HPI nitrostar 15 fe rebuild questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fast_Eddie_86

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
okay so I'm in the middle of rebuilding this motor and i got to thinking maybe i could mod it a little to get some more power out of it. i notices theres a decent amount of material for the sleeve wall. i was wondering if there was a way to bore the sleeve , or if they make a rebuild kit like this, and how about porting work?

or would it be cheaper to just look into a new engine all together?

You could use HPIs engine trade in program. For $65 you can send that engine back to them and get an .18 that will scream in that car. The .15 FE was not a powerhouse by any means, so imo it's not really worth the money to rebuild that engine.

It's late tonight, so I won't be able to answer the question exactly how you hope.
But the last time I stripped my .15FE I did do a touch of porting to it to try to improve the flow in the cylinder. I don't know how much it truly helped, but I do know that with the use of the 2 speed tranny I can run it up to just about 40 mph. Not blazing fast, but I think that's a bit faster than a stock FE.
If I get ambitious over the weekend, I'll pull the sleeve out of it to show you. I just happen to have the car semi-stripped down for it's winter cleaning.

i was actually pretty content with the .15, its more to satisfy my need to tinker with engines in the never ending quest for more power. figured id tinker with this while I'm waiting on parts for my real car

cool, thanks candyman, that would be greatly appreciated.

Are you still running the single needle carb on your .15 fe Fast Eddie?

Give the porting a try, worst case scenario, if you mess it up, then you can always take advantage of the trade in program.

yeah thats always an option NCNitro - and yeah the carb is still the stock one. idk i have some ideas to improve airflow through the carb and the exhaust port. I'm still trying to figure out a way to bore the sleeve and maintain the pinch... any ideas?

The carb is junk, no way around it. If you tune it for it to idle and run good at low speed the top end will suffer, if you tune it to run good when you are on the throttle it will not idle for crap and take off from a stop will be terrible. The best thing to do would be to replace the carb. On mine I used an OS10e carb, it was a direct replacement. However they are kind of hard to find now, you may want to check ebay for one. But as long as you leave that carb on there the performance of that engine will suffer drastically.

excellent point NCNitro ill take a look around see if i can hunt one up.