hump packs vs. failsafes....

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aj200415

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I want either a failsafe or a humppack for my ride.

today my car got outta range and was doing circles at a high idle(luckily) in the road. witch would be better IYO. i dont have a big budgit so i can't get a real good one. i was thinking http://www.hobbieguyrc.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=18223&category_id=369

what do you guys think?

also, if anyone has a good deal on both or a single one of these, shoot me a PM (not here, cause its not in the F/S forum)

I use Ofna micro failsafe. it is small and easy to use. you need a failsafe. I would get it first.

FAILSAFE!!!! more batteries are a lot cheaper than an assload of new parts! which is what you'll be buying if u don't get a failsafe on there!:2cents:

If you can only get one of then get the fail safe.

You're best off getting both. Hump packs allow you to recharge your power instead of having to keep feeding alkalines. But they can dump when you're driving, just the same as alkalines. If you have to choose one of the two, you're better off with the failsafe. That way you're covered. Nothing worse than a runaway, and a rechargeable pack doesn't guarantee against them. I use the Ofna micro failsafe in all my rides and it works great. Plus it's really small and doesn't take up much room.

Where do the failsafes go on the truck and are they difficult to install?

hi there,

Definitely the failsafe first. However, the above says to get the Ofna unit....I've heard that those were very problematic. I'd suggest the Futaba FSU-2...it's worked problem free for me and it's TINY...it'll run you about $20

Battery pack is another "must have" to utilize the full power of your servos...but the failsafe is paramount. You can get a pretty good quality 5-cell pack for $20 if not less....check out the usual retailers (LHS's, TowerHobbies, etc) and if you can't find anything, PM me and we can arrange somthing...

EDIT: the Rx pack in your link looks fine for average use...especially with the charger, I'd go for it if you can fit it in your budget

Last edited:
Candyman said:
Nothing worse than a runaway, and a rechargeable pack doesn't guarantee against them.

Unless you're like me and you knock the connecter between the hump pack and the Rx loose and your car takes off even though you have a fail safe!!

Anyways, I think you're better off with both. Between the two, I'd have to say a failsafe.

hugo said:

And also, Hugo, failsafes go inbetween the Rx and the throttle servo. They hook into the place where the throttle plugs into and they plug into the servo too.

hugo said:

And also, Hugo, failsafes go inbetween the Rx and the throttle servo. They hook into the place where the throttle plugs into and they plug into the servo too.

What all of you have failed to touch on, most failsafes will not work properly with alkalines, alkalines will fade away rather than a sudden drop as with a hump pack. So as the voltage begins to drop off, it will cause the failsafe to operate erratically. So you really need to do them together. I also add a throttle return spring to all my rides, just as a little added insurance.

Edit...............Please post a new thread in the FS forum, Thanks.

- NCNitro

Last edited by a moderator:
NCNitro said:
What all of you have failed to touch on, most failsafes will not work properly with alkalines, alkalines will fade away rather than a sudden drop as with a hump pack. So as the voltage begins to drop off, it will cause the failsafe to operate erratically. So you really need to do them together. I also add a throttle return spring to all my rides, just as a little added insurance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The throttle spring is a great idea if you're running a rotary carb'ed mill...especially on an offroad application. And the Futaba unit i suggested before works fine with both alkaline and NiCad/NiMH packs

i would luv that, but i need a cahrger too for it....

4u, you got a PM

that ofna hump pack with charger that adj was looking at up top there, is that a 1400mah ? because they sell a 1400mah hump pack seperate without a charger for the same price

A failsafe is a near must,but a quality hump pack helps.I made a few using GP1100 cells.A bit of an overkill but haing a few dozen spare GP1100 helps building hump packs.

Failsafe first,if the car runns out of range no pack will bring it back or stop it :whip:

monstercowpower, you got a PM

How comfortable are you with building packs? Most small electronics stores have cells you can build packs out of.

I'd buy a f/s and build a pack if you can afford that.