL your trims to zero. If your throttle trim is up, even a hair, it will not feed the motor.

I'd go for: Heli-max Axe CP

http://www.helimax-rc.com/helis/hmxe07-index.html

These are in Real Flight G4.5. Its the middle of the range and has:

Heli-Max Axe EZ - much like the Blade CX2
Heli-Max Axe CP - Single rotor collective pitch.
Heli-Max Axe 3D - Same as above but with a bigger motor and more pitch throw for proper 3D flight. <-- this one might be a fictional modification in real flight. The tend to take the "supposedly 3D capable" heli's and upgrade the motor and stuff to make it properly 3D capable.

Apart from the EZ which is docile and easy they are frisky little gnats that are really hard to fly cause they are so small, light and nimble - if the Real Flight model is accurate the one you have is very, very sensitive and correcting a drift requires the tiniest of control inputs, which usually means you over correct and it drifts the other way.

Be warned, one of these can very easily hurt you badly or potentially kill you!

Last edited:
It looks exactly like that. thanks man.

Appears I made a good choice, bought one for my father.....I have to repair it now though! lol
He is having trouble with it not lifting straight up, I heard to add weights to the counter balance blades to stabilize it. Does this sound right?

Appears I made a good choice, bought one for my father.....I have to repair it now though! lol
He is having trouble with it not lifting straight up, I heard to add weights to the counter balance blades to stabilize it. Does this sound right?

Counter balance blades? Are you talking about the paddles on the flybar? If so, there should be four round collars with allen locknuts on them. You need to leave two of them in against the rotor head to keep the flybar centered. The other two, I almost always leave ran all the way out against the paddles. The further out you put them, the more gyro effect they'll have and thus the more stability they add. Hope this made sense.

Yes it does. Thanks. It has one long brass collar out near the blades and one small chrome one near the rotor head on each side. Is that correct or is it missing some?
I'd take a pic, but no camera ATM.

Yes it does. Thanks. It has one long brass collar out near the blades and one small chrome one near the rotor head on each side. Is that correct or is it missing some?
I'd take a pic, but no camera ATM.

That's correct, and how it should be set up. Make sure the little phillips head screws int he flybar paddles are tight too, that one will drive you bonkers. :hehe:

Thanks for your help. I have to order a new tail boom, flybar tail rotor blades and a new rotor head. First time it left the ground...... I hope this is not too much for heli for a beginner.

Thanks for your help. I have to order a new tail boom, flybar tail rotor blades and a new rotor head. First time it left the ground...... I hope this is not too much for heli for a beginner.

Anytime man. I have some setup tips that might help also, some I picked up online, some I came up with through trial and error. So let me know if I can be of any more help. It's a big step for a beginner heli. That being said, I started with a CP and didn't buy not one replacement part for over a month, not even blades. But I took it REALLY slow, did a LOT of reading, and didn't get in any hurry. I never used the ping pong ball trainer either.

Back