HPI Savage 25 Engine Replacement

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raptor1

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi Everyone,

I‘m getting back into the hobby after a break of around 10 years. I have a Savage 25 which I started briefly a few times yesterday, but now when I use the rotostart or turn the flywheel the piston does not move up and down. This happened after I after started it up sgainst a wall to keep it still. The engine revved fairly high and tried to move forward but obviously couldn’t. The Nitro Star 25 engine is discontinued now so I’m looking for a replacement. Are there any which will fit without having to make any other changes or upgrades? I will only use it for mild off road bashing so don’t necessarily need a lot more power. Will the HPI F4.6 V2 used in the Trophy fit?

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

I‘m getting back into the hobby after a break of around 10 years. I have a Savage 25 which I started briefly a few times yesterday, but now when I use the rotostart or turn the flywheel the piston does not move up and down. This happened after I after started it up sgainst a wall to keep it still. The engine revved fairly high and tried to move forward but obviously couldn’t. The Nitro Star 25 engine is discontinued now so I’m looking for a replacement. Are there any which will fit without having to make any other changes or upgrades? I will only use it for mild off road bashing so don’t necessarily need a lot more power. Will the HPI F4.6 V2 used in the Trophy fit?

Thanks
Welcome to the forum. Well first thing you should never start a nitro against a wall. Start it then hit break or adjust linkage and idle so doesn't roll. But they should roll a little bit. Did you pull the motor apart yet. It's probably just the connecting rod. Which you might be able to find. And not need a full engine replacement..
Hi Everyone,

Thanks
I would rip the engine apart see if you only broke connecting rod. Here's a site to check out their in the US as well.

https://www.hobbyrecreationproducts.com/collections/hpi-racing/replacement-parts-piston-sleeve-rod

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Hi mate
Force 28 bro or f4.6 .it turned my savage into a wheeley machine.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks
Hi mate
Force 28 bro or f4.6 .it turned my savage into a wheeley machine.

Attachments

• 20220226_220606.jpg
    20220226_220606.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 60
Welcome to the forum. Well first thing you should never start a nitro against a wall. Start it then hit break or adjust linkage and idle so doesn't roll. But they should roll a little bit. Did you pull the motor apart yet. It's probably just the connecting rod. Which you might be able to find. And not need a full engine replacement..

I would rip the engine apart see if you only broke connecting rod. Here's a site to check out their in the US as well.

https://www.hobbyrecreationproducts.com/collections/hpi-racing/replacement-parts-piston-sleeve-rod
Hi Stoner, thanks for your reply. I haven’t taken it to bits yet as I’ve not done it before, so a bit nervous about doing it. Suppose nothing to lose tho’, at worst would have to buy another one. Definitely worth doing as the engine has only had a couple of litres through it since new. Will have a go!

From my experience them cylinders are very difficult to remove! I had 3 of them and could not remove one of the cylinders for love nor money but hope u have better luck than me bro . I have parts if u need anything

DO YOUR self the best right thing right away

Buy this Motor.
You will be very happy
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/.26-mach-2-truggy-engine-with-pull-spin-start/DYN0990.html

easy tune in, easy use, great quality, great price, bulletproof workhorse

trust me please

Dynamite .26 Mach 2 Truggy Engine with Pull/Spin Start
Item No.DYN0990
DYN0990_A0_OC2QDPBV.jpg

Key Features​

• 13mm turbo ported crankshaft
  • 2-needle carburetor
  • ABC 6-port piston and sleeve
  • Knife edged connecting rod
  • Pull start/Spin-start combo equipped

Overview​

Engineered specifically for 1/8 scale Truggies, the Dynamite® Mach® 2 Truggy .26 engine combines superior performance with cool looks at a very affordable price. With features borrowed from the Dynamite Platinum line, this engine boasts a 13mm turbo ported crankshaft in addition to the ABC 6-port piston and sleeve to bring you an engine that blows the competition away. Whether you're a backyard basher or an occasional racer, you won't be disappointed with the performance and durability found in the Dynamite Mach 2 engine series.

avoid 28 size, they drink too much Gas for nothing

26size is more economic, same performance actually

https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...ch-2-engine-with-pull-spin-start/DYN0992.html

big red 28 is second option, little more torgue
drinks alot more nitro than 26

both almost same performance anyways

DYN0992_A0_PTSMDVFV.jpg

The only time i prefer 28engine is when you use huge heavy big aftermarket wheels.

otherwise i go 26 , saves alot nitro, alot money saving

these are best motors less than 300bucks
i have about 20different nitro engines 21-30size more than 10 nitro cars, i know things actually :)

by the ways, old Savages are nice great cars, durable,
Enjoy and welcome back to this wonderful hobby

been more than 20years in this hobby now

Thanks rccar4life appreciate your advice. Going to take the s25 engine out this week and check it over. Will have a look at your suggestions if I need a new one. Did the hobby for years when my sons were younger, then moved over to rc heli’s. Really looking forward to getting back into cars again.

Thanks rccar4life appreciate your advice. Going to take the s25 engine out this week and check it over. Will have a look at your suggestions if I need a new one. Did the hobby for years when my sons were younger, then moved over to rc heli’s. Really looking forward to getting back into cars again.

Helis are awsome if you can fly them :)

I did 1000bucks heli nitro build, it last me 15seconds, up and down , in 100 pieces LOL

Good luck, hope all goes well. I ended up going with a HPI 4.6V2. It was quite straight forward to install in my Savage 25. The only modification I had to make was to file down the engine mount slightly as the new engine was wider. I also fitted a new clutch.
I’ve partly run it in , but need to put a couple more tanks through it before I tune it properly.

I collect those engines always need parts.

I can recondition to new but that is a wait and cost nearly what a new rtr mill does
Yes to your question on f4.6 from trophy.

Have finally rebuilt my Savage 21, the previous owner was a bit of a bodger, so now have a virtually new truck. I have fitted an FC.28 motor. With all the expert knowledge from you guys - what fuel do you suggest ? 16 / 20 / 25 octane ? Bearing in mind either longevity or thrashing what would be best ? I am just itching to fire it up and run the engine in. Thanks in advance guys.

Back