I need a solder station, please help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brad55102

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I am looking for a really nice solder station for my old man for fathers day. He does a lot of soldering and uses a terrible solder gun.

Can you please recommend a good durable solder station for around $100.
also can you explain to me what things i should look for in a solder station.
thank you

what do you guys think of this

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AS28UC[/ame]

40 watts may be kind of low on that Amazon one....

Check out Team Check Points. The Rc Driver guys like it. It's adjustable from something like 300 to 900 degrees. It's $80.

Get a Weller or a Hakko. My uncle has a Weller and it gets hot really quickly. Good soldering iron too. I've never tried a Hakko but I've heard they are well worth it.

Last edited:
I love my Hakko. It takes less than 2 minutes to reach 800 degrees and the recovery time is also excellent. It actually makes soldering fun rather than a chore.

For the money the Team Check Point seems like a real good bang for the buck.

Last edited:
You need to choose the right Weller.

Unlike Hakko, they have some cheap junk as well as quality irons.

The Hakko 936 is their least expensive model.

Just like any tool there are budget/hobby grade models and professional models. I would consider my 40 watt Hakko 936 station a hobby grade model and for all the soldering I've done including using it to melt a blind nut into plastic it has worked beautifully. 40 watts is PLENTY of power for working on RCs.

My mother used to do microscopic soldering and would solder a few thousand joints per day. Her Weller station cost about a grand.

Last edited:
we use a nice weller station at work and its been great. get yourself a third arm as well. those are invaluable

i've decided to go with the Hakko 936-12

thanks for all of your advise.

Please close this thread...

unless you guys want to continue the conversation...

Back