HPI super nitro RS4

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quickywd01

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, sorry my first post is here but traxxas mods are anal. :boxing: my friend has an old HPI super nitro RS4 that he used to run and he offered it to me for a grand total price of $50. It has an o.s. .15 engine and he said the car needs some repairs but the engine runs. I have a pic he sent me through his camera phone but the quality isn’t that good. Just tell me what you think, I was planning on getting it for my brother for christmas since he got me my Revo. Anyone know how it is to deal with these parts? Feel free to leave any comments. Thanks.

Parts are pretty easy to get, most hobby shops *should* carry them. Aftermarket support is plentiful.

Couldnt' tell you how easy it would be to get it back to driving condition without looking at it closely. If you could post some seriously detailed pictures, I could probably tell you most of what you'll need.

Thanks but I dont think he has his digi cam with him. Ill call him and try to see what he says.

Sorry for the noob question but I just wanted to clarify how old it is. The last time I saw it run was in 1999 so what is it called? HPI RS4 Pro (original) or HPI Super Nitro RS4? Its not the MT because I have a pic of it with the old diablo body and slicks.

Them are discontinued, so the parts are getting harder to get. I almost took one in on a trade a while back, but it needed some parts, and I found out why he was eager to trade it. I couldnt find the parts anywhere besides on ebay and they were crazy in price. Maybe it was just the time or something, but I couldnt find sqwat. They look like decent rides though. There a tad bigger than the normal Rs4 and require a bigger body. Also I believe the rims and tires are 2.2's. For $50 though it sounds like a pretty good deal. Did he say it was Rtr or did it need anything?

For the most part, they share much of the same parts as other RS4's, only real difference is the upper and lower chassis, as well as the a-arms, belts and dogbones.

With the exception of the dogbones, everything else can be found in the aftermarket. I know for a fact you can do some serious stuff with just wolf pack radical parts.

Just to add, if I were gonna do a serious aftermarket build, the super nitro (belt version) would be what i'd choose. It's got an insane amount of potential.

Last edited:
kwong2001 said:
For the most part, they share much of the same parts as other RS4's, only real difference is the upper and lower chassis, as well as the a-arms, belts and dogbones.

With the exception of the dogbones, everything else can be found in the aftermarket. I know for a fact you can do some serious stuff with just wolf pack radical parts.

Just to add, if I were gonna do a serious aftermarket build, the super nitro (belt version) would be what i'd choose. It's got an insane amount of potential.
Sounds great, I kind of showed my brother an old pic of the beast with an old diablo body with a two tone paint job (black top, orange bottom) and he said he would like to try one of those out.
4u2nv said:
Them are discontinued, so the parts are getting harder to get. I almost took one in on a trade a while back, but it needed some parts, and I found out why he was eager to trade it. I couldnt find the parts anywhere besides on ebay and they were crazy in price. Maybe it was just the time or something, but I couldnt find sqwat. They look like decent rides though. There a tad bigger than the normal Rs4 and require a bigger body. Also I believe the rims and tires are 2.2's. For $50 though it sounds like a pretty good deal. Did he say it was Rtr or did it need anything?
I dont know which exact model it is but I did see parts online so I'm not too worried because I'm getting that nitro with control and alot of parts he said plus hes throwing in his electric r/c. So this should be a nice gift! And I'm glad they're not new because we can do whatever we want to them now. He's got a good imagination so I'm pretty sure he'll come up with something sweet. I'll post pics of everything in detail when I get the box. :cheers:

I remember him saying that it said Powered by OS on the bottom. Did they come stock like that?

which sucks becuase the 15 fe was under powered in the rs4

Super Nitro

I can't say enough good things about the HPI Super Nitro, parts are plenty on Ebay, Tower Hobbies stocks quite a few parts as well. These cars are a blast to drive, they are very realistic but can be modified to hilt if you wanted to go that route.

Here are a few pics of my Super Nitro,

I don't have many mods on my Super Nitro, only a header and pipe, aluminum A arms.

It is hard to tell from the photo that you submitted but I think yours may be the rally version.

hi there,

Take a look a wolfpackradicals.com...just a few ideas of what you can do to a SNRS4