Hpi savage x 4.6, need advice, just ordered one

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThiagoDelima

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I just ordered a Hpi savage x 4.6, for what I see from my research it's very durable, but does anyone think I should have any spare parts on hand just in case? and which ones ? , or suggest cool upgrades I can do I near future.
Thanks,
T

Some people may disagree with me on this one but I'm a huge fan of steel spur gears along with hardend steel clutch bells. If you can't afford to buy the clutchbell and spur gear then invest in a couple of plastic ones for the time being. This would be one of the first upgrades I would do along with upgrading to a rechargable receiver pack. The pack tends to last longer than the standard AA's and gives a more constant voltage to the servos. You'll also need the hump pack style because of the radio box.

Heres a link to the pack as an example:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVRH2&P=0

Awesome, thank you

I run steel spur gear and the same clutch bell setup as well I have never had a problem with the steel spur gears, not sure why some dislike running them.

High Speed Low Drag:whhooo:

I run stock plastic spur gears on all of my trucks and have never had a problem. If you have issues getting the gears meshed right, you'll tear up $50 worth of CB/spur instead of just a $5 spur. I'd much rather spend my $$ on better upgrades. Stock servos are known for being weak and going out, especially on the Savage, I'd look into Savox or Hitec. You could also look into RPM arms and tuned pipes.

I've ran steel and plastic, I prefer the steel, because with the right mesh they last much much longer... the one thing with running hardened cbs and spurs is that I always set my slipper a bit more loose than normal. doing this I still have the original spur that came with my xl, and I put at least 3-4 gal on it so far

as far as what backups.. uphmm one of the first things i would do is get the integy rear hubs, to eliminate your rear tie rods, then when the arms break get rpm arms. Another upgrade to consider are new servos, and the ofna throttle mod. I know this isnt a list of backup parts, but if you take care of these mods early on it will save some head aches..

now for spares i always keep a spare set of tie rods, pullstart, front/rear skids, hingepins, body clips, wheel nuts, set screws, glow plugs, shock towers, body mounts, I know I'm missing something.. tomorrow I will go through my box and ill list what i keep on hand when i run my savage. Of course you may not run yours as hard as I do mine, but I have broken at least 1 of everything listed above with my xl.

Last edited:
I'm with Schroe on this one I only use plastic spurs. Assuming you have no issues with your kit and you have a proper gear mesh a plastic spur will last a very long time and you dont run the risk of screwing up gears in your tranny or screwing up your clutchbell if your kit does develop a problem down the road.

As for upgrades the only thing I would upgrade right out of the box would be the steering servo and possibly the engine. other than that I would buy hop ups if/when things break.

Another thing you could get is a really good temp gun. It's really helpful knowing the range of your temps while your running. Also cutting a hole in the front windshield will keep your temps down as well.

My friend just bought the same savy X a couple weeks ago and loves it. The only issue he had so far is the one way bearing crapped out on him and hpi sent him another. Hes already went thru 2 gallons of fuel and the rig is running string as hell. He did also lose the pin out of the rear shaft but other than that the truck is tough as hell rtr.