I wanna go fast

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StoopidOme

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Boating
So, there's a guy at the local drag scene with a no-prep slash, consistently running 1.7's @ 132ft. What do I need to do to beat him? He talks a lot of smack and needs to be sat down, lol

Last edited:
Do you know what he’s running? Gears, motor, ESC? 330’ is along distance on my slash I’m running 31/50 .08 gears an 4650kv (cheap Amazon XTeam motor) with a HW 160a ESC when I can control it and get it to stick I’m running 1.7-1.9. I mess with gears a lot there’s an app called Gear Speed it will help you along the way. Happy RC’ing Y’all!!! 🇺🇸❤️🤘🏽🏁

The Slash is a really light RC. What tires is he running? Shocks? Those are things I would be trying to find out as well.

We are still waiting for the electronics for our drag Slash build, but our gearing is only around 3.1:1, so I am thinking of running a 3.5T motor in it, then play with the gearing from there. I put the wide Pro-Lines on it because I am guessing traction is going to be a major issue. Still trying to decide what shocks to run, but will probably using some Pro-Lines.

These must be 4wd slashes. Just a day or two ago Frank Ulbrik just broke 1.5 @100+ mph in 132ft rwd no prep. How you guys claim such times on such distance I can't believe those are 2wd o_O

These must be 4wd slashes. Just a day or two ago Frank Ulbrik just broke 1.5 @100+ mph in 132ft rwd no prep. How you guys claim such times on such distance I can't believe those are 2wd o_O
i said 330ft, but it's 132ft. my bad. i'll edit it

So, there's a guy at the local drag scene with a no-prep slash, consistently running 1.7's @ 132ft. What do I need to do to beat him? He talks a lot of smack and needs to be sat down, lol
The simplest answer I can give you on what do you need to beat him??? Money! Spend quite a bit of it! Running 1.7s also takes a lot of time. You must test, check, test, recheck, makes changes, etc. You’re not just going to walk out there, drop a car on the track, and run those numbers. At least, that is, if you’re new to the game and have a newly built car! But with that being said, if you wanna sit his ass down, then it’s absolutely doable!!! We do need to know what platform you’re running or are planning to run. Also, any other information you have about the car is needed. I’m more than happy to help in any way I can. By no means do I know it all, but I do know quite a bit! So give us your setup and car equipment info so we can help you whoop some ass!!!

Don't worry too much about some guy running 1.7s. Worry about being as fast/consistent as you can, AND cutting a good light. You can easily win events running 2s if you're consistent, and good at the light. At these times, even a slight "sleep" will cost you even if you're capable of running 1.5s. All it takes is one slip-up for a fast car to not win an event.

Also, regarding people like Frank running 1.5s. If you watch the vids, you'll see that the track conditions are pretty far from your typical "no prep" track. There's a ton of sticky icky from everyone running the goo on their tires, to the point it's hard to call it no prep at this point. This has been a trend as of late and a huge reason you're seeing these faster times.

Nobody is running that fast on rough, dusty tracks and dry tires, I can tell you that for certain. Low 2s are more typical of the faster cars for that kind of condition. That being said, while the current trend is getting the car as light as allowed, and putting tons of goo on the tires, another direction is to add more power along with some weight to aid in traction. A car like that is likely to be more consistently getting A to B.

Don't worry too much about some guy running 1.7s. Worry about being as fast/consistent as you can, AND cutting a good light. You can easily win events running 2s if you're consistent, and good at the light. At these times, even a slight "sleep" will cost you even if you're capable of running 1.5s. All it takes is one slip-up for a fast car to not win an event.

Also, regarding people like Frank running 1.5s. If you watch the vids, you'll see that the track conditions are pretty far from your typical "no prep" track. There's a ton of sticky icky from everyone running the goo on their tires, to the point it's hard to call it no prep at this point. This has been a trend as of late and a huge reason you're seeing these faster times.

Nobody is running that fast on rough, dusty tracks and dry tires, I can tell you that for certain. Low 2s are more typical of the faster cars for that kind of condition. That being said, while the current trend is getting the car as light as allowed, and putting tons of goo on the tires, another direction is to add more power along with some weight to aid in traction. A car like that is likely to be more consistently getting A to B.

From my experience with 1:1 drag racing lighter is usually faster overall, but less consistent because it's less forgiving if you slip up. Really easy to overpower and slip tires or wheelie.

Hitting the tree and a solid launch win a lot of races in 1:1 and from what I've been reading it's pretty similar in RC drags.

Back