HPI Pics

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using 2 OFNA ones for 4+ years and the only thing they do, is their job. Go too far, it engages, batteries get low, it engages, shut off remote, engages.

Eh well it brand name doesn't really matter to me anyways

As long as they do there job idc lol

today at hobbytown the venom looked cool and was tiny. I think it was $29.99

Yeah they do look pretty nifty lol

Btw heres a short list of the things I'm gonna possibly get this weekend

Fuel Filter
Rechargeable battery pod
Couple extra glow plugs (just in case)
Fail safe
And a 3 way tool w/Plug holders

someone said get spur gears but i dont see why? i dont ripp on it really hard

Besides that small list do u think i should snatch up anymore little handy parts?

lol i guess i should pick up a few of thouse while I'm out

any more stuff i should grab?

If you bash hard (and even if you don't--never know when a curb will jump out at you) I would have a couple extra a-arms and shock towers around just in case.

Oh, and some ball ends too!

Last edited:
If you bash hard (and even if you don't--never know when a curb will jump out at you) I would have a couple extra a-arms and shock towers around just in case.

Oh, and some ball ends too!

lol they do tend pop outta nowhere sometimes lol

Thanks fer the input :]

And if ya got the mioney, shock oil, diff oil, and and extra set or 2 of tires and rims.

Geeze you guys make it sound like i want to start a race team with this thing lol
:hehe:
Where do you even put the diff oil?
Wouldent i need grease cuz i dont think its a sealed diff?
And how offten would it be needed?

Last edited:
Geeze you guys make it sound like i want to start a race team with this thing lol
:hehe:
Where do you even put the diff oil?
Wouldent i need grease cuz i dont think its a sealed diff?
And how offten would it be needed?

I think your supposed to maintain it every 10-15 runs,

Shocks, youll know when they start to go, there recoil starts to be weaker and weaker.

I think your supposed to maintain it every 10-15 runs,

Shocks, youll know when they start to go, there recoil starts to be weaker and weaker.

Well where do you put diff oil because i dont think i have a sealed diff
wouldent i have to use grease?
And your saying I'm gonna have to pretty much take it apart every 10 runs and clean everything and oil it all back up?

Well where do you put diff oil because i dont think i have a sealed diff
wouldent i have to use grease?
And your saying I'm gonna have to pretty much take it apart every 10 runs and clean everything and oil it all back up?

No you dont have to, but to keep it in TIP TOP, as in professanol, as, but i dont think many do,

diff oil, goes on the diff. Grease? not sure..

No you dont have to, but to keep it in TIP TOP, as in professanol, as, but i dont think many do,

on the diff? u mean like put drops on the gears?

And why would i need to add oil in the shocks if they dont leak

Diff oil goes IN a sealed diff, not ON the diff. Not all diffs are sealed, Kyle's aren't. In that case you use diff grease. It is ideal to clean and lube 'em from time to time. Most say an average of every 15 runs...

Diff oil goes inside the diff housing with the planetary or spider gears. Not sure what you have.

Regardless... I service mine in my MT's at most, once a year. Or when I shell a diff. That's probably on average 5 gallons of use or so per vehicle. For a small block, probably every couple of gallons. Inspect diff bearings, gears, lube...

As for spur gears, I'd get a couple for spares. They get fried easily. One little mishap (hard hit or roof landing) that moves the engine and zip, gear is toast. Get a pebble in it, zip, toast. They are usually cheap enough to have at least one in your pitbox.

With ST's, having spare arms, axle carriers and shock towers will help you get through a weekend.

I ran a XXX-NT many years ago and it was pretty fragile.

I now have a jato and it can take a heck of a beating, but I have RPM arms on it and a nice wide RPM front bumper/skid on it. RPM makes things more forgiving to impacts. So I don't have much for spares other than spurs and a rear shock tower.

Back to your diff, I downloaded your manual (40M took a minute...). It appears you have a spider diff that is in fact sealed, so you could use oil to give you more of a positraction vs having grease which means when a tire lifts in a corner, that tire spins and unloads the diff. Not sure what weight oil you should run though. Never had a sealed spider diff in a 2wd ST before. Would of rather had that than a ball diff though like the stupid XXX-NT had. I'm sure it's good for "racing", but for a basher, it's just a pain to maintain.

on the diff? u mean like put drops on the gears?

And why would i need to add oil in the shocks if they dont leak

Occasionally you should rebuild the shocks with new seals, new shafts maybe and new oil. Over time, the oil gets dirty and grimy which will eventually chew up the seals and make the leak. For a basher, when you notice leakage, either buy new shocks off ebay for cheap or get rebuild kits, oil and shafts... and ball ends... hell, I'd just hit ebay for new entire shocks. They are plastic and usually cheap enough. Case in point, Ebay Rear Firestorm Shocks, $6.99 (Item: 250350701443).

Last edited:
:goodpost:

Yeah so that pretty much blew my mind
Definitely in depth research there

I know who I'm going to hands down if i ever have any questions

Thanks olds XD

:goodpost:

Yeah so that pretty much blew my mind
Definitely in depth research there

I know who I'm going to hands down if i ever have any questions

Thanks olds XD

You will soon learn all of this stuff. 99% of it will eventually be your own personal "rc common sense" that we all gain with time. As you work on and drive your rig, your experiences will be what helps you learn what you need to know and possibly apply it to future vehicles down the line.

Until you get a lot of time behind the wheel, there are a lot of guys here willing to help and a lot of stuff already posted if you do a search. However, I know being new means you don't really know what to "search" for (I know I didn't in the beginning). Just open up a new thread in the proper section for your vehicle, explain your issue as you see it and I'm sure someone will be along within a day or two that has been there with the same issue 10 times before that can walk you through it.

Don't forget, when you are at the point that you want to set your vehicle on fire or god forbid, switch to electric :)D), just take a breather and post a question. It's a hobby. Hobbies are supposed to be fun!

:bowtothercnt:

Just remove the rcnt and put in "olds" :D

Greatly very much so appreciate the help!