Hyperion EOS Battery Sentry

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmob

LET’S GO BRANDON!
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Ever wonder how many volts are left in your pack? What percentage is left in the pack for storage?

It was time (way over time actually) to check on my packs yesterday that have been stored for awhile. The Sentry made checking the voltage and such such an easy process that it paid for itself in time saved.

If you use LiPo or LiFe packs, the Hyperion EOS Sentry is one of those tools that you can't do without.

Very simple plug and play device. If you use LiPo, the initial reading will be all you need with no buttons to press. With LiFe, you will need to change the battery type after plugging in. Will also show individual cell voltages so you can check if the pack needs balanced.

Will work with NiMh, NiCd and Li-Ion as well.

http://hyperion-world.com/products/product/HP-EOS07SENTRY

HP-EOS07SENTRY.jpg

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product.../183295/n/Hyperion-EOS-SENTRY-Battery-Checker

I have got to get me one of those!

I only run LiPos, so I use an E Flite tester that I grabbed at the LHS on an impulse. Much easier than having to connect everything up to my charger, and I can use this in the field for setting my timers on the aircraft quickly and easily. I highly recommend a stand alone device

43qDj.jpg

I have got to get me one of those!

I picked mine up from a vendor at RCX earlier this year. So glad I did. FastEddy picked one up as well shortly after I showed it to him.

Most quality chargers will give you the same info, but nowhere near as quick as this little guy. I was able to check about 18 of my packs in under a minute.

The Sentry is a stand alone device that is only a little larger than a flip top lighter.

Last edited:
Hey Rob,

Does this checker come with adapters so you can plug in packs with deans on them? From the picture I am having an issue trying to find out how packs plug into those pins. THanks

Tom

NiMh packs are plugged in using a standard 3 pin connector like the one used on servos. You would need an adapter from Deans or output connector on your pack.

You can download the 2 page manual from this site.

http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/sentry/default.htm

NiMh packs are plugged in using a standard 3 pin connector like the one used on servos. You would need an adapter from Deans or output connector on your pack.

You can download the 2 page manual from this site.

http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/sentry/default.htm

So basically you are saying cut the end off of a crappy servo and solder it to a male deans plug?

That's correct.

That's correct.

That I can do... I have a few of those old plastic gear servos that came with my JR radios that are a perfect candidate. Thanks

Tom

I'm going to check around my workshop and see if I have an old NiMh receiver pack stashed away to check on this to see how it works.

If I do, I bet it's completely dead.

I know someone who has the same thing, and I have it admit it's a cool little device, and is almost invaluable when you want to check your packs before/after using them.

Being the cheap bastard that I am though, I found these:

1-6S LiPo Checker

1-7S LiPo/LiFe/Li-ion Battery Checker

I only use LiPos in everything I have, so I went with the first one. For like $2 each, I picked up a bunch of them. They work great and I always have one in arm's reach.

Of course, you don't get all the fancy buttons that the Hyperion has. And if you use NiCd or NiMH, I guess you need something like the Hyperion anyways.

/my2cents

I'm going to check around my workshop and see if I have an old NiMh receiver pack stashed away to check on this to see how it works.

If I do, I bet it's completely dead.

You mean see how the sentry tests NiMh packs or see if the connector works?

To see how it tests it.

On its way to my front door!

This is a sort of on topic question that one of you may know that answer to. I've thought about leaving mine plugged in, and putting velcro on both the voltage checker and my heli packs and sticking it to them, since I can see it through the canopy. Any idea how much extra drain this would be on the pack? I wouldn't think much, but I've been wrong before.

I wouldn't think it would be much.

Plug it in for an hour and see how much the voltage drops.

Back