i have an old tamiya nitro rc car and i dont kniw what i am gonna do with it pls help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogman888

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
this christmas i found a vintage tamiya subaru impreza nitro rc car, this car ahs been trashed and hasnt been in use for over 15 yrs! I took it as an oportunity to fix it up and maybe get it workin again, me and my dad striped the thing appart and cleaned all the plastic components, we got the screws replaced and cleaned and also re-greased the differentials and gearing. We also opened the engine and to our surprise it was in pretty great condition, as we removed the cylander head we didnt find any gunked up fuel or anything and surprisingly nothing was jammed except the acselarator lever and the carborator but with some wd-40 and patience we got it all smooth again. tbh the engine didnt have any flaws apart from that and now that we got it all cleaned it is in exxcelent condition. The only thing is that i havent started it yet but i baught all the stuff necesary for me to start it, fuel,new sparkplug, airfilter, fuel filter, ect. rn i am kinda in a spot where i dont know what to do with the thing, i dont rlly have any expierience with nitro rc cars and i only ever has this tamiya electric rc car so this is very new to me, i attached a few images of before and after and stuff so you guys can give me some opinions on what to do and if i should actualy invest in this project or not. some detailes about the car that might help are that it has a disk brake that is kinda surprising to me for an rc car to have a disk brake, something else is that the engine is a tamiya FS-15LT whitch i have come to find is pretty rare but thankfully i have no missing parts or gaskets so i should be ok. last thing about the car is that if i actualy get it so start i wish to change its body as the current one is very old and scratched up so i want to change it. if you guys have anymore questions about the car just reply to the post and i will most definetly answer you.

Attachments

• IMG-20211222-WA0013.jpeg
    IMG-20211222-WA0013.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG-20211220-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20211220-WA0000.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 465
  • IMG-20211220-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20211220-WA0002.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 183
My suggestion is to sell the body and wheels as a set and you may get enough money for a new truck body and wheels.

this christmas i found a vintage tamiya subaru impreza nitro rc car, this car ahs been trashed and hasnt been in use for over 15 yrs! I took it as an oportunity to fix it up and maybe get it workin again, me and my dad striped the thing appart and cleaned all the plastic components, we got the screws replaced and cleaned and also re-greased the differentials and gearing. We also opened the engine and to our surprise it was in pretty great condition, as we removed the cylander head we didnt find any gunked up fuel or anything and surprisingly nothing was jammed except the acselarator lever and the carborator but with some wd-40 and patience we got it all smooth again. tbh the engine didnt have any flaws apart from that and now that we got it all cleaned it is in exxcelent condition. The only thing is that i havent started it yet but i baught all the stuff necesary for me to start it, fuel,new sparkplug, airfilter, fuel filter, ect. rn i am kinda in a spot where i dont know what to do with the thing, i dont rlly have any expierience with nitro rc cars and i only ever has this tamiya electric rc car so this is very new to me, i attached a few images of before and after and stuff so you guys can give me some opinions on what to do and if i should actualy invest in this project or not. some detailes about the car that might help are that it has a disk brake that is kinda surprising to me for an rc car to have a disk brake, something else is that the engine is a tamiya FS-15LT whitch i have come to find is pretty rare but thankfully i have no missing parts or gaskets so i should be ok. last thing about the car is that if i actualy get it so start i wish to change its body as the current one is very old and scratched up so i want to change it. if you guys have anymore questions about the car just reply to the post and i will most definetly answer you.

Tamiya is still a popular brand and still in business today ,I would check their site as they may still use those parts
or still carry them if parts are needed!..👍😎
An as far as essentials to run the engine ,it can be other brand glow plugs such as OS brand ,fuel line or fuel
to get the engine running ,but the engine would to be dissembled ,cleaned & lubed ,carb as well!👍

Heres the site.
https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/rc-support/parts/nitro-engine-spare-parts/

Last edited:
Tamiya is still a popular brand and still in business today ,I would check their site as they may still use those parts
or still carry them if parts are needed!..👍😎
An as far as essentials to run the engine ,it can be other brand glow plugs such as OS brand ,fuel line or fuel
to get the engine running ,but the engine would to be dissembled ,cleaned & lubed ,carb as well!👍

Heres the site.
https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/rc-support/parts/nitro-engine-spare-parts/
thanks bro, apreciate your support i actualy took apart what i could from the engine and i cleaned it and lubed it so it should all work might start it this weekwend, fingers crossed it runs.
That’s a nice car Tamiya nitros are hard to come by
thanks bro, the thing is if i have broken or missing parts its also hard to find.
That’s a nice car Tamiya nitros are hard to come by
thanks bro, the thing is if i have broken or missing parts its also hard to find.
My suggestion is to sell the body and wheels as a set and you may get enough money for a new truck body and wheels.
i dont know rlly cos one of the rims spoke things are broken and the shell as i said is all cracked and stuff plus i dont wanna spend money before i confirm that it works u knoe.

Last edited:
i would gladly take that body and those wheels off your hands if you lived in my area lol
vintage, so its just cool to have on a shell :)

but what's more important, what do you do with a recently purchased RC car?
YOU RUN IT!:cool:

and if it doesn't run, you make it run baby!!

Welcome to RCtalk!

Oh my that was one of my very favorite models i had no clue at 13 what i had and wish id kept it but i wouldn't have it still due to theifs over time.

Would you be interested in swapping me that car for another nitro model of your choice, offroad is all i have though. Id make it worth your while on your end value wise,.I had to ask

sorry its been long since i have looked at the rc talk forum i forgot about it. recently i was interested in buying an rc buggy 1/8 scale but they are expensive so i thaught about selling this one, the only thing is I'm not sure cos it has abiit of sentimental value as it was my uncles

Nice car!

Wish I had family or friends who could dig up things like this and gift to me. hahaha.

Get it started and use it as a Sunday driver. Don't bash it. Don't sell it.

Back