I have to be honest...

• Thread starter Maximum_Quake_Pro.com
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maximum_Quake_Pro.com

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Scale Builder
I'm really just a hack at nitro, see. I repeat what I read on forums, never touched a crank or internals myself, I prefer the glorious sensation of vacuum like auditorial bliss, nothing like the sound of "nyoom" at a staggering 85db whizzing by. Motor minus brushes, powered by a fire hazard waiting to surprise you as you smack a gas meter at 55mph

If you think I am serious about what I typed above, lucky you, your entitled to a timeshare on beachfront property, located in the southwest In beautiful Flagstaff, AZ.

Kids, do the old guys a solid, pick up a nitro, learn a dying art forum.

Attachments

• tmp-cam-8479944998814817078.jpg
    tmp-cam-8479944998814817078.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I prefer my electric ones over my nitro ones. No hassle. Plug in and go. But I like hearing a nitro run. I just can't fiddle with them in my old age. Carrying a car, radio, and my cane outside is rough enough as it is.

I prefer my electric ones over my nitro ones. No hassle. Plug in and go. But I like hearing a nitro run. I just can't fiddle with them in my old age. Carrying a car, radio, and my cane outside is rough enough as it is.
Oh I completely get it, I don't run much myself due to disabilities now. I was in my element during the nitro boom era, and now I am reliving what I can of those days, but it is withering away quick, not one track to run at within a days drive...

And no bashers at the parks

I prefer plug in and go myself.
I honestly don't believe it's a dying art, I just think it isn't as popular as it once was.

It never was that popular around here. I am the only person I know of in my area with any nitros. I am sure there are people with them. But I think I was the only one to ever take one to our local track back in the day. All the usual guys there seemed like they hated me running my nitro on their track. I think it was because I smoked them on the straights with a Jato lol.

I can be credited for creating the stadium maxx, low slung MTs, and possibly what became known as a mutant maxx. But that's for another story time

I think it was because I smoked them on the straights with a Jato lol.

Jatos - striking fear into the hearts of RC racers since 2005 :D

In the drag racing scene, they are pariahs - and often get excluded. Somewhat recently brushless SE racers started getting into the 1.8's and down South some guys were like, hey we've been in the 1.8's for years, lol. Big. Block. Jato :D It's funny watching some of those BBJ's run, half of them just go flying off and careening into walls, or each other.

In the drag racing scene, they are pariahs - and often get excluded. Somewhat recently brushless SE racers started getting into the 1.8's and down South some guys were like, hey we've been in the 1.8's for years, lol. Big. Block. Jato :D It's funny watching some of those BBJ's run, half of them just go flying off and careening into walls, or each other.
I always wanted to build a wicked Speed NT but those are unobtainable

Dont pick up a Nitro it had its days glad its dying (just like the environment it has polluted since day 1).I converted every nitro I have purchased to Electric even my loved 1/16 photon and 10th fan car cox added (shrike) swivel wheels and rudders on back( it was a teether car now its a real rc car and turns heads every time I run it

Yeah, I was present and racing during the transition from nitro to electric as "king of the hill" in top fuel class. Nitro's were running solid in the 1.4's at ~85mph. Along comes brushless/LiPo and begins laying down 1.1's at 100+mph. Nitro guys grumbled and mostly just threw in the towel. Lot of hard feelings back then over that.

Should have been room for both in the class were it not for nitro having to give up lane choice by staging left lane only. Back then, rules package stated nitro exhaust must be down and away from the car. Build technology was such that down and away was to the left. A nitro staging in the right lane oiled up left lane staging-be it for nitro or electric. To a car, most all were running the max 30in wheelbase, which mean they all had to stage and leave in some other cars snot. Another drawback. Ergo, loss of lane choice. Lane choice is often the deciding factor in a race-especially late in the day semi's and finals. Not the only reason nitro gave up the fight, but a significant one.

Have tried nitro three times in my RC career. Last time, though, think I'm done for good. That doesn't mean I don't like nitro. I just don't do it any more.
Cheers. 'AC'

I am clueless about Nitro except for what I read here. I enjoy seeing everybody's builds, but I know I don't have the patience for the mechanical side of it. plus there is no where I could run one where the noise wouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, I was present and racing during the transition from nitro to electric as "king of the hill" in top fuel class. Nitro's were running solid in the 1.4's at ~85mph. Along comes brushless/LiPo and begins laying down 1.1's at 100+mph. Nitro guys grumbled and mostly just threw in the towel. Lot of hard feelings back then over that.

Should have been room for both in the class were it not for nitro having to give up lane choice by staging left lane only. Back then, rules package stated nitro exhaust must be down and away from the car. Build technology was such that down and away was to the left. A nitro staging in the right lane oiled up left lane staging-be it for nitro or electric. To a car, most all were running the max 30in wheelbase, which mean they all had to stage and leave in some other cars snot. Another drawback. Ergo, loss of lane choice. Lane choice is often the deciding factor in a race-especially late in the day semi's and finals. Not the only reason nitro gave up the fight, but a significant one.

Have tried nitro three times in my RC career. Last time, though, think I'm done for good. That doesn't mean I don't like nitro. I just don't do it any more.
Cheers. 'AC'

At some point they got smart and changed "down and away" to "up and away", at least in RCDRL and IMDRA. There's still a lasting effect from those old days though, I've run into some current no prep clubs that refuse to allow nitro because they are worried about the track.

For our ruleset in NPRC East, we've made it pretty simple - must deflect up and away, and you're DQ'd in pre-staging if you're spitting oil. So far in our team TNT days, we've had no issues with a fouled track at all. I even carry a half dozen exhaust deflectors to hand out to the guys that don't read the rules beforehand :D

I hope that day never comes cbaker, but I'm afraid it's right around the corner. First "they" killed 2 strokes and now they are after all ICE's. There is just something about the sound & smell of a finely tuned 2T running castor and leaded race gas that can't be beat. Nothing like in IMO. :thumbs-up:

I hope that day never comes cbaker, but I'm afraid it's right around the corner. First "they" killed 2 strokes and now they are after all ICE's. There is just something about the sound & smell of a finely tuned 2T running castor and leaded race gas that can't be beat. Nothing like in IMO. :thumbs-up:

People doing virtual racing now ,the future is going to be online racing!

LOL

Two things I learned in this thread.
Locking pliers used to grip the flywheel sideways!! Always gripped around it.
And, that multi spanner (whatever you wanna call it), can be used to undo the flywheel nut. I was gonna throw it away thinking it was useless and always used my small socket set, on the flywheel nut.

Thanks a lot @quake_pro

LOL

Two things I learned in this thread.
Locking pliers used to grip the flywheel sideways!! Always gripped around it.
And, that multi spanner (whatever you wanna call it), can be used to undo the flywheel nut. I was gonna throw it away thinking it was useless and always used my small socket set, on the flywheel nut.

Thanks a lot @quake_pro
Don't do this! Was humor

Dont worry ,if you want the sound with out the mess ,it is out there ,but you have to create your own smell!..:hehe::thumbs-up:

Have you seen what Danny huynh does, he has some awesome sounding stuff (all electric but with the sounds of v8s etc that rev when you throttle the controls)

Back